SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a question out of curiosity. For nearly as long as I've had my C900 Vert, It's stalled when idling during hot weather. I usually have to foot-feed the idle or just restart often after coming to a stop.
Years ago, a shop moved the Idle Control Valve slightly away from the engine.
I recently had all tubes replaced with Silicone, and the shop removed the spacers I had installed on the IDC. Sure enough, the last few 90+ degree days, she stalled predictable.

I reinstalled spacers (a mere ~1/4") and yesterday, pushing 100, she ran perfectly again.

Question is, why?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd have to guess heat expansion is causing the piston to bind in the valve body. Have you cleaned out the valve?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, probably within a year, and in the past too. Giving it some space is tried and true.
Expansion makes sense, I might squirt some lube in, but then again, unless it starts stalling now, I'll probably leave it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Definitely not normal behavior. It's 100F+ for weeks on end here and I've never experienced that on a c900. I would suspect another issue - actual marginal AIC, bad MAF, maybe O2 sensor, vacuum leaks, etc.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
There was a Service Bulletin about removing them from the clamp for some year/model. I forget which ones, and why.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a Service Bulletin about removing them from the clamp for some year/model. I forget which ones, and why.
Oh, that's interesting. So the shop from long ago had some guidance, not just happenstance. I recall they did know exactly what the problem was when I brought it in.

I'd love to see the SB... It doesn't take much separation from the block to resolve it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts