10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how'd it fix itself...? Hmm?

Nov '05 MOT - 149,748 miles
Oct 06 MOT - 151,017 miles
July 07, I buy the car - 151,032 miles, trip 001.2
This morning - 151,032 miles, trip 001.2

This evening - 151,054 miles, trip 012.5

THE BLOODY ODOMETER STARTED WORKING AGAIN!

How? Why? How come the odometer's put on 20-odd miles, but the trip meter only put on 12? Since I noticed, 11 miles ago, they've been in synch, and reading about right.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

<thinks>
I *do* know how come it started working - I've agreed to buy another dash off another SC'er... It's frightened of me... Bwahahahahahahahaha...

How long's this going to last, then?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Highway or city miles?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That happened to my 900 - apparently the gears just line up sometimes - then go out of phase. Expect it to stop working again at some random moment - or not ...:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
the trip was obviously working in "as the crow flies" miles! as it was country lanes :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've had a couple of odometers apart, they are a totally mechanical device which is nice. Anyway the reason mine stopped working is because the little plastic cog on end of the odometer digit rail cracks. The crack in the gear prevents it from totally adhering to the splindle it is supposed to be driving, so occasionally it slips or just loses drive althogether. What you really don't want is for the cog to work its way off the end of the splindle and dissappear completely.

As long as you still have the cog you can repair it by splitting it completely in two, re-glueing it with plastic cement (model aircraft glue) and then rescuring it to the spindle with thread lock or similar. Worked fine for me so far...:lol:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
That little cog has split on all my saab speedos and then it comes off the end of the spindle!
Ive always just pushed it back on and added a bit of glut to hold it. Both the ones still on the road are still working fine.
I was told to never zero the odo when the car is moving as that can break them off again.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
In the Volvo universe, the 240s are notorious to have the same problem. To the point that many companies (fcpgrotton, ipd, etc) sell the replacement gear with instructions. I cannot see why someone could not do the same for the Saab...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts