SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aftermarket Radio

Well I have a '03 linear, and I just hate the radio basically. I really want to get the ICM-3 radio with the color screen installed, or anything similar to it. Does anyone know where I can buy the parts for this? It does not need to be a DIY kit, because a stereo company said that they would install it for me for 100 bucks (which comes with a warrenty). So please post links, and prices.

BTW; I REALLY want one that would have an AUX input or some other way to connect my Ipod rather than a FM transmitter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What is it you dislike about the radio? Changing from an ICM2 to an ICM3 will not change anything but the appearance. But I agree, that color screen looks really neat.

If you can FIND the ICM3, there is a way to install it. Basically it must be "divorced" from an old car and "married" to another one if you find a used one. A new one is rather spendy. The Saab factory part is over $1000US. A used one (if you can find it) can be had for probably $300-400. There has been previous discussion about this topic if you search around. Here is a thread which discusses an ICM1>ICM3 installation:http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117515&highlight=icm3

The install is rather easy. All of the stuff on the dash basically pops out with basic tools.

The AUX input is done the same way on any 2003-2007 9-3 stereo. You install an Aux-In cable (about $40 part) which plugs into the back of the CD player in the dash. It must then be activated in Tech2 by a dealer. If you look in the "Stickies" you will find something about that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acidradio said:
The AUX input is done the same way on any 2003-2007 9-3 stereo. You install an Aux-In cable (about $40 part) which plugs into the back of the CD player in the dash. It must then be activated in Tech2 by a dealer. If you look in the "Stickies" you will find something about that.
I dont want to emulate my CD player. I want an AUX button that I can press like the CD and Radio ones. If i were to emulate to CD player, I would have to undo that inorder to sell the car, because people want a working CD player.

But its not so much I dont like the radio, its I dont like what I cant do with it. I can not do anything with it, for example, Ipod integration, OnStar, Traffic Band, Bluetooth, Navigation(though not entirely important). But I have just seen there really cool aftermarket radios with the nice LCD screen that will display your Ipod menu.... BUT I dont know if those will fit into my car correctly, but I know that all the newer Saabs with the ICM-3 have that AUX option, so thats where I decided to start my search.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
one thing i have learned in the short time i have owned a SS is that no one likes their factory stereo set up, regardless of how many speakers there are, mine only has 4 :cry: i didnt listen to the advice i was given before buying my Aero :roll: it is shockingly poor quality for a premium car :evil:

·
Registered
409 Posts
IIIM3 said:
I dont want to emulate my CD player. I want an AUX button that I can press like the CD and Radio ones. If i were to emulate to CD player, I would have to undo that inorder to sell the car, because people want a working CD player.
I don't really understand this statement. But I gather you are concerned about functionality of the CD player and AUX-IN. Both items are functional when an AUX-IN cable is installed. The AUX-IN cable itself plugs into the back of the CD-Player unit IN the dash and does not disable its functionality. That just happens to be where it plugs into. The cable is behind the scenes and you can choose where or how to attach it to something. Personally, I have it attached to my XM Commander. One selects between CD-Player and AUX-IN by hitting the CD button on the ICM as needed. I know on some other cars you only get one or the other (ie. 2003 Mercedes C-Class), but on our Saabs you get both!

IIIM3 said:
But its not so much I dont like the radio, its I dont like what I cant do with it. I can not do anything with it, for example, Ipod integration, OnStar, Traffic Band, Bluetooth, Navigation(though not entirely important). But I have just seen there really cool aftermarket radios with the nice LCD screen that will display your Ipod menu.... BUT I dont know if those will fit into my car correctly, but I know that all the newer Saabs with the ICM-3 have that AUX option, so thats where I decided to start my search.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to add an aftermarket stereo to this car. So many components of the car are proprietary. You can't really add all that stuff to it easily. OnStar pretty much has to come from the factory. Traffic Band depends on your locale - here in the US most metros don't have that set up. Bluetooth is non-existent for that stereo (at least on US models). Nav takes a lot of expensive gear to make happen. There is new gear which allows you to attach an IPod but it's expensive. All Saabs in theory support AUX-IN, that is not dependent on which ICM you have; its just a matter of wiring it in and having it programmed by a dealer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
boxman said:
one thing i have learned in the short time i have owned a SS is that no one likes their factory stereo set up, regardless of how many speakers there are, mine only has 4 :cry: i didnt listen to the advice i was given before buying my Aero :roll: it is shockingly poor quality for a premium car :evil:
Aint that the truth??!!

I turned my radio OFF when I test drove it so I could hear the engine etc. I just assumed it would be better than a standard radio you get in any basic model car.

There should be some kind of competition of stereo crapness, there is no way Saab could lose!

I am the wrong side of 40 to listen to thumping garage/hiphop boomboxing racket music, just listening to Radio 2 in the afternoon is my bag, but I couldnt even listen to that such was the tinny, ear piercing racket coming from those speakers.!

Since having mine I have fitted some 6x9 speakers in the parcel shelf (paralleled off the little ones already there), replaced the dash speakers for Boston Acoustics and changed the ICM1 for an ICM3 (for aesthetics)

All this made a slight improvement, not fantastic but certainly better than the standard fitment.

I have now fitted an AMP1, centre speaker and front door speakers (need to be Tech2'd to work yet).

This is the only car in 23years I have upgraded a stereo (except my first car which didnt have one!)

Totally staggering Saab fitted the 4 speaker set up and felt proud of their achievement.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Acidradio said:
I don't really understand this statement. But I gather you are concerned about functionality of the CD player and AUX-IN. Both items are functional when an AUX-IN cable is installed. The AUX-IN cable itself plugs into the back of the CD-Player unit IN the dash and does not disable its functionality. That just happens to be where it plugs into. The cable is behind the scenes and you can choose where or how to attach it to something. Personally, I have it attached to my XM Commander. One selects between CD-Player and AUX-IN by hitting the CD button on the ICM as needed. I know on some other cars you only get one or the other (ie. 2003 Mercedes C-Class), but on our Saabs you get both!

Unfortunately, it's really hard to add an aftermarket stereo to this car. So many components of the car are proprietary. You can't really add all that stuff to it easily. OnStar pretty much has to come from the factory. Traffic Band depends on your locale - here in the US most metros don't have that set up. Bluetooth is non-existent for that stereo (at least on US models). Nav takes a lot of expensive gear to make happen. There is new gear which allows you to attach an IPod but it's expensive. All Saabs in theory support AUX-IN, that is not dependent on which ICM you have; its just a matter of wiring it in and having it programmed by a dealer.

After talking to my dealer (who said there is nothing to do) and a number of stereo places here, They have all said that its one or the other. If I want both, I need to get an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
IIIM3 said:
After talking to my dealer (who said there is nothing to do) and a number of stereo places here, They have all said that its one or the other. If I want both, I need to get an aftermarket radio.
Seems like your dealer and installer are wrong. Have your dealer enable aux in Tech II for you then install the aux cable yourself there are instructions in the faq if you follow them it is nice and easy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
IIIM3 said:
One doesn't know what they are talking about and one is trying to sell you a new stereo! CD Player and AUX-IN can co-exist on a Saab stereo. Myself and many others on here have it going.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Teck_II said:
Seems like your dealer and installer are wrong. Have your dealer enable aux in Tech II for you then install the aux cable yourself there are instructions in the faq if you follow them it is nice and easy.
My dad will not let me do it my self. So I have to get a company to do it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
buy the parts and print out the instructions tell your dealer to get his head out of his ***** and follow the instructions you gave him.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahahahahahahahaha

Well I actually have a blown speaker (was like that when i bought it) and I found a great radio that comes with 2 new speakers that is 200 bucks from KenWood. So i think im going to have to go with that option.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't think you understand - there is no cheap option to just slap a new stereo into this car. Some greasy car stereo installer who things he knows how to replace this one, doesn't. If you search around on here, any of the total stereo replacements on 2003-2006's are very drastic and miss full functionality (ie. steering wheel controls).

You are best to work with what the trolls created for you. You can find replacement aftermarket speakers if that is the concern. As far as adding AUX-IN, the components pop out rather easily. It would almost be an insult to bring it to a shop to get someone to do it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Dude... listen to Acidradio... even a total tool can install Aux-in in our cars... plus whatever the installer told you... he is obviously talking with his anus... the stereo is damn near impossible to change in our cars especially the head unit since it is tied into everything. Just read up on saba's guide to creating a 600watt system and follow that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Acidradio said:
I don't think you understand - there is no cheap option to just slap a new stereo into this car. Some greasy car stereo installer who things he knows how to replace this one, doesn't. If you search around on here, any of the total stereo replacements on 2003-2006's are very drastic and miss full functionality (ie. steering wheel controls).

You are best to work with what the trolls created for you. You can find replacement aftermarket speakers if that is the concern. As far as adding AUX-IN, the components pop out rather easily. It would almost be an insult to bring it to a shop to get someone to do it.
KenWood actually makes an aftermarket stereo for Saabs with the ICM-2 radios. Its the KDC-X991, the KDC-X792, The KDC-X692, and the KDC-X592. All having stearing wheel controls, USB inputs, AUX-In, and will allow me to keep the ICM-2 display for the computer info. And will not cost more than 200 bucks to buy and install.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cavedudejeff said:
Dude... listen to Acidradio... even a total tool can install Aux-in in our cars... plus whatever the installer told you... he is obviously talking with his anus... the stereo is damn near impossible to change in our cars especially the head unit since it is tied into everything. Just read up on saba's guide to creating a 600watt system and follow that.
I'm actually going to do that this summer myself, because I dont trust people to mess with the car's computer information. Thats something I want to either do myself or get the dealer to do, but I will more than likely do it myself.

·
Registered
409 Posts
IIIM3 said:
KenWood actually makes an aftermarket stereo for Saabs with the ICM-2 radios. Its the KDC-X991, the KDC-X792, The KDC-X692, and the KDC-X592. All having stearing wheel controls, USB inputs, AUX-In, and will allow me to keep the ICM-2 display for the computer info. And will not cost more than 200 bucks to buy and install.
Oh they do? So you mean to say that everyone has been moping on here about the lack of stereo options for years for no reason? We're all just that blind and unresourceful?

You must also have invented the non-existent mounting brackets. And figured out how to use the stock amplifiers and how to hook into the Fiber Optics. And left the ICM2 in there all at the same time. You must have some bigger dashboard than I have. And all for only $200. Gosh, I'm outgunned. I think I'll just go back to lesser things like mowing the lawn.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Acidradio said:
Oh they do? So you mean to say that everyone has been moping on here about the lack of stereo options for years for no reason? We're all just that blind and unresourceful?

You must also have invented the non-existent mounting brackets. And figured out how to use the stock amplifiers and how to hook into the Fiber Optics. And left the ICM2 in there all at the same time. You must have some bigger dashboard than I have. And all for only $200. Gosh, I'm outgunned. I think I'll just go back to lesser things like mowing the lawn.
Just to clarify things (I had that done today) 200 bucks is only for the radio :cry:. 89.99 for a custom mounting kit, and 130 bucks for labor.... which makes me rethink this....

Does anyone have any links to how to make a Aux-In in the dash? I looked on the FAQ, and found the 600 Watt tutorial, but all the Aux-Ins were about someone that had succesfully created one.

Thanks guys. (I'll probably post a new thread because now this title is irrelevant.)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
IIIM3 said:
Just to clarify things (I had that done today) 200 bucks is only for the radio :cry:. 89.99 for a custom mounting kit, and 130 bucks for labor.... which makes me rethink this....

Does anyone have any links to how to make a Aux-In in the dash? I looked on the FAQ, and found the 600 Watt tutorial, but all the Aux-Ins were about someone that had succesfully created one.

Thanks guys. (I'll probably post a new thread because now this title is irrelevant.)
Buy the cable from Saab.
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=142&products_id=2716

Install it...
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/info_documents/aux-install.pdf

Go to the dealer and get the techII changes made.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SMHarman said:
Does that actually add an AUX input, or does it replace the CD player?

And if I buy the parts from there, will they include the same things of that I would need if I decided to do this tutorial?

Or are they the same tutorials, just worded/look different?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
8 Participants
JMarkert
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing