SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning on doing some serious work on my car which includes a td04, and I need some experianced opinions. I've been looking around and ran a search on ebay for "td04", http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=td04&category0=.
Quite a few are listed as new for less than $300. Is that about what they usually run or is this "too good to be true?" More specifically I was looking at this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T25-...002QQitemZ120166471604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW.
Would that fit right onto a 2001 9-3?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
949 Posts
BZach9-3 said:
I've been planning on doing some serious work on my car which includes a td04, and I need some experianced opinions. I've been looking around and ran a search on ebay for "td04", http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=td04&category0=.
Quite a few are listed as new for less than $300. Is that about what they usually run or is this "too good to be true?" More specifically I was looking at this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T25-T28-TD04-H-INTERNAL-WG-TURBO-CHARGER-FLANGE-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ002QQitemZ120166471604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW.
Would that fit right onto a 2001 9-3?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
It's not usually the turbocharger itself that is the big expense. It's the supporting mods required to fully utilize the capabilities of your new turbo that make the project a bit more costly.

I'm assuming your car is not a H.O.T. model?

D-

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was under the assumption that all 01-02 cars were HOT cars (equipped with the Mitsubishi td04HL-15T and Viggen intercooler). My 2002 is and I am yet to see a another 2002 with a Garrett? Can't speak for the '01's though.

Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my car is not an HOT. I figured a lot of money was spent more towards the supporting mods but I didn't know a turbo could be aquired for so little.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If your car isn't equipped with the td04, they can be had for $300 in decent shape. But, if you're going to the trouble and the expense of swapping the turbo you might think about building an 18T, it all depends on your budget.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bigsky said:
I was under the assumption that all 01-02 cars were HOT cars (equipped with the Mitsubishi td04HL-15T and Viggen intercooler). My 2002 is and I am yet to see a another 2002 with a Garrett? Can't speak for the '01's though.

Mike
The 01 MY was the last year the Garrett was offered.

I agree with BigSky, an 18T might be a good option. Of course it does depend on your specific goals.:cool:

D-

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Bigsky said:

Mike

Mike, definitely all the SE models from 00 to 02 had the TD04 and the crossflow IC, but there were still some base models sold during 00 and 01 with the Garretts. Not very many, but some...

The 9-3 trim levels went through some odd iterations from 00-02. After a while, all the cars got the sport suspension and the ACC, but some early base models still had cloth seats and manual temp control. ...and the Garrett snails...

02 and 03 were nutso years, as some of the 02 models got the "Turbo" embossed seats, and others actually got Viggen seats. Some of the 03 SE verts got the whole Viggen interior and body kit....

·
Registered
597 Posts
I actually should have know about the '01's, my wife's friend has a base model 2001 93 with Garrett and dual pass intercooler.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My td04 core came today speaking of, off it goes this afternoon to Deadbolt for the 18T treatment. Anyone know where I can find a cheap set of green giants?

Mike

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
It won't fit the air intake, either. I'm also wondering what exactly that turbo is. They call it a T25/T28 TD04-H, but it can't be all three. It looks more like a Garrett than a Mitsubishi to me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. I talked to Jak Stoll and he said that my car had the Garrett gt17 with the viggen intercooler. (My car also has manual temp controls :lol: )
2. So that turbo won't fit? What specifically am I looking for that will fit?

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
You want one that came from a Viggen or a 9000 Aero. Saab versions have special housings that bolt right up to their air intake and exhaust pipes. Most every OEM turbo has custom housings that are made just for the car they fit in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm currently selling my TD04HL-15T over here in the UK. There are some decent pics on the auction site (http://tinyurl.com/2zdlvc), but just let me know if you need any specific angles - it's off the car so it won't be problem to get and email them to you. The lines shown are the ones you'd need to fit it in place of a Garrett as fitted to a 1999 UK 9-3 and you keep one of the lines from the Garret. (I was gonna do this mod to my Abbott'd 9-3 but ended up getting a Viggen instead). You also need a different mounting bracket for the TD04 to fit it to the block. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts