SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, me and this 06 wagon have had a hell of a time the last 115k miles, but this might really be it. I floored it briefly and suddenly it started running really rough, like it's on 3 cylinders, and spewing oil and smoke out of the oil filler tube. Seems pretty likely I just blew a piston. I'm going to pull the plugs and see if a cylinder is full of oil, check compression if not, but how else can I confirm a bad piston/rings? Because of some fairly serious electrical problems, I think the car is just not worth an engine rebuild.

That being said, parts should be pretty interchangeable for 9-5's with the 2.3 right? Thinking about keeping it as a parts car and buying another 9-5. For what years are engine and chassis parts interchangeable to the 06 9-5? Mostly earlier 9-5's I'm sure, what about the 9000's and 900's, are there any common parts there?

·
Registered
2001 9-5 Aero wagon 5MT
20 Posts
Sad to hear about your wagon, that’s brutal. This is something I’d be curious about too. I have an early 9-5 with the B235R (before the B235R was in every 9-5) I wonder if it ever came to it, if I could swap the engine with an 08 or 09 or the internals at least. This is a good question, hopefully someone replies that knows their stuff.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
You just want an engine from an 04 and later since those have a different PCV system. you could retrofit the older engines into a newer car but then you have to change a bunch of stuff. Where if you use an 04 or later engine you can use all of your accessories.

If you get zero compression in one hole that pretty much seals the deal. That said you CAN replace the pistons with the engine in the car as long as the cylinder walls aren't destroyed. I'll bet that you have a beat up head as well if you exploded a piston. You'd want to figure out why the piston broke since otherwise you'll just be doing this again.

So you're in for at least taking the head off and inspecting everything. From there it's all a matter of how much time and money you want to put into it.

as for your last question, not a lot of interchange between the 9-5 and the other models. I'd stick with a 9-5 of some variant.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it's just the piston, head looks good and cylinder is ok. Just bought a used piston on ebay for 65 shipped. I'm guessing it had something to do with running lower octane but the knock sensor should be taking care of this for the most part I thought. Might as well do the bottom end bearings while I'm at it, plus timing chain. Tensioner was all the way out which may explain all the valvetrain noise. For rings, proparts are only $20 a set, they don't have a great name but they are much cheaper, any experience with their rings?

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Wow, well that's a mess.

At least the cylinder and head aren't destroyed.

Be careful on the piston BTW. There are three different sizes (A, B and AB) and the new one must match the hole you put it in (there is a marking on the deck) An A piston will fit an A bore, B in B and AB in both)

The other thing to remember is that Saab used two piston manufacturers and you have to get a matching one, they all have to be from the same manufacturer.

Timing chain in car is a pain, although with the head and pan off it shouldn't be quite as bad. Just getting the room to do the work is difficult because those screws are so long. (or are you rolling it in)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the damaged one is a Mahle AB7815, the guy said the replacement was stamped the same so assuming this is also Mahle.

Was going to roll timing chain in, guides are worn but I'm not going to deal with the in car replacement since I'm doing all this other work right now. My question on rolling one in, since there will only be one master link how do you attach the old to the new? Looking around now for a write up.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You can use a u-shaped removable link - it slides onto the pins from the side. Sometimes it comes with the chain kit. If not a bike or motorcycle shop will have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts