SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an 1999 9-3 (2.0L 4-cyl Turbo), and I've been having problems idling. When I start my car in the morning (I live in LA, so the mornings aren't particularly cold), the engine starts just fine, but after a few seconds of idling, the RPMs drop and the car almost stalls. Usually it recovers quickly and the problem goes away until the next "cold" start. I've had problems idling at stoplights before (about 1.5 years ago), but that was solved by replacing the EVAP purge valve. This time, after reading here and elsewhere I thought it might be the Idle Air Control Valve, so I decided to take it out and clean it (I also cleaned the throttle body for good measure). When cleaning the IAC I noticed that the valve was not fully closed at rest, see the attached picture. I can't find any info on how this valve should be at rest, but I'm assuming partially open is not where it should be. Can someone tell me how the valve should be at rest. Is my valve broken?

Thanks!
/Erik

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I can say I don't recall mine looking like that, but it's been a while since I had it out.

Have you checked all vacuum lines?

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Your idle air control valve looks normal. I replaced mine with a brand new Bosch recently, and even that one is always partially open like that. It would need to be so that if the electric motor failed, some air could still get through to let the engine idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeremy!

May I ask how you determined that yours was broken? Is there a test one can do to make sure it works properly?

Cheers!
/Erik

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
My car's idle speed started going all over the place. I replaced the IAC with one from a junkyard, and it seemed better, but not perfect, so I bought a new one when Amazon had one of their Warehouse Deals on one. The idle's not as steady as on my wife's 9-5, but it's as good as I can ever remember it being.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car's idle speed started going all over the place. I replaced the IAC with one from a junkyard, and it seemed better, but not perfect, so I bought a new one when Amazon had one of their Warehouse Deals on one. The idle's not as steady as on my wife's 9-5, but it's as good as I can ever remember it being.
Where’s the iac located on a Saab 9-3 se 2001?

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
There isn't one on a 2001. IACs were only used through 1999. They were no longer needed when Saab switched to electronic throttle bodies in 2000. My assumption is that the electronic ones are opened a small amount at idle by the ECU to let air through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There isn't one on a 2001. IACs were only used through 1999. They were no longer needed when Saab switched to electronic throttle bodies in 2000. My assumption is that the electronic ones are opened a small amount at idle by the ECU to let air through.
Do you have any idea what could be causing a misfire only in park and neutral. In drive and reverse it doesn’t miss at all. I’ve replaced ignition rail and spark plugs. Any other idea? On a Saab 9-3 2001

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
221 Posts
Had a similar issue with cold start idle fluctuations that showed up on cold starts when it was cold out. Turned out to be a bad MAF, it was an aftermarket one that was in the car when I bought it - I replaced it with a new OEM one. You might want to try cleaning yours first to see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a similar issue with cold start idle fluctuations that showed up on cold starts when it was cold out. Turned out to be a bad MAF, it was an aftermarket one that was in the car when I bought it - I replaced it with a new OEM one. You might want to try cleaning yours first to see if that helps.
I have a oem mass air flow I recently cleaned it. When I start my car it idles fine but if I leave it in park and it gets right above L it starts to miss. It also won’t miss in drive or reverse. It only misses in park and neutral.

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
221 Posts
A bad crankshaft position sensor (CPS) can cause misfires.

If you have an OBDII reader that you can use while driving, that might give some insights. There are some codes that don't show up as error codes. Driving with the OBDII connected is how I found that my CPS was bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts