SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that I made a good choice in purchasing a Saab. Don't get me wrong, at the moment, I am extremely happy with my newly purchased 2007 9-3 Aero. I just love it. But after reading this article on the internet (mainly regarding the 9-5), http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3557 and all the negative comments afterwards, on the reliability of Saabs in general, I'm left wondering if I made a wise choice. I know there are many positive aspects to Saabs, I just need some reassurance and would like to hear it from you experienced Saab owners.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought an 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T SS 2 months ago and am STILL excited every time I drive the car. Have had 0 problems and I am usually fairly hard on cars. Don't start to doubt just becuase a bunch of nay sayers start talking crap.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well Consumer Reports now recommends both the 9-3 and the 9-5. They say the cars are average reliability. Don't worry, you can find somebody saying something negative about any car out there. Enjoy your purchase!

·
Registered
462 Posts
cmanser said:
I bought an 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T SS 2 months ago and am STILL excited every time I drive the car. Have had 0 problems and I am usually fairly hard on cars.
What he said !!

I bought an 06 Saab 9-3 2.8T SS Aero 15 months ago and am STILL excited every time I drive the car. Have had 0 problems and I am usually fairly easy on cars.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had my 2006 Aero SportCombi for just about a year and can tell you that I love driving it. I have had a few concerns but nothing major. Someone in the SAAB community signs off with something to the effect of: "taking the long way home". I find myself looking for reasons to drive this car and sometimes this means the shortest distance between two points is not the obvious choice.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
230 Posts
For many years I wanted a Saab, always liked them, for one reason or another they weren't in the cards for me. My sister purchased a new 9.3 in 1999, and when I drove it for an extended trip, I loved the car. She had a few problems along the way but didn't discourage any one in the family not to buy a Saab.
This year, 2007, my wife and I bought a 9.3 S/S, the time was right, the price was right, and so far we are happy.
Just like I read in posts above, there is always someone that will put down a product they know little about, mostly because they can't afford it.
Most of my co-workers that own and have owned Saabs in the past have all had great results.Some move on to other brands for one reason or another ( my biggest complaint I hear is no more Saab model with a hatchback), others stay with Saab.

Go out every day and enjoy driving this wonderful vehicle that you are now fortunate to own and have a blast. Personally, I can't wait to get behind the wheel of it and I do every chance I get.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can always find someone who says any car is crap. Don't worry about it. Just drive it, change the oil, take care of it, and you'll be fine. **** happens wiht cars, no matter what make you drive.

Heck, look at Toyota....Consumer reports (as of last week) now no longer recommends Toyota as a reliable brand. Who would have thought that would ever happen!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
My wife has a 2006 vert and I have a 2007 SS. We have had a total of 5 between us and love them! No problems you won't find in any other car. Enjoy your car and stop worrying.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We bought a 2007 Aero convertible about three months ago and are approaching 2,000 miles. It's been an absolute joy to drive and to own. When it was about a week old, I noticed some odd "gremlins" in the electrical system which the dealer quickly traced to a loose ground. (10 minute repair)

Since then ... absolutely nothing but pure driving pleasure.

Enjoy!!

Ken

·
Registered
271 Posts
15K miles on my '06 Aero. Only issue was a leaking coolant tank, which is a known problem. Replaced under warranty while my car was in for a scheduled service. Other than that, car is fantastic!

For 3yrs the service work is paid for by Saab, then there is the great warranty and since you have an '07 you have the 100K mile warranty so even if some issues pop up Saab has you covered.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My window regulator was shot from day 1 (Sept. 4, 2007) but they're replacing it for free (of course) on Friday, part was backordered because the 07 uses a different one than previous years.

Other than that (which to me is no big deal), I'm thrilled with the car!

Love it more every day, now if I could just afford to drop $900 on that BSR Stage 1... :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
You will be fine.

L.A. Wheels

template_bas
template_bas

Most and least reliable vehicles, according to Consumer Reports

template_bas
template_bas

From the Associated Press
12:39 PM PDT, October 16, 2007
Consumer Reports ranked predicted reliability of 2008 models based on survey results from previous years. Here are the magazine's two best and worst picks for predicted reliability in each segment:

Small Car:
Best: Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit
Worst: Dodge Caliber, Volkswagen Jetta

Family Car:
Best: Toyota Prius, Honda Accord
Worst: Chevrolet Impala, Volkswagen Passat

Upscale/Luxury Car:
Best: Lexus GS450h (hybrid), Acura TSX
Worst: Cadillac STS, Mercedes-Benz CLS

Wagon/Minivan:
Best: Pontiac Vibe, Scion xB
Worst: Chevrolet Uplander, Hyundai Entourage

Small SUV:
Best: Honda Element, Mitsubishi Outlander
Worst: Dodge Nitro, Jeep Wrangler (four-door)

Midsize SUV:
Best: Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot
Worst: Land Rover Range Rover, Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Large SUV:
Best: Toyota Land Cruiser (no second pick)
Worst: Chevrolet Suburban 2500, GMC Yukon XL 2500

Pickup Truck:
Best: Toyota Tundra (V8, two-wheel-drive), Toyota Tacoma (four-cylinder)
Worst: Cadillac Escalade EXT, Toyota Tundra (V8, four-wheel-drive)

Source: Consumer Reports AP-WS-10-16-07 1511EDT

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Do you have a 9-5 or a 9-3 ? The article is on a 9-5 which is 98 the 9-3 is 5 years newer. Personally, I think the 9-5 looks good and it's a 2.3 litre pushing 260hp - not bad. Sure it needs an update but it's not trash by any means. No sense getting worked up over something that may or may not happen. Enjoy the ride - plus it's yours unless you want to lose a few grand at least.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can get better cars for the same or less money in my opinion, like a Porsche Boxster, BMW 325i, or Mini Cooper. They are very unique though, thats why I love them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all the support. It's not my intention to worry and cry about my purchase, but after reading so many negative comments regarding the reliability of Saabs, it just gets me to start thinking about the "what if.." happens. Ok, enough of that negative karma and on to more positive thoughts! Btw, my wife just bought a 2008 Altima Coupe, which is very nice, but nothing like driving the Saab 9-3!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've hardly found a post on that forum that doesn't degrade, denounce or diminish in some overtly hypercritical fashion.

Some of those posts are very well written, but I cannot seem to escape the image that most of the posters, after having done so, drive to work the next morning in a 93 Neon.

You are indeed not what you drive and most certainly not what you own. For me, buying a Saab was very simple. Incredible value, safety and performance. I put a lot of miles on mine, and and the likelyhood of being involved in an accident grow stronger everyday. When it happens (and it will) I'll have the best chance of surviving with minimal injuries. And so will my Family if they are in the car with me.

Brand identities evolve. Saab right now is a pretty well kept secret. People who comment on my car (07 9-3 SS anniversary) universally approach with comments such as "wow, that's a really expensive car". When in fact the Camry they recently bought at near full sticker, was actually more expensive than my 9-3.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dont lose sight of the fact that people RARELY post (or even Join) forums because they have reliability.

the majority of joiners are here because they have a problem with their car. Those without simply arent here inthe first place.

Assume you have a BMW 3 series, now go look at BMW forums, they are littered with Turbo failures costing many thousands to put right.

My old Ford had has a forum so large, it is split up into every conceivable sub forum because there are so many problems (but it was a good car though)

It's a machine, it is bound to play up from time to time, they all do.

Every manufacturer produces lemons, just keep your fingers crossed it's not you that buys one!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have my convertible 93 since April 2007 8000 km and only 1 problem: the right upwards engine support had to be replaced due to a construction fault !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts