SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cleaned out the valve using carb cleaner. The car was fine for a day or so, now it wants to idle high all of the time even at rest. I suspect the valve is just bad. I am not willing to spend the $277, so I am going to buy used. Do these valves just "go"? I figure it has to do with the mechanism that opens and closes the valve. The valve was cleaned and lubricated using the how-to. Right now the valve is unplugged because it can't be used like this.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
My thoughts ...
The IAC should be cleaned/lubed as part of the every 30K miles service...
If not, after time the solenoid inside cannot operate freely and burns out.
Worse yet, the solenoid cannot be removed...I THINK...The manufacturers must stop this no service/ no maintenance/ no repairability business...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of this part not able to be taken apart and repaired when I first took it off of the car. It is a real shame.

One final question before I purchase, will a 1999 part work on my 1996 if the part number is exactly the same? I would assume they used these valves for many years.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I was afraid of this part not able to be taken apart and repaired when I first took it off of the car. It is a real shame.

One final question before I purchase, will a 1999 part work on my 1996 if the part number is exactly the same? I would assume they used these valves for many years.True, but I believe '99 was that last year.. [/QUOTE]
Yes; particularly if the P/N is identical.
The solenoid should be test-able...Use your meter or introduce some current to it....It pays to know absolutely that a part is bad.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I do not have a meter to test this with and I have been searching online for quite a while. When the key is turned to the on position the valve opens all of the way. I think it is opening too far and not closing as I did not want to run the car with this part off of it's hoses. The idle is high and the car wants to move forwards like someone is pushing the gas pedal. Sometimes the idle will get stuck and fluctuate between 1500-3000 every second or so.

With the valve unplugged the car runs normally. It wants to stall in reverse and neutral, but it doesn't keep a high idle either.

From my searching it seems many have bought a new IAC only to have the same problem. With the amount of build up I cleaned out it would nbe no shock to have a faulty valve, I just wonder if it could be something else.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a '00 saab 9-3 turbo that i suspect may have a iac issue. how would i go about cleanig it and lubricating? I seem to have a few issues with my car. So if i could try to fix this or at least service this part it may help me:D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idle Control Motor operation

My mechanic tells me that the idle control motor may have gone bad on my '99 9-3. At stop lights the idle will drop and it will hesitate and sometimes stall. I removed the idle control motor and cleaned it out as suggested above but it didn't seem to be gunked up. I also used some leaders to test the solenoid on the battery and it operated, but it moved a couple times before opening fully. Is this normal operation? Should it open immediately when connected to a current? Is this motor supposed to be an open-close operation or does it use variable current to open partially?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts