SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I JUST replaced all that stuff! I installed a new-style alternator and a top-post battery and redid all the battery cables ... the old insulation was there but couldn't really be reused. Bought some new stuff from DEI. You know, I actually removed the original "anti fire shield" at the same time ... if only Pontiac had modern synethic gaskets back in the '80s those fires could have been avoided!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So it appears the engine in this old beastie is seized, which isn't much of a surprise. Either by a combustion chamber full of water or by an overheat. Unfortunately it's an 8v so access to the combustion chambers isn't as good as it is on a 16v, but I sprayed a bunch penetrating oil in there and I suppose we'll see what happens. Probably, it's dump the motor. As much as I hate doing that, it's nice to have the car dictate a direction. :D

·
Registered
12,674 Posts
In the olden days I used to work on antique cars. Mostly bringing them back to life enough to drive to the auction block from the parking lot.
My favorite technique for freeing a frozen motor was to fill it with kerosene. I mean fill it until it flowed out the filler cap.
A few days later I'd start trying to move it.
I suppose I'd use diesel fuel nowadays.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After soaking for a day with penetrating oil I got it to loosen up a bit - i can get 180 degrees out of it, but not full rotating. After a few degrees of what sounds like sandpaper it's a hard stop. Maybe I will try putting it st 90 after TDC - I think that's all the pistons around the middle of their stroke - and pour some diesel in there and see what happens. :)

My hope was to spin the motor with the starter and run some oil flush through there before tearing it down, but that's not critical I guess.

If the head comes off, is there a good safe way to clean up the bores at that point?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts