SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a strange one this.

Car has been running fine (T16S w/air con), but in traffic a couple of days ago noticed that the idle was dropping quite low (~500rpm). Then it actually stalled. After that had to drive the rest of the way home using a combination of heel & toe and the handbrake, as everytime I came off the throttle the revs dropped like a stone and it tried to stall.

When I started it this morning it seemed fine, but after a couple of miles it was doing the same - I assumed due to warming up. Return journey 3 hours later, was still doing it, but then noticed towards the end of the journey that it was OK. Not sure if it's just when the revs drop quickly (ie when you come off the throttle when accelerating to brake) or whether coming off the throttle slowly makes a difference.

My feelings are that it's hopefully just a sensor going bad. Any thoughts on which one and how to test though? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I would check all of your vacuum hoses and turbo ductwork. Perhaps one of them blew off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine does this from time to time and i can`t really be ar5sed to find out why. I think its the AIC valve, not the throttle plate cos thats clean and the butterfly is set correct. Not vacuum hoses or any other hose loose or disconnected cos it would do it all the time. Some days its fine, others its not :roll:

If you find out what it is let me know cos its probably the same fault as mine.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I am making a wild guess and saying,,,, the idle control valve? does it even have one? could be a bad spark plug? check the resistance one all 4 and the leads as well, check the distributor, maybe one of the rods has corroded.

Good luck.

·
Registered
896 Posts
On both of my 900's this problem was caused by a bad deceleration dashpot. The diaphragm was just wore out and was not cushioning the throttle lever at all when I left off the gas. Twist the throttle lever on the throttle body and let it go. It should take like 3-4 seconds from the time the lever contacts the dashpot until you hear the microswitch click. You can try to find one in a junkyard, I always just buy a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts