SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i think its my power steering_update, its not__

my car is making groaning sounds when i turn the wheel, i think maybe i need some power steering fluid? i would love to check the level, but sadly i dont konw where the power steering fluid iskept...please- dont laugh.

so if anyone can tell me where i may find the power steering fluid container, and what kind i should put in if indeed that is the problem......
saab 900, v6.

thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
It is the black ZF(German PS system supplier) 1/3 liter container by the battery..Two hoses, return and supply, connect.

Place your finger at the PS pump shaft seal area - it may be a bit wet- here seepage occurs..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Its the cap circled in red:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help, i checked and the fluid level is fairly low-nearing the bottom, but there is still some in there, could this be it? and whta kind should i put in, any old ps fluid, or only from a saab dealer?

i also felt around the hose, it was greasy but not really wet.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I would personally go with a power steering fluid that is GM approved (back of bottles usually state approvals). I don't think I would bother with the dealer for it either, just a Autozone or chain type place.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I use a brand X, but approved by GM oil - everyone but Honda uses this fluid - they have to be difficult. This reservoir is about 1/2 to 2/3 filled..When I pull the cap, I count 2 to 4 drips in 5 seconds- that is fine for me..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The top of the PS fluid reservoir has a plastic tube extending down into the fluid, it has two lines on it. The lines are min and max, so the fluid level should be between the two lines.

The hoses seep a little fluid over time, that is normal. Top it up, and if the sound goes away, check the fluid level again in a few days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems like iw as wrong, i think it was an optical ilusion, it seemd like it was down to the bottom, but it only took a tiny bit of ps fuild to fill it to the max...so the groaning noise must be caused by something else.

the only other thing i can think of is the ball joint, but not sure if that would cause this sound...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
steering groan is quite normal when you go to or hold it at [or just close to] full lock, when exactly do you get the groaning noise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts