SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how the book is unclear, I could use a few tips and tricks that will help.
Specifically,
How do you get the triangular trim peices on the rear doors off without breaking them?
I tried gently prying one from the back with a nylon trim tool forking the lower pin and the piece just broke in half. And this is on the "good" interior, mine is way more brittle.
I was going to do a full interior swap but if just about every peice of plastic breaks it will be worse than what I have.
Are there specific pry points?
Are there hidden tabs I should be aware of?
Hidden screws?
Slot style like the kickers, hiding out?

Are junkyard parts my only option if I break plastic?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, now I feel really dumb.
I thought it was like the front door and I was trying to remove that bit so that I could get the card off.

Any tips for removing the headliner?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Remove sun visors, rear view mirror surrounding (and mirror), weather strips from door openings, A-pillar, B-pillar and C-pillar trims, handles fastening clips (turn 90 degrees and they will open), reading lamps and lift out from tailgate opening.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
WIS lays out the procedure for headliner removal.

Removal and especially installation works much better with two people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things haynes didnt mention, that would have been nice to know...

There are metal pinch clips on the foreword mounts on the mirror surround (pn 4707733). You have to get between them and the body to have any chance of removing it intact. I have failed twice, and I knew what to expect the second time. Good thing they can be had new for the low cost of $40.

The grab handles need to be pried off. There are feather pins on the handles that pass through the headliner and into a honeycomb spacer of sorts. I destroyed 2 spacers trying to wiggle them off before I figured this out. The layers just separated.

My frustration comes from vague instructions like "remove x part" and "gently pry off" with no indications as the what location/direction to pry or mention of other fasteners that are not obvious.
That is why I asked here, where people know the specifics.

Also, wis is not an option for me as I have no computer available.

Of course... Plastics that have been sun baked will probably crumble when messed with, and I knew that going in.

·
Registered
16,871 Posts
Things haynes didnt mention, that would have been nice to know...

... My frustration comes from vague instructions like "remove x part" and "gently pry off" with no indications as the what location/direction to pry or mention of other fasteners that are not obvious...

Haynes is famous for this. They'll give you all kinds of detailed instructions and a half dozen photos telling you how to remove some part that is incredibly obvious in attachment... then drop you cold with a (example) "next remove the center console" and no instructions at all.

Find an old laptop... any reasonable old computer will run the WIS for you. It's not perfect as they make some assumptions too, but it's another tool in your arsenal. Asking here is, of course, always a great idea. There are lots of tricks when working on these cars that help you prevent breakage. When in doubt, I go to the u-pull and learn there first.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Find an old laptop... any reasonable old computer will run the WIS for you. It's not perfect as they make some assumptions too, but it's another tool in your arsenal. Asking here is, of course, always a great idea. There are lots of tricks when working on these cars that help you prevent breakage. When in doubt, I go to the u-pull and learn there first.
+1 on the old laptop.

+100 on the "go to the you pull yard". Sometimes it's only obvious how to remove a part after you have broken it during removal.

Sometimes I keep broken trip pieces, not because I will reuse them, but because I can look as say "hmm, here's where the tabs are (or were)".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My pick n pull is sitting in my driveway 😆

I have been removing the worst part between the 2 cars first, just in case it breaks. So far the only critical fails have been the mirror surrounds and the plastic triangles on the rear driver side door. Those items just broke outright.
As long as one of two is useable, I consider it a success with 20 yr old plastic in Texas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts