1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
yes i have searched
didnt find anything.
i want to be able to hear my turbo spool up and want EVERYONE ELSE to hear it spool.
right now its a 1988 900 t with stock exhaust and when its cold you can hear it spooling but after it warms up that spooling sound goes away. i really want to just hear that jet engine like turbine sound when i hit the gas.
any recomendations?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually already have a K&N open element cone filter in the car already so any noise deadening in the stock intake is long gone.
and it helps a little but not by much. i can hear the flutter of the wastegate sometimes...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've got an old crappy turbo that makes plenty of turbo whine. It's loud enough to hear from at least a block away. Normally I'd sell it as a core for rebuilding, but since it's just what you're looking for I'll only charge you double. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Personally I see no point in just increasing the turbo noise for the sake of noise....but to each his own.

It really depends on how much work ($$$) you want to do and how loud you want it. A few options:

Note that some of the modifications will also increase the exhaust volume which could drown out the turbo whine such as a 3" downpipe (with larger flange, removing the stock elbow) Full 3" exhaust after downpipe.

Your best bet to maintain tolerable levels of exhaust noise whilst increasing spool noise install a larger intercooler with steel/aluminum tubing replacing all the stock plastic bits.

or just dump the stock exhaust somewhere after the dp :roll:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
well.....
to start with, you could upsize the pipes on the inlet side of the turbo (2.5" or bigger pipe) and make it as straight as possible (and i assume being an '88 its a 16v) then drill a 4" hole in the LH side of the engine bay (see pic) and, with using a pod type filter relocate the air filter to behind the LHF indicator between the wing and engine bay, even with a stock turbo you will hear the thing sucking the air through as it spools up.
i done this on my 900i, it had a nissan RB20 turbocharger fitted, and it was very loud.

it was even louder when i removed the chrome heatshield. kind of like a whooshing sound a jet makes, my friends that were behind me while i was driving it could hear the turbo, even over the exhaust... :D

if you want to go one more, 3" exhaust with no muffler?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not trying to threadjack, but... ludichris001, did you cut out any of the front bumper/ put vents alongside the pod filter when you put it above the wheel well? Does it get a good amount of air in that location? Considering doing it myself, but just wanted to know.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
no didnt touch anything else, if you look closely under the bumper there is quite a few gaps for cold air to get in, as well as between the bonnet and wing, and around the headlight and indicator light. also on the other side of the wheel arch (between door and arch) the bottom of that area is open to air too. (its hard to explain)
i never had any restriction problems and to be honest, i did feel quite a noticeable increase in power (which may also be from increasing and making straighter the inlet pipe for the turbo)
eventually though i will be fitting a vent behind the LH indicator to give it a little more, basically the same as what is on the C900 below:

i want this car ^ :cheesy:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I have the stock air box on mine, but I'm de-catted and I have a glasspack muffler with stock exhaust piping, and I'll be damned if my turbo isn't louder than all hell... if that's what you're after. Not the mention, 900t's sound so sexy with relatively open exhaust and the stock exhaust manifold.

:cool:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Yeah sounds like you need a K&N filter and a straight-through muffler. If you're poor and completely irresponsible just take the whole exhaust after the downpipe off the car. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
already have K&N filter
will be doing exhaust soon
and im running E85 fuel so i dont need a cat :)
thanks guys

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
e85 so far has been touch and go
an no
no conversion kit
all you need is larger injectors.
i will say that the e85 has allowed me to run higher boos and is cheaper at the pump.
BUT!
my mileage SUCKS at the moment. and the availability of E85 is very low in the area.
i think im getting around 9-10mpg at the moment
but the only thing needed to convet to flex fuel is larger injectors
that was all i did
and with that you get the benefit of like 113octane ;)
when i get the kinks worked out of the system ill post a DIY thread
but dont attempt the E85 in colder environments b/c its a ***** to get started. until the engine is warm its hard to keep the ethanol ignited.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good to know. Any ways of upping that mileage? Seems like that would just about cancel out the benefits of the E85's lower price and higher octane. And good to know about it not being too good for colder places, i would be SOL up here in the midwest.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well right now im not sure.
im running e85 on a gasoline tune.
i think im oing to have to advance the timing and what not. also i may just keep it running reg gas b/c i ran outa e85 on the freeway
AND NOONE BUT KROGER CARRIES E85.
seriously
GM produces tons of flex fuel vehicles
and there is not flexible fuel....lol (did that make sense?)

ill post a DIY when ive worked the kinks out

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hahah, yeah, that made sense - but I'm sorry that's the case. The DIY sounds good. Best of luck with all of that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts