SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm at stopped in traffic the idle is slighty erratic. Feels like the power is momentarily dropping. It is idling at just under 1000revs and drops a little, feels like the it is gasping for air bit of a shudder and it recovers! Car hasn't stall and drives fine in general.
In an older car I had (not a SAAB) which started out with similar symptoms and got worse the throttle housing needed replacing.

Any ideas? Dirty spark plugs? Air filter? Next service due next May.

Cheers:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check your PCV. I had the same symptoms. I was changing the plugs and noticed this small hose coming from the throttle body. The PCV has broken and caused a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
For a fluctuating idle, I too would check for vacuum leaks. Follow the 4mm vacuum line from your bypass valve back to the firewall, and check all of the hoses that connect from there. My hoses were completely rotten, so I replaced them. Not only did the car idle better, but it also boosted higher and had improved fuel economy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Idle problem

Thanks for the replies, interestingly I had been thinking fuel economy was dropping but I was putting that down to a lot of city driving lately (could be a combination of both). I'll check me hoses!...and report back

Forgive the ignorance but what's the PVC?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
bsabre said:
Thanks for the replies, interestingly I had been thinking fuel economy was dropping but I was putting that down to a lot of city driving lately (could be a combination of both). I'll check me hoses!...and report back

Forgive the ignorance but what's the PVC?
PVC is the crankcase ventilation system, I'm not sure which hose he is referring to however, I'm not to familiar with the system other than the PVC Update #6.

·
Registered
212 Posts
PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It is a system used to create a vacuum in the engine block to ventilate gasses getting past the piston rings (blow-by). In the olden days, engine cases were ventilated to the atmosphere. Stronger emissions standards mandated the PCV system which connects a tube from the engine crankcase to a vacuum source on the intake manifold or throttle body. There is a one way valve in line to ensure that pressure only goes one way.

Pull the engine cover and do a quick check for loose or disconnected hoses or hoses with cracks or splits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Throttle Body

Hi,

At last, I got the car fully serviced last week (SAAB dealer). Full service, and I explained the idle problem. They said they cleaned the throttle body (EURO 103) and all should be ok. It was for a day! And the problem is back (not as bad, but still there). I phoned today and they said they will take another look. The price on the throttle body from the dealer is up to EURO 800. I saw one online (elkparts.com) for EURO 355.

The dealer said the problem can be solved by a few cleans....But as I said on a previous car I had (non-saab) the same problem was only resolved with a new throttle body.

- M

·
Registered
133 Posts
I cleaned the TB today which has cured the fluctuating idle and lurching at low speed. It was absolutely filthy!!.

I'll also be following Kermit's recommendation of spraying the carb cleaner down the vacuum pipe every 6 month's of so to keep the residue at bay.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've heard some say one of the hoses connected to the throttle body is one way. Is this true? I mean one way as in air should only move through the hose in one way and a check valve or something stops it from going the other way. I've got one hose in particular that connects to the TB and can be seperated into two parts with one having a little nozzle type thing. Is that supposed to be something that stops you from being able to blow air both ways on the hose? If it is, where do I buy a new one, because I can easily blow the air from both sides of the hose.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
crosseye said:
I've heard some say one of the hoses connected to the throttle body is one way. Is this true? I mean one way as in air should only move through the hose in one way and a check valve or something stops it from going the other way. I've got one hose in particular that connects to the TB and can be seperated into two parts with one having a little nozzle type thing. Is that supposed to be something that stops you from being able to blow air both ways on the hose? If it is, where do I buy a new one, because I can easily blow the air from both sides of the hose.
Hose C at this site

·
Registered
364 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
Ok, I've seen that hose in my car, it's back behind the engine by the firewall. However, I've got three hoses that connect directly to the TB. Two look like regular hoses, but the third is like two hoses in one. A small section has a piece that looks kinda like this: ---> (kinda like a pen tip with ridges, maybe I should take a pic when I get off work :lol: )
that slides and locks into the bigger section which makes it now one hose. Then it connects to the TB.

EDIT: While this thread is talking about the TB, I figured there was no sense in making a new thread if not necessary, but I have an idling problem myself outside of maybe the TB issue.

This has only happened to my wife so I've never seen it do it. However, 3 times now she has had the CEL come on while the car is parked and running. It always goes away the next day, or it clears and doesn't return if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes. It hasn't come on while driving or sitting at a light, but she's left it running for a couple of minutes picking up a soda at the gas station or grabbing something from the house. When she returns, the CEL is on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Throttle Body

So....put the car back into the dealer to check out the revs again. This time they said a new throttle body needed at a cost of 1,100 EURO (that's a whopping 1,700 USDollars)...I declined their kind offer (considering the TB part can be got online for less than 300 Euro.

I've contacted an independent mechanic to take a look...saga continues...

Next general question...do Saab dealers have advatage over independent mechanics? What I mean is, given the part needs to be replaced is this something a good mechanic should be able to do and not require any special skills or equipment from SAAB?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Throttle Body Replaced

Hi, bit late updating my own post...

but late last year...the SAAB failed to start, made a lot of noises but would not engage...AA to the rescue...lifted the back seat and gave the fuel pump a few whacks! which got it started....Suggested I get the pump replaced...

So, I went back to the dealer and struck a "deal" to get a new throttle body (see earlier post) and a new fuel pump (about 1500 EURO was the damage)...and have had no problems since - that was about 6 months ago.

But then...since last week noticed when taking sharp left turns the odd time the oil light blinks on for an instant and the warning sound comes on for just a brief second...what's up...low oil and sensor is activated on a turn???

Here we go again....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts