SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing my new Stage 2 ECU I decided to close the hood and take the car for a drive before re-installing the wiper cowl just in case it didn't work or I hated it.

As soon as I closed the hood I realized that the hood release cable was no longer attached at the corner nearest the battery (I un-clipped it to make it easier to get the cowl off to hopefully avoid breaking the plastic cowl to windshield clips).

Now when I pull the hood release it just flops around.

Anybody have a trick to get the hood open?

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
ouch!

my only suggestion would be to see if you can take the lower splash pan off and reach up and undo the hood latches one at a time. you might need someone to be pushing on the hood while you move th latch and then pulling while its open to hold it up so it doesn't go back down while you're working on the other one

Otherwise this project may cost you a grille that gets destroyed so you can get in there to open the hood.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Scandinavian Auto Service, Ottawa...

Phone Carl Johnson and see what he has to say on this. He and his mechanics have cumulated more than 75 years experience in Saabs. They might have dealt with this problem before. Just a thought !

(613)225-3213

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phone Carl Johnson
Thanks, Karl and I go back many many years.

His 2nd in command Steve did my head gasket two weeks ago.

I called Karl...after he stopped laughing he said "good luck, let me know if you need a stick of dynamite". :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well, I got it open....

It was a struggle to say the least.

For starters going up from underneath is a non starter, there is only one path of access it is in front of the battery. There is room for one skinny arm and when I got up inside I could feel the cable and pull on it to no avail and when I got to the cable end at the latch there is no way to get enough of a purchase to pull the cable because at that point you are trying to release both latches simultaneously with bare fingers on the steel cable and there's no room for pliers.

I moved over the the right front, I peeked inside the area through a small opening just behind the side marker light and I could clearly see the latch and cable end. I figured if I could get something long, narrow and stiff enough I could push the latch.

Searching through my collection of stuff I found a piece of steel four feet long one inch wide and an eighth inch thick, perfect!

I pulled up the hood to increase the opening size, jammed in a piece of rubber and masked the opening to protect from scratching. I stuck the steel in and voila! the familiar 'pong!' rang out as the latch released, yay I thought.... half way there.

I moved over to the driver's side and no sooner did I pry up the hood to see what kind of access I had to work with (you called it Milt) the far side latched with authority. Fark!

At this point it didn't really matter because there was no way to get into the latch area on the driver's side. I could see from looking through the hole that there was structure in the way plus I have my 99 parked right beside and I could see there was no way through. It was a god send to have the second car right there for comparison, it was a huge time saver.

While pondering my next move it dawned on me that the driver's side corner light had a suspect tab on it where it bolts onto the headlight assembly. It was at this point I was prepared to sacrifice some body work or the light, I grabbed the light and pulled. The light popped out and right away I could see the cable hanging down right next to the neck of the washer fluid reservoir.

I pulled the cable and got nothing, pondered for another few seconds and then I attached the cable tightly to the washer fluid reservoir, went to the release handle, pulled and 'PONG!' up pops the hood.

Had the wire tie not worked the next option was going to be to practice some "coat hanger technology" and reach in and pull the cable with a hooked end.

So there's the long sordid tale and there's the way in for future reference.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Same issue here. Hood stuck and can't get in. Let me get this straight. You just pulled on the driver side signal module from the outside and it popped off? I just retired my attempts for the evening so I haven't tried this yet. I'm hoping it could be this easy.

So far I've tried popping out the center grills and tried snaking a stiff rod with a hook over the frame to grab the cable but can't seem to get a good grab on it.

Let me know if there is more to just getting the signal lights out.

Good post!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Let me get this straight. You just pulled on the driver side signal module from the outside and it popped off?
Not exactly, if your light has a weak or broken mounting tab (the one at the top nearest the headlight as per picture attached) and you don't mind risking more lamp unit damage by reefing on it to get it out and thereby gain access to the cable then that's your way in.

I ran out of patience and decided it didn't matter if I damaged the light any worse...I just needed in.

P.S. the attached picture is the passengers side lamp but it's the same tab

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks. Not sure this is going to fix my problem as I don't know exactly what's wrong with mine like you did yours. Mine just seems to be frozen. Last time I was in there was an oil change probably in March. Car has been sitting a while this summer since then, but I didn't notice any problems with the release then.

I don't get any play with the hood either. Can't say if that's normal or not. I always thought there was a little but maybe I'm mistaken. Right now there is no play at all, not matter how hard I pull or push. It's solid.

Need help
:(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thanks. Not sure this is going to fix my problem as I don't know exactly what's wrong with mine like you did yours. Mine just seems to be frozen. Last time I was in there was an oil change probably in March. Car has been sitting a while this summer since then, but I didn't notice any problems with the release then.

I don't get any play with the hood either. Can't say if that's normal or not. I always thought there was a little but maybe I'm mistaken. Right now there is no play at all, not matter how hard I pull or push. It's solid.

Need help
:(
have someone push down on the hood while you pull the hood release cable and see if that helps open it

·
Registered
318 Posts
have someone push down on the hood while you pull the hood release cable and see if that helps open it

yep, tried that. Pushed, pulled and nothing. the hood just won't budge. not even a little movement.

Anyone had a hood get jammed? I'm starting to wonder if someone sat on it and jammed the pins down too far. It doesn't appear to be too low as the gap around the hood looks even but there is absolutely no play. I've pulled hard on the cable too. Hard enough to pull the whole handle out of the mount.

I'll have to try the steel bar method on the passenger side to see if I can at least get one side up a little. Otherwise I'm running out of ideas. I can't see any other way in.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you pull the hood release handle do you feel resistance or is it just loose?

Is there a chance the cable broke or the little ball and screw set up that adjusts the cable slipped off?

In my case the only way in was through the opening with the corner light removed, I have to add that if you do try that way in you have to pull the whole assembly straight forward because there are slide in tabs that attach the unit to the side of the headlight housing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
the cable is tight. I think it's seized. thanks for the tip on the light. i'm going to attempt to spray some lube in toward the pins and let soak over the next few days and see if that helps. then try the bar from passenger side and maybe finally the light removal. As far as I know none of my light mounting tabs are broken (yet) so removal might be more difficult.

i'll also look try a coat hanger method and snake in from the front grill and try to grab the lever but that will be blind luck...literally. I tried grabing the cable from the front grill last night with a stiff wire hook. I could sort of feel it but realized the cable in that location has a thick sheath on it so pulling on it wouldn't really help. plus I wasn't getting a good grab on it. Can't see anything! :(

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I had this happen on my 00 9-3. I ended up yanking on the front grill. It broke the two top tabs by the upper headlight housing but i was able to access the engine bay. Just super glued the tabs back after. Been on the car 2yrs now

·
Registered
318 Posts
no can-do on my 04 9-5. I have the 3 part grill that's integrated into the bumper. I managed to get two of the grill pieces out without breaking them ;ol;, but there isn't much I can access from there. The horn and radiator are right there and the main cross member sits on top of them. going in from the grill, I can squeeze my fingers under the hood and over the top of the cross member but can only get about 3" over the member before I run out of room. Not to mention there's a nice plastic piece that scrapes my hand when I try to pull out!

Can't see up in there either. The cable I need to get to sits just at the top back edge of this cross member. PITA!

These aren't images of my car (borrowed from this site and web, sorry) but you can see where the cable is and the cross member. Again, I have the 3 part grill and not the 1-piece which makes access slightly more complicated but not by much.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I would jack the car up and put it on stands and try to get to it from the bottom. seems to be the easiest way to get to the cable

·
Registered
318 Posts
I took off the skid plate/plastic protector under the car but still can't see a good way to get my arm up in there. the passenger side looks to be blocked by the air filter and the driver side just seems too tight. I'll have to take another look but I was under the car and just didn't see anywhere I could get my arm up to the cross-member.

Have to leave for a funeral for a few days so I'll try again when I get back. Maybe Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post an update when I have something.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
While installing my new Stage 2 ECU I decided to close the hood and take the car for a drive before re-installing the wiper cowl just in case it didn't work or I hated it.

As soon as I closed the hood I realized that the hood release cable was no longer attached at the corner nearest the battery (I un-clipped it to make it easier to get the cowl off to hopefully avoid breaking the plastic cowl to windshield clips).

Now when I pull the hood release it just flops around.

Anybody have a trick to get the hood open?

too late now, but you can change the ECU without taking off the cowl.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting thread! I wonder if it is worth attaching an "emergency" cable to the existing cable setup and maybe running it through the inner fender into the l/h wheel well. That way if your original cable breaks or becomes otherwise unusable just reach into the wheel well and give the emergency cable a tug. I did this to a Alfa Romeo I owned once, but then again that car really needed an emergency everything!

Axeman74

1 - 20 of 30 Posts