SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at doing new brakes on my 2.8. Wondering what other people have done. Looking for the biggest rotor i can fit in front and back with good quality yet not breaking the bank. Any ideas or leads?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just had a huge brake fiasco...

I needed something cheap too because I have little money right now

I bought Centric Premium rotors. F and R along with Duralast Semi-metallic brake pads

All the rotors cost $211 with shipping and the brake pads were $61 for all four

Nothing fantastic or upgraded...bare bones right now

Pep-boys quoted me $1100, but hell, for that I could have bought a Brembo big brake kit from GS :roll:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I'm just going with EBC Yellowstuffs on the front and Motul fluid. Being done this weekend.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Brakes.

The best thing you can do for brakes is to get better tires. Next I would go with a good brake pad. EBC or hawk if they make them. Next I would go with lines and good fluid. I actually got my brakes from brakeperformance.com
I have slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I plan on upgrading the lines and fluid and I will post a thread on comparisons.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Kpsort makes front and rear applications for Saabs. Don't think you can do bigger rotors without upgrading your calipers as this would probably lesson the contact area of the brake pads. Rotora also makes drilled, slotted, or drilled and slotted rotors for most Saab 93 models, couple these with EBC redstuff pads and BF Goodridge stainless steel lines and your brakes will be pretty stout. And as another posted, good tires are definitely a great way tom improve the brakes. It's a shame to see when people go cheap with tires.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Motul fluid? Certain brake fluid have advantages over others?
Oh heak yeah, higher boil point; boiling brake fluid is BAD mmkay. For most drivers this is overkill though. But with software/tuning allowing ~170MPH in a 9-3 Aero...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Motul RBF 600 has almost the highest wet and dry boiling points from all other DOT4 brake fluids. The stock brake fluid (Saab are using) is a rebadged Castrol Response DOT4 (not even a Castrol Response SuperDOT4). So it's worth the change. I did mine recently.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Cool:D

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Brakes are done, wow, they are awesome, much more positive braking, and they don't fade for anything, so far anyways, ~140-65 a few times, no fade !!!! And they seem to work fine cool as well, they worked fine from the moment I left Scarab Performance, and drove through the suburban area for a few miles at about 35 MPH. After several high speed decellerations they do smell like mahi mahi though, but that makes sense because they are MAHI MAHI !!!!!!!!!:cheesy::lol::D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Alcon for saab

hi all, check this out..... haven't seen an alcon BBK for our jets.

cheerios....:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Brakes are done, wow, they are awesome, much more positive braking, and they don't fade for anything, so far anyways, ~140-65 a few times, no fade !!!! And they seem to work fine cool as well, they worked fine from the moment I left Scarab Performance, and drove through the suburban area for a few miles at about 35 MPH. After several high speed decellerations they do smell like mahi mahi though, but that makes sense because they are MAHI MAHI !!!!!!!!!:cheesy::lol::D

Ooh nice color choice. It's a pretty shade of red and its not that bright "hey look at me because I have painted calipers" type of red.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts