SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok some people may know that i do drag racing.
and yesterday before i even got to test out my new stage 2 tune.

i was up against my mate toyota glanza v, who gets 16.1
sadly the old girl didnt even get to do 1x 1/4 mile.

check the vid out, (it makes me cringe everytime i hear the noise coming from the gearbox/drifeshaft/diff?????????? dunno what it is yet ??

View My Video

VERY embarrising, alot of oil came out all over the track (engine oil was still full) racing was stopped for about half hour whilst they cleened it up. i had to be pushed off the track. etc.

View My Video

now the problem i have is i dont know what the problem is,
the gearbox selects every gear and even reverse, and the car moves about a foot or two, before it starts to clonk? so im thinking differential? but what explains all the oil??

anyone help?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
All the oil must have come from either a blown seal or a crack somewhere that let fluid out, most likely transmission fluid (which would be gearbox oil if it's a manual transmission) by the sound of it. Have you checked the levels of engine oil and transmission fluid since the incident?

Craig.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, the engine oil is still between the max-min marks, ive lost no engine oil. and no coolant.

but alot of manual trans oil has come out,
can u get this amount of oil from a blown diff? or is it deffinatly gearbox?

kev

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is their a way i can find out if its diff/gearbox/driveshafts.

or could it be a mixture of all 3? and scrap the car and start again???

because you can pick these up for £500 or less, so i could now have myself a parts car

·
Registered
819 Posts
and scrap the car and start again???
scrap the car and buy something else. seriously, you could spend thousands on it and all you'd be left with still, would be a slow drag car that kept blowing its gearboxes!

or if you wanted to stick with saab maybe a change of hobby to circuit racing/track days?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
There are plenty of transmissions around. I saw a new one for sale listed on Ebay in the UK a little while back.

Of course one way to avoid breaking transmissions is go for a one rebuilt to a higher spec. I suppose Erikkson's make them, plus a few other places.

Craig.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the thing is,
a saab 2.0 lpt, tuned to stage 1 (without telling insurance company, and can easily get away with it, as an unmodified car)
220bhp

is the cheepest and fastest thing i can get insured on at the age of 20.

what other car can i get 220bhp so easily for under £500...

kev

·
Registered
819 Posts
yeah i hear what your saying mate. But if you have to keep replacing gear boxes, and if your gonna be using it at the strip then you will, then the value for money thing goes out the window quite quickly! Trouble is, saab 'boxes up untill after the 9000 tend to be pretty weak sauce unless well looked after!

theres always the quaife 6 speed conversion! i hear thats pretty robust! just 3 grand ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.