SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have questions about icm3 and icm2 builds. Been following saab unleashed videos and they are clear to follow, I’ve got everything to do one build. Several questions I have will help tremendously for me to begin modifications

One is programming the actual raspberry pi with open auto. Not sure the procedure to do this? I have the raspberry pi 4, a case and open auto. I do not know how to put that altogether before hardware installations.

Second question is recommended method to stick the screen together (specifically icm2 and icm3), which specific product recommended or should I get any general sticking tape or glue

right now I have an icm2 completely apart, ready to assemble. Including I just installed into vehicle an icm3. The fit test is good. Base functionality in good condition.

if I have two raspberry pis I would build both icm3 and icm2. I only have one raspberry pi at the moment. Whilst the icm2 is ready to build, I want to install and power the icm3 build first

Thank you
Computer Passive circuit component Personal computer Circuit component Peripheral

·
Registered
83 Posts
First the screen. If you want to use glue, I reccomend the black rubbery adhesive sealant because it will afford you some maneuverability time and will make it easier to remove the screen down the line if you want to upgrade it at some point. That being said, double-sided tape is sufficient.

Open Auto Pro has a really good forum. Lots of people discussing how to do everything from installing to configuring it. I would have probably looked into how to do this before disassembling the ICMs :)

This will get you started -

Install the Pi Imager on your PC - https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

Open the app, and under choose OS, select Open Auto Pro. Select the microSD card that you want it installed on. The imager will do the rest.

When complete, put the microSD card into the Pi - it will now boot Open Auto Pro

Stu

·
Registered
423 Posts
First the screen. If you want to use glue, I reccomend the black rubbery adhesive sealant because it will afford you some maneuverability time and will make it easier to remove the screen down the line if you want to upgrade it at some point. That being said, double-sided tape is sufficient.

Open Auto Pro has a really good forum. Lots of people discussing how to do everything from installing to configuring it. I would have probably looked into how to do this before disassembling the ICMs :)

Open the app, and under choose OS, select Open Auto Pro. Select the microSD card that you want it installed on. The imager will do the rest.

When complete, put the microSD card into the Pi - it will now boot Open Auto Pro

Stu
Grif, on your YouTube channel do you ever do retro fits for OG-93s?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did an install in one of those a few years back, no videos though. It's fairly straight forward thankfully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Stu

hello Stu,

Have a couple of questions, we’ll many of them 😆

first about icm2 dissemble, reason this was my first step because I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t destroy the icm3. Good thing I did because the icm3 purchased had one screw hole dremel 3/4s apart on the plastic surround. With the icm2 apart I notice that the surround may be the same and I can begin the dremel work in advance before removing the initial icm3 install fromthe vehicle? And this surround doesn’t have damage 🙂

second about the download, I have written on to the rpi open auto and the auto box plugin. From this point it seems I may have a long way to go to customize open auto in landscape mode, add the griffin graphic, Apple Maps, etc.?
Passive circuit component Light Circuit component Black Electronic engineering

Circuit component Breadboard Gadget Electronic engineering Technology

·
Registered
83 Posts
The plastic surround is identical on the ICM1, 2 and 3 but you only need to cut the surround for the plastic on the ICM3. But the point is, if you make a mistake with the Dremel on the ICM3 for whatever reason, you can just swap the surround for the ICM2.

Can't help you with the landscape mode - that has happened because you purchased the OLED screen which I advised against. There is a way to program a permanent rotation, have a look on the Open Auto Pro forums.

If you have already installed autobox correctly, all you need to do is Bluetooth your phone to the Pi - it should work straight away. That will give you access to Apple maps and whatever else you have on your iPhone which is compatible with CarPlay.

As for the logo - Open Auto supplies boot screens that appear on the screen whilst it's loading up. There's a Saab one, if you want Griffin, you're going to have to design and code it yourself - again Open Auto Pro forum is a wealth of information. When the device is on, you'll be looking at Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may still be able to return the screen, what screen did you suggest, I may have misunderstood which screen to purchase?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you I shall begin the return process and in search for the non oled screen and proceed from this point

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need the non OLED screen, it is plug and play
new screen "not" oled has been purchased. And return process for Amoled screen has been initiated, boxed and be completed tomorrow. My mistake stu with websites I am not familiar with using o_O

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
new screen "not" oled has been purchased. And return process for Amoled screen has been initiated, boxed and be completed tomorrow. My mistake stu with websites I am not familiar with using o_O

Cheers
The new screen is literally plug and play which is great

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Delivery not until Nov 17th. Will be well worth it! In the meantime I can assemble together the 3.5 inch. Hoping I got the correct screen? 😬

Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
2004 9-3 ARC Convertible
16 Posts
Obviously, once installed you will be able to monitor temperature, but for the minimal cost to add a fan I do not see a downside to doing so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts