SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the dealer called and they have the Turbo to IC hose, so I will have all the stuff I need to install the intercooler this weekend. I even fixed up the used Viggen intercooler I got. One of the mounting tabs was broken. So I made one out of aluminum and attached with stainless bolts (See pics below).:cheesy:

FYI: This is the first time for me to drain coolant out of any car, so forgive my lack of knowledge.;)

I plan on draining the rad by removing the lower rad hose. I plan on using a vise grip to clamp it off so I have time to orient the drain to something that will not make a mess.
1. Do you guys reuse the coolant if you catch it in a clean jug/pail? Or should I mix up new coolant? How much can I expect I will need? (My coolant is 2 years old.)
2. After the IC is installed. Do I have to reset the ECU? Do I set up the MBC+A from the start??
3. Can the ECU be reset by taking the connection off the battery? (I don't mind since I should clean the contacts anyway)
4. Anything else I should be aware of???

With these answers I hope this will be a fun and easy project.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did this last year - a good mod and noticeable difference to spool-up time and acceleration. Took about 3/4 hours.
I didn't bother clamping the coolant hose - I just loosend the jubilee clip bit-by-bit to control the flow and collected the run-off in a clean paint-roller tray under the car until I had a bucket-full. Afterwards I re-used the same coolant with a little water top-up but it's up to you.
Didn't need to do anything physically to the ECU afterwards, just found an empty road and did a few 3rd gear accelerate/brake cycles to re-train it.
Other things, rusted screws on the jubillee clips can be a nightmare to get at with a hack-saw if they get rounded off - It's probably worth putting some releaser on them the night before to make life easier for yourself.
Have fun with it!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'll be doing this soon, hopefully. I've heard that it isn't a direct shot down from the radiator, so some aiming is necessary. And a big target would help as well. I'm using one of those big (2 feet by 2 feet or so) oil change collectors. It will keep all the fluid together, and store it for me.

I'll be putting in fresh coolant too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know this is probably obvious but i forget sometimes: make sure that the car has cooled down, that radiator fluid can be quite toasty. But from what I remember, you'll need a different radiator hose to go around the new intercooler plumbing.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yeah the new radiator hose is in a U shape. From eEuro it was only $9, compared to $90 for the other two hoses....:x

·
Registered
919 Posts
Note: the lower coolant hose change is only needed on the ngs. Just keep the mbca on there as well, or just throw it on if its not there already. You will need to squeeze your hands into some tight spaces since some of those clamps allow just 1 angle of attack (narrow holes at that) Besides those tight spaces the job is relatively easy, i think the buper was the trickiest part (first time to take off the bumper)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You only need the lower hose on NG's? So I wasted $9? I was told that you need it with any T5 non-cross-flow upgrade...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well i bought the $9 hose for my 99, but i went to check and see if the inlet hose would fit (before i drained the coolant) and it did. I already have a buyer lined up for mine (mark) Im sure you wont have a problem getting rid of it though.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well if this prevents having to drain the coolant I'll be a happy camper. Maybe I'll just pass it on to some other Saaber in need....

I'm still curious why there is the difference. I thought most mechanical stuff was carry-over from the NG's on the 99's. Oh well, its better this way.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'll also be swopping ICs tomorrow night. Something that I can't check is the pipe sizes (getting car back with rebuilt gearbox tomorrow hopefully).

I know inlet/turbo outlet is 2" hose I.D. Swopped that for cossie pipe before.

Is the transfer to the throttle body 2 1/4"??

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Abbott intercooler

Talking to myself.............

Outlet is 2 1/4" and drops immediately to 2" so it fits. The bumper was a little troublesome and the hose clips just a pain.

5 Stars for wheel-spin & kick-in-pants factors with new I/C though! It's 00:35 and didn't have time to try top-end.

A/F gauge priority now. Mind you I'm running-in a rebuilt gearbox for oooooh at least 5 miles!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts