SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a few posts of some you using clay bars on your cars.

Spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the car.

Used a clay bar for the first time, absolutely fantastic, the paint is really smooth, didn't seem to take long either - esp. compared to polishing.

I'm really impressed as was my wife, she felt the before and after, she wanted to have a go, tried to get her to do more but she wasn't falling for it :D .

The bodywork really does feel like glass.

Rained overnight ;oops: took the family out today and parked under a tree :roll: .

Now the car has dirt up the sides from the rain splashing on the car from the driveway and now is entirely covered in sap from the tree :eek: .

But, I'm not bothered, since I know that the product really works and won't take long to rectify.

The clay bar has to be the best car prep. product that I've used, ever.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I miss read that title and thought I'd logged into another Saab website :roll:

The clay bar removes everything, so you need to wax or polish the paint now ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D I did wax straight after, but will have to do it again.

Is that an offer Chris? Very generous, let me know when and I'll drop the car round ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I do love waxing cars :cool:

Sorry I hadnt realised you had recoated her in carnauba :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hate to interupt this.......conversation.

But does the clay bar take out any swirls in the paint while cleaning or would i need to use a seperate swirl reducer after?

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where have those other messages gone?

My car is black and yes, the number of swirls that were there have been greatly reduced. There are still some swirls on the car, but they don't stand out like they used to.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
xalfa said:
Where have those other messages gone?
I got a slapped wrist for going off topic...............;oops: ;oops:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I got a slapped wrist for going off topic...............;oops: ;oops:
Good to know that those laying down the law have to abide by them as well !!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi X where did you get the clay bar from...And how do you use it..Have you got to be carefull on the corner of the paintwork in case you rub out the paint...Or is it not that abrasive..Oh and one last question can you use it on metallic..If fact can you do it for me:cheesy:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Never mind where do you get one from, what the hell is a "clay bar"? It sounds great! Will it fix my 5 engine warning lights for me???

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
john tanner said:
If fact can you do it for me:cheesy:
As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to, Chris sounds like he's up for it though...

Slapped on the wrist? Terrible behaviour :D

The clay bar I used was bought from:

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Meguiars.html

If you scroll down and look for Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System.
Yes, you can use it on metallics and YES it will fix your your engine lights, if you spread the clay to cover your messages!

John beat me to that response.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot to say that I ordered a load of car cleaning stuff from them, shipped promptly and every item was delivered.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sounds like a top lad that Chris...I will Pm him my address so he can come down and sort it for me...Cheers chris your a real gud guy:cheesy:
xalfa said:
As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to, Chris sounds like he's up for it though...

Slapped on the wrist? Terrible behaviour :D

The clay bar I used was bought from:

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Meguiars.html

If you scroll down and look for Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System.
Yes, you can use it on metallics and YES it will fix your your engine lights, if you spread the clay to cover your messages!

John beat me to that response.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also forgot to say that it's not abrasive, it won't strip off an existing layer of wax or so the product blurb says.

it's a piece of clay that you rub over the bodywork with the aid of a liquid lubricant (included in the pack that I bought).

Seemed to be a lot faster than polishing and also achieved much better results.

·
Registered
596 Posts
it's a piece of clay that you rub over the bodywork with the aid of a liquid lubricant (included in the pack that I bought).
I believe you get 5 more whp after each use but you must redo within 3 months to retain the uptick...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very interesting stuff this. I always used Autoglym with the extra gloss liquid. Are we all saying this makes the car ultra shiny and smart, more so than the other polishes. If so I think I,ll go with the flow and get some. At least the silver beast will look good even if I have Blackpool illuminations permanently on the dash. Chris will you be at Wessys on Saturday ? if so you could bring your bar with you and do mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes the clay bar will make your finish smooth. But the real advantage is that it also removes contaminats that are stuck to your paint over the years. (Or so i've read)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Claybar is awesome stuff. It will remove stubborn bug splatter, tar spotting (little black specs), rail and shipping dust (tiny brown rust stains) and even paint overspray/moderate transfer.

I removed blue paint transfer from my steel grey very easily. It was on the side view mirror, and came right up. Also removed lots of other speckling of various sources. You should also try it on your glass surfaces. You can use it on your wheels to, but once you do that, save it for that purpose only. Typical claybar useful life is about 3 cars - depending on their condition.

Claying will remove protective waxes and sealants, and does not replace proper polishing. Claybar may diminish the appearance of swirls and scratches, but will not remove them. Using clay is an excellent way to prep paint surfaces for polishing. the results you get from well prepped paint can be simply stunning.

After claying, you should follow up with a minimum good coat of wax.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts