SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 03 linear with almost 84k on it, and i just noticed tonight when i started the car, it idles rough and uneven. (idles goes from 800-1000 by itself when standing still,) and from that i get this uneven vibration in the car from various places,(especially from front dash-like plastic rattling) and exhaust sounds tad bit offset from normal also (i could tell right when i started the car it didn't sound/feel normal) , it was fine till yesterday and idon't know what's going on, does this sound like my car's got some serious problem?? your comment will be appreciated, thank you!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had new sparks and wires around 60k. it hadn't been 20k since new plugs yet,
and vac- idon't know if it was replaced ever or has a leak, im bout to go off to dealer and see what's up, i'll update what the problem might be,
thankyou!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My 04 has done this too for a few months. On random occasions I'll start it and about a second or two the idle will be low and sputter for a few seconds then it's fine. It's so random that I never really looked into it. It's never effected the car. Never stalled out or continued to sputter so I never really worried about it. Figured it was the cold. I found if I just tap the gas its fine. Not sure if it's a plug or possibly a fuel pump starting to die out. If yours is a serious problem than mine is sure in trouble ha.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just came back from the dealer, there was no cel, plugs/wires are fine, vac line no prob, no exhaust leak, nothing! everything was fine but there still was vibration, one thing they said it might be is that i might have a little water in my gas, ( but i always fuel no lower than 89 at mobile) or my intake is suckin in wet air from rain..

i'll try different gas first, then maybe 5W40 oil instead 0W30.. i'll keep it posted!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got 5W30 instead 0W this time, idle have seem'd to go away for a day, but i came back today again, maybe rain gotton into my intake??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MAN! this thing is driving me NUTS! only when i stop, it idles rough, vibration is noticable but dealer says nothing's wrong?!
engine even sounds unusual, and when i first start the car (first time of the day) there are clicks/knocks from the engine but the weird thing is, it drives fine!

any suggestion on this??or anything that i can check on for unusual vibration?
there has to be somthing wrong with this isn't it?? thanks for your time and notes wil lbe appreciated,

·
Registered
830 Posts
MAP or a sensor somewhere in the intake system or the throttle step-motor/potentiometer or the idle solenoid?

My Alfa used to behave exactly like your car. And the problem was in the throttle potentiometer. The resistance at its low-end had started to fade and produced erroneous readings sending random measurement figures to ECU. And the ECU was driving the engine NUTS!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info,
wouldn't something like that throw on CEL?
dealer plugged the car to computer and nothing came up as unusual...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not necessarily. You might not get a CEL. ECU gets a wrong reading from the throttle position sensor and it thinks it is the correct one and that you opened slightly the throttle. So ECU compensates by adjusting the injection flow. However, other sensors on the car (e.g the MAP sensor) are sending the message that the throttle has not been really opened (i.e. no increase in air flow). So ECU has to compensate back again. And all of this circular phenomenon created the stalling and uneven idling. That was the case in my Alfa.

As you can conclude from the above, there is no reason as to why you would get a CEL. ECU thinks everything is normal and tries every time to compensate based on the readings it gets from the sensors.

Wrong or bad ignition might also give you the same stalling result. In that case the ECU should have registered the misfiring and with a Tech II you can retrieve the error. But you said no error is registered in the ECU.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
alot of people have had the idle problem. I have an 06 and mine occasionally drops to 600rpm at stops. Dealer said its fine.

Someone said they got the idle changed via tech 2 but I think it was bs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
had a similar problem..

I thaught it was a vacuum leak.. but was not..
bad spark plug.. but was not..
bad ignition coil.. look to not be that..

Took a compression test.. found the my cylinder 4 is almost dead... got 90 for this cylinder and 165-175-175 for the other...

Now im waiting to see if i will change the whole engine or maybe could only repair what is bad..;oops:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh shoot that sounds bad.......so should i should get compression test done? or anything beofre that?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh and i'm not as much worried about the idle as the vibration,
now if it's just idle that's dropping, i can think it's fine but when something's vibrating like mine i'm concerned that something's broken or cracked tiny bit throwing off the balance when the engine's turning....and i'm heading towards something major...I DONT WANT MY CAR TO DIE!!! I FREAKIN LOVE MY [email protected]@!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
compression test is easy... you have to take off you sparkplug.. then put the tester instead of the sparkplug.. then crank your car and check the compression... you do this for the 4 cylinder.. should take 30 min overall

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My friends a3 realigns its throttle body quite often and has similar symptons to what the OP is saying. Is this also the case for saab petrols?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info,
if sensor thinks i have stepped on the throttle a bit, wouldn't idle go up??

so today i started the car for the first time and i let the car run while i had a cigarette out side, all of a suddle idles REALLY rough and came super close to stalling/shutting down then came back again,

and while i was on 75 S highway going towards detroit, car did that on me while i was driving about 70-75mile, i literally i thought that was the end of the car and myself.

dealer said there's nothing's wrong to me earier this week, i'm gonna go in first thing tomorow and i won't be so kind this time..as i came about 1/4inch to ..idonno....DEATH??:x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts