SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished dropping an engine/gearbox/ancileries into my car and i started it up for the first time today, there's a few bits to sort out still but it's doing something odd, it seemed to idle slightly low then if i move the steering wheel left/right the idle picks up a bit for 10-20 seconds then drops back down again.

Any Idea's?

cheers Si

·
Registered
166 Posts
Presumably when you turn the wheel the power steering pump has to run to maintain pressure in the system, however on my car all I hear is a hiss, I've never detected an increase in rpm's.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
It sounds like its just the pump laboring a bit when you turn the wheel and the engine is responding to the added load by increasing rpm's to keep it from stalling, like a good little engine should. :D I'd check the fluid level and make sure the belt isn't too tight though. I suppose the pump could be on its way out.....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Si said:
I've just finished dropping an engine/gearbox/ancileries into my car and i started it up for the first time today, there's a few bits to sort out still but it's doing something odd, it seemed to idle slightly low then if i move the steering wheel left/right the idle picks up a bit for 10-20 seconds then drops back down again.

Any Idea's?

cheers Si
I'll guess a small vaccum leak . Check those pipes . How tight is the belt? You only want it tight enough it dont slip.To tight will ruin the pump and balancer in a hurry. Pat

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorted

Simple fix, I just loosened the belt slightly and it's running fine now, no difference in idle, the whole engines running smoother and smoother everytime i start it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts