SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new ICM3 from eBay and the screen is not working. I am upgrading from an ICM2 system (that works fine, just has peeling buttons). Even after having it married to the car, the screen does not work. When turned on, the backlight on the screen comes on, but no image ever appears (not even a loading screen). The strange thing is that everything else works (Radio/CD/Aux). In fact, I can push the "audio" button and blindly adjust the audio settings. I have tried everything I can think of to get the thing to work, but no success. I have complained to the seller and he "assures" me that the unit functioned when he shipped it (although I can't see how he could make such assurances if he never installed it).

I want to get this thing to work, but I am starting to think it's broken. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 2004 9-3 Arc.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Seems like ICM internal fault/broken screen to me just because of the simple fact everything else works except the screen.

Did he post the pictures with the working screen?
Get back to seller and request return & refund, if he refuses you can file a claim with Paypal/eBay.

Just my opinion, maybe someone that actually did the transfer can chime in.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Seems like ICM internal fault/broken screen to me just because of the simple fact everything else works except the screen.

Get back to seller and request return & refund, if he refuses you can file a claim with Paypal/eBay.

Just my opinion, maybe someone that actually did the transfer can chime in.
I agree. If you didn't see pics of it working online then you probably got hosed. You can try a refund on eBay and all but it depends what was in the language of the sale. Since we didn't buy it we don't know what the auction said. Hopefully you can get your money back.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Didn't the guy insure it when he sent it? If he didn't insure it, he probably knew it was bad. Sometimes eBay and/or PayPal will have seperate guarantees. Go back and look at the ad... Ron

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well, even if the seller does not accept returns, you can file paypal dispute claiming the product was not as described and hopefully you get your money back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seller did not post any pictures of it installed and working.

Since we didn't buy it we don't know what the auction said.
The listing stated the following:

"I'm selling new Radio/Navigation Unitfor Saab 9-3 2006.It may fit a 2005 or even 2007. I bought it thinking that was my problem but i found the problem.I had it installed it for a day,then pulled it out and repaired it.Can't return it . It will need to be installed and programed at your dealer. The part at the dealer is well over $1200. My loss yor gain. I dont think it will not fit in the cars that do not already have the navigation in it. Im not sure if it will fit in the vehile oustide the U.S."

I sent him a message inquiring about the "had it installed for a day" and if it had been properly divorced at that time. In his response he stated:

"Its a new unit Not a rebuilt one. It was not installed! The dealership Found that i had a wiring problem after they pulled my old unit out and fixed it,so i didnt need to install it."

Didn't the guy insure it when he sent it? If he didn't insure it, he probably knew it was bad.
The seller sent the unit insured.

After complaining to the seller, he tried to tell me that (according to his Saab tech), I may have a wiring problem or an amp1 problem. However, because every other function works, I find this explanation hard to swallow.

If nothing else, I may be able to open a file with the USPS under the insurance (assuming it worked when the seller sent it).

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Unfortunately there doesn't look to be anything in the sale that states it was actually in working function. You can try to go through eBay first with a complaint that the unit is not in 100% working condition. But since they seller never stated that the item was 100% working they may not go for it. Paypal would be another route with the complaint that the item you bought doesn't work. Either way you have to hope that they will give you the benefit that the unit is broken and you need a refund.

You don't have anything wrong with your wiring. Since you have ICM2 you should be able to upgrade the HU. The whole deal is just sketchy. I mean he states the unit didn't work in his car and was taken out and repaired. Then the car had a wiring problem, was fixed by the dealer and then he's selling the HU? That makes no sense. Why would you have the dealer fix the wiring problem that was hindering the use of the HU and then sell it? Plus he then states that the unit is new, not rebuilt? Well he already said the unit was taken out and repaired...Seems like a bad deal from the start. You don't have a wiring problem in your car. Everything works without that unit in. It's a bad HU so start filing complaints all over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The whole deal is just sketchy. I mean he states the unit didn't work in his car and was taken out and repaired. Then the car had a wiring problem, was fixed by the dealer and then he's selling the HU? That makes no sense. Why would you have the dealer fix the wiring problem that was hindering the use of the HU and then sell it? Plus he then states that the unit is new, not rebuilt? Well he already said the unit was taken out and repaired...Seems like a bad deal from the start.
According to the seller (as I have interpretted his messages), he has an 06 with nav and his ICM3 was not functioning. He bought this to replace that unit, however, when the dealer pulled out his old ICM, they found a wiring problem and fixed it. He never needed to have this ICM installed.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
No I can understand that. But unfortunately on eBay, NEW doesn't mean working ha. You can buy a NEW Blackberry on eBay, it doesn't mean it will turn on and work ha. I like to make sure that I only purchase things on eBay that say 100% working condition or something along those lines. If the listing doesn't explain that it works properly you're in jeopardy of getting screwed. Thats the problem with eBay sales. Its so easy to get f'd by someone. I think you can get your money back though. If the screen doesn't work then the unit is busted. I don't care what the sellers "SAAB Tech" said.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
According to the seller (as I have interpretted his messages), he has an 06 with nav and his ICM3 was not functioning. He bought this to replace that unit, however, when the dealer pulled out his old ICM, they found a wiring problem and fixed it. He never needed to have this ICM installed.
Gotcha. Understood now. So that's not as sketchy as I was thinking. Did he state where he got that unit from? Brand new from the factory or from another car?

But my point was that you don't have nav. You are upgrading from ICM2. There shouldn't be a wiring problem with your car if your ICM2 works fine.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
When I bought from Fleabay recently, the auction said it had something like ebay purchase gaurantee.....see if yours did. Otherwise, file a PayPal and ebay dispute ASAP....it takes a few days to get money transfered from PayPal, so what you sent him might still be in it. If he already took the money out, even if you win the dispute they cannot get the cash back for you untill he adds more money to his PayPal....

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, my auction did have the "ebay buyer protection" which is, actually, one of the only reasons that I did the purchase. I agree that the story seemed a little strange from the seller, but I figured I was covered if a problem (like this one) happened. Now it seems I may be wrong.

I have never had a problem with buying on eBay. I have already openned a case through eBay, but do I also have to open something through paypal?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way....but when you outbid me, you did me a favor. :lol:

On the other hand, I am sorry to see the issue. IIRC, the unit was still in its shipping box. Have you tried to exhange it with Saab? It's a stretch since you bought it on resale, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As far as I know, you can file a PayPal complaint seperately...but I had to do this a few years ago...since then ebay bought PayPal.

Also, I forgot to add that with the ICM3, it doesnt need to be divorced or married to your car for it to begin working. When you plug it in, should work right off the bat...jsut the station presets wont save when you restart the car....

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I'm getting more info now. According to the seller, the unit was put into his car after the repair was made to his wiring and it worked. At that point, they removed (divorced) the unit and put his original ICM3 back in.

Honestly, this is almost seeming like a software problem. Since the ICM3 has 2 different software programs in it (VIP & OCP) and only one of them (OCP) controls the screen, it seems like the OCP software is corrupted or not loading. Maybe a hardware problem is causing it not to load?

Is it possible that, when the ICM was in the seller's car briefly, something in the unit was set for HIS car that is causing it not to work with mine? He has an 06 and I have an 04.

The idea has been brought up that I could send the unit back to him, he would install it back into his car to see if it works and go from there. Assuming he's honest, is there any reason why i should think the unit will work for him even though it didn't work for me?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it was divorced, there should be no issue...at least as I understand the system.

In my guesstimation the unit was ***. Whether he knew or not is a tough call, because as I recall the eBay add he made it seem like a new unit, never installed, bought on a spur of the moment to fix a problem as a part swap...then found out that the issue had nothing to do with the part. He never mentioned installation or ancillary wiring issues in his car. Returning it to him so eh can test it is a judgement call you need to make for yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts