SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better to be prepared if a volcano blows. What should you do with your car in that case. Of course, the first thing is to run for your life. However, if the volcano is far away and just ash is coming, what should you do?

1. Try not to drive, try to keep the car indoors.
2. Change air filter and oil often.
3. Try to wash car often but not rub the ash into the paint and scratch it.
4. Maybe try to replace the brake fluid and power steering fluid since the caps to those reservoirs are not airtight but have small holes to allow venting.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
About a year ago I visited the Japanese island of Kagoshima where a volcano had been spewing ash for several days. Many cars were covered with ash - it is something they are used to. The suggestions you offer seem reasonable.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Cover it, don't start it..... Actually you should have left the area before the ash fall, for your own and family's health and safety reasons first and foremost

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Get excellent insurance, with rental, flat bed towing, and a high replacement value type payout !

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Finch, are you concerned about a volcano erupting over there in Washington? :p

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Get excellent insurance, with rental, flat bed towing, and a high replacement value type payout !
Will your excellent insurance cover "an Act of God" or "Natural Catastrophe" ...
Many travellers finding themselves stranded this week in foreign lands are learning the hard way .. :eek:

But what's happening .. are you having bad dreams .. or planing to move to some dodgy place..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finch, are you concerned about a volcano erupting over there in Washington? :p
Mount St. Helens is in Washington state. It blew up in the 1980's. Portland, Oregon was affected most. Mount Rainier, the tallest mountain, is an inactive volcano. Inactive volcanoes can become active.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Mount St. Helens is in Washington state. It blew up in the 1980's. Portland, Oregon was affected most. Mount Rainier, the tallest mountain, is an inactive volcano. Inactive volcanoes can become active.
Haha thats what I get for posting that early in the morning right? Totally forgot St Helens was over there in skanamia county or something. I think thats right...I probably spelled that wrong.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmmmm.... And the current issue of National Geographic just so happens to have Mt. St. Helens on the cover. Mt. Adams and Hood are also each within ~30 miles of St. Helens, also inactive volcano's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts