SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
04/2001 Saab 9-5 Turbo Sedan… 4 door

Hello everyone, I would like to say thank you in advance for anyone who can help me with this issue I am having. First, please let me state up front that I am a good thinker with very good common sense and can usually read and fix my own problems. But, this SAAB is really driving me crazy. Also, I actually do not own this car, my good friend owns the vehicle and I am trying to repair it for her, She is nearly 60 and living on Social Security with little extra money a month. Also, there are no Saab dealer around me with 100 miles at the very least. Now onto the issues.

Before getting into what’s going on here is what happen to start all these issues. The top radiator outlet nipple broke so I got the car to my home and parked it while waiting on her to afford a replacement. After a month or so the radiator come in and I wanted to begin work exchanging it. When I opened up the car door I found the battery dead and the floorboard on the drivers side rear was full of water. Not sure what was going on I try to jump the car off but it started and then shut off. It did this several times but never actually ran more than a second or two. Just a note, it ran fine before I parked it and it got wet in side. Not sure why it leaked so badly but that’s mute now.

I got all the water out of the car and charged the battery. When I hooked up the battery the passenger door lock kept humming and again it would not start. I figured out about the TWICE unit from the forum and took the seat out to see what was going on. Of course it was full of water. I took it apart and cleaned the boards with alcohol and then dried everything off. Reinstalled the Unit and it still would not start. The door lock stop humming but the car would only crank but not start. So I found a unit with key, door lock and truck lock off eBay and purchased the set. Once it came in I installed the TWICE unit, key cylinder and used the provided key that matched the TWICE unit. Cranked the car but it would still not start.

Troubleshooting the common things I checked fuel pressure at the rail and found it had none. So to see if that was the problem I just jumped the pump to get the pressure at the rail and it did start but only for a second then shut off again. I did this 3 times in a row. To be creative I tried a few things with the understanding that it may need programming with a tech 2 because of the key not matching the reader that’s around the key cylinder. So I just removed that ring and put the old key inside the ring to try and see what happened. Nothing.

The reason I am so confused is the way it would start for a second and then turn off. It makes no sense that it would fire for just a second and then stop firing because of programming, I figure if the programming was off it would never fire. I guess my big questions are these:
With me using a new TWICE Unit with matching kept and lock cylinder would the car still need programming? Is there an addition security feature that I have not replaced? As far as I can see the blade key style Saabs use only the key and TWICE Unit.
I saw some instructions online how to bypass a TWICE Unit. I tried to figure out the 8,9,10,20,21,22 pins but had no luck when I followed the instructions to bypass the immobilize system. NOTE... when i found the pin 8 there was no wire to that pin. If I actually counted the pin layout correctly. I didn't have the diagram.

I am at a loss here… without a dealer that has the Saab program for the tech 2 nowhere even close to me, what can I do to get her car back running? I know it’s not my fault the car leaked but I still feel I am responsible because it was at least running before I parked it.

Please provide any advice you can… if anyone has heard of a bypass or a workaround I will be very grateful to learn how to do it. If anyone has a wiring diagram for the TWICE Unit I would love to have it. I have searched online for hours but have not found the diagram. Things with this Saab are very difficult, but I do understand the purpose of the protection. It just seems that of all the Saab owners out here and all the guys like you all someone has got to know what I can do.

Again, Thank you all that have taking the time to read this, and thank you also for any help you can provide in advance.

Very unhappy Saab Moderate Mechanic.

Jerome

UPDATE - while it was dark just now I pulled off the igniter rail (i guess what its call) above the plugs and nearly grounded out number 1 to see if the car fires. When I turned the car over it fire just 1 time. clean blue spark just once. nothing more until i remove the battery neg side and reconnect it. Then 1 more spark. Is it just programming?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twice unit

From everything I know your new Twice Unit needs to be "married" to the car with a tech 2, unless: There is an outfit in Utah that might be able to pull the info from your old twice and load it onto your new Twice for a fee. Then your new TWICE will be recognized as your old unit. My 9-5 is having a similar problem, but these guys checked out my Twice and said that was fine. ( My 9-5 isn't cranking though . But if I bypass the ignition it will crank and fire for a second as you said yours is.) A Saab mechanic I am talking to thinks it is my driver's side door lock unit, as when I press my remote it will hum but not unlock. I'm picking up a used one this weekend hopefully and find out if that really is the problem. He says it is not sending a signal that the car is unlocked, so my immobilizer remains engaged. If you look at the center console LED theft alarm light, it should blink twice every 3 seconds or so indicating the immobilizer is engaged if that is your problem. Hopefully this will help you narrow it down. I have read and confirmed you cannot just install a new TWICE unit, it has to be programmed in as the car does not recognize it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Do you get a message on the SID when you use the new key? Did you get the key and fob? Or key with remote head? If the lock is the problem pull the fuse (to bypass). On the harness connector; if you look closely the pin locations are numbered; to bypass the TWICE holding the alarm remote (open) button while starting the car, it should start; when you see KEY NOT ACCEPTED.

04/2001 Saab 9-5 Turbo Sedan… 4 door

Hello everyone, I would like to say thank you in advance for anyone who can help me with this issue I am having. First, please let me state up front that I am a good thinker with very good common sense and can usually read and fix my own problems. But, this SAAB is really driving me crazy. Also, I actually do not own this car, my good friend owns the vehicle and I am trying to repair it for her, She is nearly 60 and living on Social Security with little extra money a month. Also, there are no Saab dealer around me with 100 miles at the very least. Now onto the issues.

Before getting into what’s going on here is what happen to start all these issues. The top radiator outlet nipple broke so I got the car to my home and parked it while waiting on her to afford a replacement. After a month or so the radiator come in and I wanted to begin work exchanging it. When I opened up the car door I found the battery dead and the floorboard on the drivers side rear was full of water. Not sure what was going on I try to jump the car off but it started and then shut off. It did this several times but never actually ran more than a second or two. Just a note, it ran fine before I parked it and it got wet in side. Not sure why it leaked so badly but that’s mute now.

I got all the water out of the car and charged the battery. When I hooked up the battery the passenger door lock kept humming and again it would not start. I figured out about the TWICE unit from the forum and took the seat out to see what was going on. Of course it was full of water. I took it apart and cleaned the boards with alcohol and then dried everything off. Reinstalled the Unit and it still would not start. The door lock stop humming but the car would only crank but not start. So I found a unit with key, door lock and truck lock off eBay and purchased the set. Once it came in I installed the TWICE unit, key cylinder and used the provided key that matched the TWICE unit. Cranked the car but it would still not start.

Troubleshooting the common things I checked fuel pressure at the rail and found it had none. So to see if that was the problem I just jumped the pump to get the pressure at the rail and it did start but only for a second then shut off again. I did this 3 times in a row. To be creative I tried a few things with the understanding that it may need programming with a tech 2 because of the key not matching the reader that’s around the key cylinder. So I just removed that ring and put the old key inside the ring to try and see what happened. Nothing.

The reason I am so confused is the way it would start for a second and then turn off. It makes no sense that it would fire for just a second and then stop firing because of programming, I figure if the programming was off it would never fire. I guess my big questions are these:
With me using a new TWICE Unit with matching kept and lock cylinder would the car still need programming? Is there an addition security feature that I have not replaced? As far as I can see the blade key style Saabs use only the key and TWICE Unit.
I saw some instructions online how to bypass a TWICE Unit. I tried to figure out the 8,9,10,20,21,22 pins but had no luck when I followed the instructions to bypass the immobilize system. NOTE... when i found the pin 8 there was no wire to that pin. If I actually counted the pin layout correctly. I didn't have the diagram.

I am at a loss here… without a dealer that has the Saab program for the tech 2 nowhere even close to me, what can I do to get her car back running? I know it’s not my fault the car leaked but I still feel I am responsible because it was at least running before I parked it.

Please provide any advice you can… if anyone has heard of a bypass or a workaround I will be very grateful to learn how to do it. If anyone has a wiring diagram for the TWICE Unit I would love to have it. I have searched online for hours but have not found the diagram. Things with this Saab are very difficult, but I do understand the purpose of the protection. It just seems that of all the Saab owners out here and all the guys like you all someone has got to know what I can do.

Again, Thank you all that have taking the time to read this, and thank you also for any help you can provide in advance.

Very unhappy Saab Moderate Mechanic.

Jerome

UPDATE - while it was dark just now I pulled off the igniter rail (i guess what its call) above the plugs and nearly grounded out number 1 to see if the car fires. When I turned the car over it fire just 1 time. clean blue spark just once. nothing more until i remove the battery neg side and reconnect it. Then 1 more spark. Is it just programming?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So for a failed door lock if I pull the fuse, it should free the immobilizer and let me start the car?

thanks,
Ztigr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts