SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLVED! IC hose Routing Question

As many of you know, I upgraded to a Viggen IC on my 97 turbo. Recently, I remember seeing here (or somewhere) someone mentioning rerouting the a/c hoses that run near the IC so the turbo to IC hose fits better. I was reading a vintage article in Turbo tonight, talking about how often the bends in IC plumbing are more to blame for lag than the turbo sometimes. I know that when I fit the turbo to IC hose, it had to crimp slightly when it encountered those ac pipes. Did anyone have an easy solution to this or is the restriction minimal?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did that! I'm referring to a couple of a/c hoses that pass right by the IC.;):cheesy:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I noticed how much the ac line squishes the ic hose from the turbo. Would it affect anything else if I just removed the hard line, considering I currently have a non functioning ac system? Basically would effect any of the other systems of the car?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just make sure your a/c isn't presurized! I'dlove to know if you notice a difference.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haynes leave u in the dark on a/c. It just says go to a pro. I am sure you could have a mechanic remove the lines for a low price. They may even be able to reroute. Those are hard pipes coming off the compressor, though.:roll:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very true. I may leave it alone. I want to keep my ac but just remove that bottom hard line for the time being. Maybe the better route would be to have a custom pipe made.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I don't know how many of you viewed the original post since I got just a few replies, but this is something you may really want to look into. I posted wondering about a slight kink/crimp in the turbo to IC hose on the VIggen IC. From the turbo, the IC hose passes just on top of two a/c hard lines before heading into the IC. I noticed when I installed the IC that the a/c lines cause the IC hose to crimp a bit as passes over it.

Having never heard anything about this, I assumed it was normal. Well, after emailing a couple of folks off board, no one thought this was normal. I don't know if my hose I ordered from Nick was slightly out of spec or if perhaps there was some a/c work done on my car that perhaps resulted in the hoses being placed slightly off their normal positions. There is a bend in the hose just up from my kink, so perhaps maybe no one noticed this???

Well, night before last, I resolved to figure this out. I removed the hose and trimmed it. This way, the hose would take a slightly higher path to the IC. I trimmed about 3/4 an inch on one side tapering down to 1/4 an inch on the other, hoping that the angle would provide further help. I popped the hose back on and went for a test drive.

I immediately noticed a difference! The turbo was quicker to spool and I realized as it sat in the red that it was the first time I had actually HEARD my turbo spooling since I installed the Viggen IC! I don't fully understand why the crimp would have made THAT much difference, but it did. I had posted in the workshop recently (again, no one had any ideas) about a seemingly increased lack of low end umph this summer verses last. Well, this has definately solved that. Something to keep in mind when installing one of the cross flow intercoolers, I think.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Maybe I'll check mine. I never got too much of a difference out of the Viggen intercooler upgrade myself either. Did you have to take off the bumper to trim this hose or did you have to take off any other body parts?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, all I had to do was jack up the passenger side and crawl under. I was prepared to maybe have to remove some of the plastic underneath, but it wasn't necessary. All I had to do was unclamp the pipe from the turbo and bend it down so I could trim it w/ a knife. The one worry I had was what would happen if I accidently dropped the knife! Maybe try some shears if you have them! Orrrrrr, use eye protection!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm glad you figured it out. I'm gonna look into this because I noticed a pretty serious kink as well. Did your hose have the built-in hose clamps permanently attached to the hose? If so, did you have to trim past those?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hmmm, pictures bkrell? Or more specific dimensions? Maybe I'll see it all when I actually look under there. But that will wait a little while. I'll get back to you on this one.... :roll:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think I am having a difficult time picturing this. It is my understanding from what you said that all you trimmed was the turbo side of the ic hose, and you trimmed it at an angle. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I couldn't really tell from the instructions if you did anything to the ic side of the hose or just left it attached while trimming up the other side. Sorry for the confusion I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It seems to me that he basically cut down the broadness of the angle. In other words it was like a V and he made it more of a U. By cutting down the total length of the pipe, it was stretched out more creating more of a broud curve.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly! The IC hose goes straight down from the turbo then bends pretty much 90 degrees forward toward the IC. Well, on my car, that bend was resting on top of 2 a/c pipes that run from the compressor to the condensor or drier (whatever that is up front). By trimming a bit of the end of the hose where it hooks up w/ the turbo, the required bend doesn't push the hose down onto the pipes as much. Now it merely rests on top instead of being pushed into the pipes, causing a crimp. Sorry for no pics, my wife has the camera full of baby pics!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Makes perfect sense. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt any use of magic in there. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts