SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I JUST replaced all that stuff! I installed a new-style alternator and a top-post battery and redid all the battery cables ... the old insulation was there but couldn't really be reused. Bought some new stuff from DEI. You know, I actually removed the original "anti fire shield" at the same time ... if only Pontiac had modern synethic gaskets back in the '80s those fires could have been avoided!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So it appears the engine in this old beastie is seized, which isn't much of a surprise. Either by a combustion chamber full of water or by an overheat. Unfortunately it's an 8v so access to the combustion chambers isn't as good as it is on a 16v, but I sprayed a bunch penetrating oil in there and I suppose we'll see what happens. Probably, it's dump the motor. As much as I hate doing that, it's nice to have the car dictate a direction. :D

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
In the olden days I used to work on antique cars. Mostly bringing them back to life enough to drive to the auction block from the parking lot.
My favorite technique for freeing a frozen motor was to fill it with kerosene. I mean fill it until it flowed out the filler cap.
A few days later I'd start trying to move it.
I suppose I'd use diesel fuel nowadays.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After soaking for a day with penetrating oil I got it to loosen up a bit - i can get 180 degrees out of it, but not full rotating. After a few degrees of what sounds like sandpaper it's a hard stop. Maybe I will try putting it st 90 after TDC - I think that's all the pistons around the middle of their stroke - and pour some diesel in there and see what happens. :)

My hope was to spin the motor with the starter and run some oil flush through there before tearing it down, but that's not critical I guess.

If the head comes off, is there a good safe way to clean up the bores at that point?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I say "cut n' paste" the fender wherever it's convenient...

Hopefully you have time to find a deal on a rust-wrecked 16V and swap everything...

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yep, that's basically what happened here, although it was accident damage and not rust. Body shop who did the work did a great job, but PO was too cheap to pay for paint. Bonkers.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Everything is pretty much on hold right now due to some sort of.... like a pandemic or something? :p

It's no surprise that while I'd have all the time in the world to work on the car, of course I have no money with which to do it. I'm in full-on survivalist mode, stockpiling cash under the mattress and whatnot.

Eh, that's an exaggeration. But unfortunately not spending any money I don't have to right now. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh yeah, that ...
Shame that some of us suddenly have loads more time while simultaneously having loads less cash - I have a salvage 900 T16S that needs a new front etc, so currently I just sit next to it and look at it ...

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep. If I was confident things would be normal again in a month or so I'd go for it, but lacking that confidence I'm just gonna be a hermit, and a miser.

Crap. I'm my grandfather.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Every day I wake up and thank the Good Lord that I was able to squeeze in my trip to Las Vegas right before they shut down.
At least I have fresh memories of a lively world....

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We had quite a bit planned for these months and that's all fallen apart, but we did get to see a great show at Moda and drink a bunch of good beer and whiskey in Portland before everything got discombobulated, so it's not all bad news. So far, everything we had planned has issued refunds, so at least it's not wasted money. I was able to funnel it right back into Campbell's soup, toilet paper, and $2.00/g gas for the motorhome in case we gotta go.

Haha... just kidding. We didn't buy any toilet paper.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts