SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I just bought my car less than a month ago and I just scraped my front spoiler! I cannot believe it... all that careful driving on the road and I somehow manage to scrape it on my friends driveway. The worse part is that it wasn't even slanted up that much (barely slanted). I also went slow as **** to get up the driveway and next thing I know, I see a some white scratches on the bottom of the lip (car is black). As I backed out of the driveway, I took a look before I pulled out and realized that there was less than a millimeter of clearance betweeen my spoiler and the road so it was pretty much unavoidable :evil: :evil: :evil: . I was expecting this eventually but not this soon :cry: . Any of you 9-5 owners have that problem?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
All the time, I've pretty much given up on trying to prevent it. I drive carefully if I think it'll be a problem, but if I scrap it, no biggy. It springs back nicely so it doesn't look broken even if it is scrapped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Black Aero here too...get used to it. Things happen. At least it's not a dent in the door, crack in the bumper...etc.

I've done it a couple time and just quickly sanded the area and shot it with some spray paint until it happens again. You have to look very carefully to see anything wrong. Not worth stressing over...trust me, I did it after my 3rd day. :cheesy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, join the club! :lol: I did mine after a week of paranoid driving. I also usually park the opposite direction of anyone else in a car park but still... managed to get a scratch :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Same here - almost exactly the same situation!

Had my black aero for one week - and then added a nice black scratch on the underside of the front spoiler as I took it off a driveway!

The thing is - you can only tell if you're down on your hands and knees!!

Cheers

·
Registered
739 Posts
man i share your paid, When my brand spanking new vert was 3 days old my son then 4 came in excited and dropped his bike and it hit the car putting a very small scratch and a ding at the bottom of the drivers door....Knowing it was my absolute pride and joy his excitement turned to total anguish. I remember he came into the lounge and said "daddy you know how you have always told us to tell the truth and not lie" i said yes "well i am really sorry but i think i have scratched the car" I looked at the mark and said thankyou son for telling me don't worry but don't let it happen again....He went off to play i went upstairs burried my head in the pillow and screamed as loud as i could. It is still their because i do not think a small area repair would look any better but after 3 years when i clean it it still pi$$es me off:cry:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
:cry: A w e :cry: Good kid though ;)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Raven18940 said:
All the time, I've pretty much given up on trying to prevent it. I drive carefully if I think it'll be a problem, but if I scrap it, no biggy. It springs back nicely so it doesn't look broken even if it is scrapped.
True.. But it has a tendency to snap the connectors to the fog ligths when this happens...

Mine are dangling pushed in right now :( From looking under there, there doesnt seem to be anything to tie/glue/screw the existing lamps to if the supports snap, and replacement fogs are almost $200 a piece :(

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Mattlach said:
True.. But it has a tendency to snap the connectors to the fog ligths when this happens...

Mine are dangling pushed in right now :( From looking under there, there doesnt seem to be anything to tie/glue/screw the existing lamps to if the supports snap, and replacement fogs are almost $200 a piece :(
I have a broken fog light right now, trying to figure out some way to salvage it. May get a little ghetto and go crazy with the duct tape. ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
So I'm going to join the club day 3, scratched the front air dam on a steep driveway that I tried to avoid, but had no choice. You guys are lucky since it sounds that most of you have black, mine is steel grey so it shows up nice. Do they sell cans of Saab touch up paint in spray cans, or should I just try my hand at sanding and using the touch up paint I already purchased for chips with the small paint brush?

Thanks in advance..

Rob

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't bother with it personally. It's going to get scratched again sooner or later, so I just don't think it's worht doing all that sanding and painting etc.

It shows up much worse on black cars I think because the scrape is white. :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I have a broken fog light right now, trying to figure out some way to salvage it. May get a little ghetto and go crazy with the duct tape. ;)
I've used clear packing tape with some success. I tape over the front of the light and go up under the top of the recessed part. 2 strips of 3" wide packing tape, each strip about 4-5" long should do the trick.

It's great. You can't tell it's there unless you get down on your hands and knees and inspect the fog light closely.

I end up having to replace the clear tape once or twice a year. Usually it doesn't make it through the winter, for obvious reasons.

X

·
0 Posts
ClemsonScout said:
Do they sell cans of Saab touch up paint in spray cans, or should I just try my hand at sanding and using the touch up paint I already purchased for chips with the small paint brush?

Thanks in advance..

Rob
Rob, you can have a can of spray paint mixed to the colour of your car ;) I spray mine up all the time, I only give the area a very light sanding then a quick couple of passes with the spray can and jobs a goodun!! :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just think of all the fun you will have when you get the car lowered - then it will be even EASIER to get the spoiler messed up!! WOO HOO!!

Just keep a patch of sandpaper and a can of spray in the trunk like the rest of us do - secretly, of course!

Doesn't everybody? C'mon, admit it!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, my Aero is actually a bit of an annoyance. Too low coming from a 4X4! Well, I suppose I should just get on with it and get used to the new life.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bobsaab said:
Just keep a patch of sandpaper and a can of spray in the trunk like the rest of us do - secretly, of course!

Doesn't everybody? C'mon, admit it!!
Yep, its next to the spare DI, socket set, tow rope, maps, warm coat and direct line to the local dealer ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I bought my car in December it had 0 imperfections and when installing the rear license plate I slipped & put a small scratch on the rear hatch. Hardly noticable but enough to really upset me. A few weeks later I pulled into a parking space and did just what you did, scraped almost all the paint off the underside of the front on a curb. I wanted to cry! Since then though I've learned to be more careful and accept the fact that it's a low car & these things just happen! :roll:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I believe in the 9-5 manual it says the ground clearance is six inches, which means it would be higher than the VW Passat I park next to, however on comparison my car looks lower, and that front lip.....I mean I have decided that I will not go into a driveway unless absolutely necessary at this point...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts