SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so basically, after some hard driving, my car my made a loud whoosh sound; at roughly 75-80mph. Shortly after, a check engine light appeared and my car had a loss of power, followed by stuttering and consequent hard stalling. I was barely able to limp my car to an empty parking lot because it stalled every couple of seconds. A friend of mine outside the car told me that my car was essentially “rolling coal”, dark, thick smoke. Leading me to believe my car experienced a catastrophic fuel failure. Oddly enough, I didn't hear a bang, a shatter or any sounds that would indicate I blew my engine, but I am not certain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I recently replaced my coil pack. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1998 Saab 900SE Turbo, 5spd
6 Posts
Hey everyone, so basically, after some hard driving, my car my made a loud whoosh sound; at roughly 75-80mph. Shortly after, a check engine light appeared and my car had a loss of power, followed by stuttering and consequent hard stalling. I was barely able to limp my car to an empty parking lot because it stalled every couple of seconds. A friend of mine outside the car told me that my car was essentially “rolling coal”, dark, thick smoke. Leading me to believe my car experienced a catastrophic fuel failure. Oddly enough, I didn't hear a bang, a shatter or any sounds that would indicate I blew my engine, but I am not certain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I recently replaced my coil pack. Thank you for reading.
Is the an NG900 or a 9-3?
Check the intercooler and duct. Mine did something similar. The duct blew off at the connection to the intercooler resulting in a loss of pressure and very little power.. Hopefully

·
Registered
2008 9-3, 2.0t (B207L)
9 Posts
Experienced something similar in my 9-3.
Very loud whoosh sound and sudden loss of power. No smoke though. The pressure hose just below the turbo had blown partially off.

That could very well be your issue. Easy and cheap fix, especially if it's just a clamp coming loose. Check the hoses and pipes on the pressure side of the turbo, all the way to the intercooler and intake manifold.

What happens is that the engine thinks a whole lot of air is coming into the engine, since the MAF sensor is in the intake = a lot less air than expected and a very very rich mixture in a now naturally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
check it over visually to see if indeed any intercooler hoses have blown off, if you've made it home you can do a compression test to see if internally things seem okay.

Reactions: BobSaabit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check it over visually to see if indeed any intercooler hoses have blown off, if you've made it home you can do a compression test to see if internally things seem okay.
Sadly, the car spent the night in a parking lot, currently trying to figure out how to get her home, I'll keep you posted. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Experienced something similar in my 9-3.
Very loud whoosh sound and sudden loss of power. No smoke though. The pressure hose just below the turbo had blown partially off.

That could very well be your issue. Easy and cheap fix, especially if it's just a clamp coming loose. Check the hoses and pipes on the pressure side of the turbo, all the way to the intercooler and intake manifold.

What happens is that the engine thinks a whole lot of air is coming into the engine, since the MAF sensor is in the intake = a lot less air than expected and a very very rich mixture in a now naturally aspirated engine.
Okay, Ill take a look at that once I get a ride to over to her again. Did you get a check engine light after the hose blew off? Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
2008 9-3, 2.0t (B207L)
9 Posts
Okay, Ill take a look at that once I get a ride to over to her again. Did you get a check engine light after the hose blew off? Thank you for the response.
I actually didn't, weirdly enough. My hose was also just partially open in one side, so a lot of the air might have been still going into the engine keeping it "sane".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.