SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a turbo noob, but when I'm ready to upgrade my turbo, which one should I get that will be the most audible? Is there a way to make my stock turbo more audible other than removing the silencer? I heard the exhaust helps out a bit in that area, but want to know for sure...

I know some of you are saying "This ricer just wants it for the sound" and I'm going to say yes, that is the reason. IMO there is no sound sweeter than that of a turbo spooling up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
def need to put on a open air intake. that right there will give you all the sound you want. then for a little added bonus, open the exhaust up. it will costs thousands to upgrade the turbo to one that is bigger than the stock or td04's to get a more audible sound.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
thecanyon2k4 said:
I'm a bit of a turbo noob, but when I'm ready to upgrade my turbo, which one should I get that will be the most audible? Is there a way to make my stock turbo more audible other than removing the silencer? I heard the exhaust helps out a bit in that area, but want to know for sure...

I know some of you are saying "This ricer just wants it for the sound" and I'm going to say yes, that is the reason. IMO there is no sound sweeter than that of a turbo spooling up.
Stg. 1: Open air intake, performance BOV, 3" downpipe, sport exhaust.
Stg. 2: Remove hood insulation, and both weather strips at the front and rear of the hood.
Stg. 3: High flow intercooler, large turbo intake pipe.

Stg 1 will cost about $900 give or take. Stg. 2 is free. Stg. 3 will cost about $700.

the open air and the BOV will only cost about $200, along with the Stg. 2 stuff, these will make a pretty big difference. And as for the ricer thing, non of these are rice mods, they all have a performance aspect to them, naturally some greater than others.

These are the steps you can take to achieve your goals, feel free to mix and match ;).

By the way I've done all of these and I love hearing my turbo echo like a monster inside parking garages, and passing by other vehicles. I got most of these part from genuinesaab.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I liked shadow works's video without the manifold and the flames shooting out in slowmo better:cool:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would say for about $20 you can make your turbo pretty loud. It would be pretty ghetto, but it would be loud. Pull the hose from the BPV to the intake, plug the intake and put a crankcase filter on the end of the BPV for your ghetto blow off valve. Then take your airbox, and rip all of that weak small diameter stuff out. Replace with something larger, maybe a 3" dryer hose. There you go, loud turbo for like $20 and maybe 30 minutes of your time.

Would I do the above to my car? No! But its your car not mine. If it was my car I would buy a Forge BOV and the GS open air filter, but together those are about $210 more than the above.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I went the forge BOV + open air intake route, and I must say it sounds kind of weird. There is some grumble at low rpms, but mostly the only thing you can hear is the whistle of the turbo followed by a pshhht. Sounds kind of out of place, and definitely makes me wish I had the money for a sport exhaust now. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well, IMO the DP is about the only thing that ads to the TURBO sound. Not that I have done that much research on what mods increases noise :lol:
The open air filter will increase noise but it's intake sounds, not the turbo whistleing.

You can always upgrade to say a GT3071 or some Holset turbo, the Holsets make nice and loud whistleing. But bare in mind that this will call for custom headers, intake, dp, IC, injectors, fuel pump, custom tune and the list goes on.
To me it seems pretty far fetched to invest aroun $5000,- just in order to make the car sound in some way:roll:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
pade900 said:
Well, IMO the DP is about the only thing that ads to the TURBO sound. Not that I have done that much research on what mods increases noise :lol:
The open air filter will increase noise but it's intake sounds, not the turbo whistleing.

You can always upgrade to say a GT3071 or some Holset turbo, the Holsets make nice and loud whistleing. But bare in mind that this will call for custom headers, intake, dp, IC, injectors, fuel pump, custom tune and the list goes on.
To me it seems pretty far fetched to invest aroun $5000,- just in order to make the car sound in some way:roll:
I don't know Pade, my open air lets me hear my turbo whine up and down, and the intake noises on a turbocharged car are from the turbo to me. Just my opinion I guess.

But with the expensive mods, none of those are purely for sound. They all have performance qualities that go with them. Thats what I said in my previous post. Not to drop 5 grand on sound.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Mate's got loud with a K&N i57 kit.
Mine got loud with a panel filter and 3" pipe mod.

·
Registered
59 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
my open air lets me hear my turbo whine up and down, and the intake noises on a turbocharged car are from the turbo to me. Just my opinion I guess.
QUOTE]

this is a really dumb question but how do you open the air filter? or is that something that has to be paid for...?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mario_sabrina9296 said:
9-3sleeper said:
my open air lets me hear my turbo whine up and down, and the intake noises on a turbocharged car are from the turbo to me. Just my opinion I guess.
QUOTE]

this is a really dumb question but how do you open the air filter? or is that something that has to be paid for...?
It is called an open air filter or a cone filter or a free flow filter.
In other words a filter that is not in the stock filter box but sits "freely".

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Mario_sabrina9296 said:
9-3sleeper said:
QUOTE]

No such thing as a dumb question, but as paid said, you need to buy a cone filter, they range in price. The Genuine Saab kit is pretty nice.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I removed the silencer, put on a intake and then a HKS BOV, can hear the turbo real nice.

Also but on a MBC and all this will run u under $300 and sounds great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts