SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read, it seems my idle air control valve and/or throttlebody needs to be cleaned. What should this cost me? Dealer or Reputable Mechanic, Whats your guess? Thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Its a very simple thing to do, especially with the directions given by JMarkert. Dealer, they'll probably say the IAC needs replacing, charge you $110 for labor. Reputable mechanic probably charge $60-70 for the hour, you could have it done in 30 mins with only the cost of purchasing the carb cleaner.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
$110 for replacing a dirty IAC ?? And another $200(my guess) for the part ?

How, in good conscience can these dealers do this ? They must think all Saab owners are highly paid college professors and academics...

I'll bet a blind man could change one in 20 minutes or less !!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
highly paid college professors and academics...
Trust me, they aren't all that highly paid. Plus, you have to remember they are paid like crap until they really land a professor job. For some of us (me, for example), that takes until we're 40 and counting. Mechanics do much better on average :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
highly paid college professors and academics...

Thank you, JMarkert, for that correction to one of society's most corrosive myths. I was about to write and correct it myself.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
A corrosive myth, indeed, and truly one of the great shames of our society. Only college professors who can hit forty home runs a season are highly paid.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Local garage quoted me a price on replacing my IAC.

With labor, the grand total was.....

wait for it....

$630.

I laughed like a lunatic for a couple of seconds.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I've found for the idle valve, giving it an overnight soak in petrol very affective, not total immersion just the part where the air passes through, then a light scrub with an old toothbrush, throttle body can be done the same way but it is less important to have such a deep clean.

What I like about such tasks is that it is tuning for economy and performance for little money and just a bit of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts