SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's 1997 Saab 900S convertible sits much of the year (500 miles last year). Went to start it the other day, battery flat. Eventually jumped it and got it running, but it wanted to idle at about 500 rpm (indicated on the dash tach).

Just now pulled the IAC and flushed it with intake cleaner approved for fuel injection. While shaking it to ensure I got all of the solvent out, I could suddenly feel and hear the rotary valve moving inside the valve body.

Thought that was a good thing, and installed it on the car. Started right up, but the car now wants to idle at just under 2K! If you give it throttle and let up quickly, the revs will drop to about 1100 - 1200 momentarily, but then immediately climb back up to just shy of 2K again.

Did I inadvertently damage the IAC when I shook it? Nothing else was moved/changed...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
Wife's 1997 Saab 900S convertible sits much of the year (500 miles last year). Went to start it the other day, battery flat. Eventually jumped it and got it running, but it wanted to idle at about 500 rpm (indicated on the dash tach).

Just now pulled the IAC and flushed it with intake cleaner approved for fuel injection. While shaking it to ensure I got all of the solvent out, I could suddenly feel and hear the rotary valve moving inside the valve body.

Thought that was a good thing, and installed it on the car. Started right up, but the car now wants to idle at just under 2K! If you give it throttle and let up quickly, the revs will drop to about 1100 - 1200 momentarily, but then immediately climb back up to just shy of 2K again.

Did I inadvertently damage the IAC when I shook it? Nothing else was moved/changed...

Thanks,
Dave
You should pour a little synthetic oil in it and let it drip out.

Look for vacuum leak or a disconnected hose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts