SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.
Im new to this forum. My name is Daro, Im 25 from Rome, italy, but I have been living in Miami for 5 years. I study automotive technology at BCC.
Just recently my g/f toyota cressida blew the head gasket, and while I was working on replacing it, I found a 1999 Saab 9-3 for sale locally with 104k miles, 4 doors, automatic, turbo, with power everything, and in great shape.
The only problem was that the power steering pump broke, and the serpentine belt was off, so the battery was dead and the car had no pwer steering. I put in a charged battery, started the car, and saw that everything was fine. No overheating etc.
I convinced my g/f that it was a great buy, and i could fix the PS pump easily and she would have a 4500 car for much less, so we negotiated and got the car for $800.
Then i decided to drive it home, and this might have been the first mistake. on the higway the car overheated all the way to the top of the red area while I was driving, but then when i stopped it went back to the middle.
The engine coolant was low, i noticed...very low.
The car was also leaking from underneath (maybe from the water pump since the belt was off??) and some steam came out from the front, although the temp was in the middle.
Ok i get home and I order a used PS pump from ebay and when I get it i install it.
Then i notice that the lower pulley is not there, and after reading this forum I thought that maybe the old owner did the short belt modification.
anyways I buy the belt everyone talks about 6pk2465 but its too long .
So i take a look at the older belt that was in the car when I bought it and i notice its shorter. I go to autozone and i get a replacement . 6pk2345. I go home and I install it. I find out the tensioner pulley housing was broken, so I have to use vise grips to pull the tensioner backwards and install the belt.
I try to start the car and I hear a loud "CRACK"./ The small top back pulley is gone. The metal broke right off the housing. i look around, and I cant even find i the pulley!!
After that the car started once, and now it doesnt start anymore.
it cranks, but it doesnt start.
What have I done?
Now i have to replace the tensioner pulley, the housing (i dont know if it is a whole part) and start again, hoping that when i do try to start the car it won't break again. I am even thinking to get the lower pulley and get the stock belt, for fear that this will happen again.
Was the belt too tight? iI did take me a bit of effort to put it on and it was on pretty tight, but not super tight.
My G/f is mad, she has no car to go around cause she already passed insurance and regist. to the saab, and now the car doesnt even start.
I tried searching, believe me, but my situation is quite complex, so I thought id try posting.
Sorry if the posting is too long, i just wanted to get it all out.
I hope somebody can help with why the 6pk2465 belt that seems to be perfect for everybody was too long for me, why did the tensioner pulley break off and why the car doesnt start anymore.
Thanks in advance!!
Dario

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, im sorry Frank, but not everybody is born smart like you and we do make mistakes sometimes. But Im glad you are perfect and never do make mistakes.
One day when you will be in need of help I will make sure I will write the same comment.
If your not going to help, at least avoid offending.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Frank, just help the guy!

What if it was you??!!
How can you help someone that would purposely drive his car on the interstate with no serpentine belt, a known bad water pump and no coolant then acts surprised when it overheats and blows steam? Honestly, who does that?

As far as being perfect, I am FAR FROM PERFECT but how could someone do something like that? You seriously thought that driving it on the interstate was the correct course of action?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well,. sometimes you dont have a choice. The girl needed it gone and I decided to drive it home. If I would have added more coolant or water it wouldnt have overheated. And anyways it only overheated for 10 seconds or so, then i twent back to normal, so I SERIOUSLY DOUBT
that any damage was done.
And you can drive it without a belt. As long as you have enough coolant/water in the radiator.

Anyways, you can avoid further comments, and let people who want to help post too.

ITs funny how you edited your first reply and deleted the part: YOUR QUESTION DOESNT EVEN DESERVE AN ANSWER>...
and then you edited and deleted from the second post: LIFE IS TOUGH, ITS TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID....
are you ashamed of yourself?? Dont want others to see your comments?
You should be...and what is that Xray in your profile? is that the size of your brain???

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Ok,
when you say it only over-heated for 10 seconds and went back to normal.
well that was all your coolant leaking out somewhere.

Check EVERYTHING!!! -
hoses
radiator
head gasket
water pump

Most likely you are in for a big repair.
sorry bud.

Oh, and welcome to the forums ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dario no offense but if your studying Auto Tech at BCC you should have known better, ever hear of a Tow truck? Now its time to take a deep breath,...a good scratch on the A**,...mabye a head scratch and just take a good visual of what you actually need for parts. Sounds llike a tensioner assy, the right belt and a water pump to start. You can get all but the belt at your local salvage yard, good luck, and dont be so hurried for results this time. Take your time and think it through.

Reading your post it sounds like you were pressured a little to get the car out of the persons yard. Mabye they knew something you did'nt?

·
Registered
997 Posts
First off, a 1999 9-3 does not require the short belt mod. The pulley in question was removed for the 9-3 design. If the belt broke while being driven it probably ripped through something (check all the lines, vacuum, anything on the passenger side of the engine). The correct belt size is indeed 2345mm. I would fix the pulley, flush and fill the coolant (and probably have it pressured checked to look for a leak in the system, a tow truck ride to a mechanic would be involved unless you have some friends), Find what needs to be replaced and fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi thanks for the replies. The belt didn't rip. When i bought the car the old belt was just off. And when the small upper pulley broke the belt was still fine.
I just dont understand why it would not start anymore now. i must have started it like 6 times after the overheating prob. and it was running perfectly. no weird noises, etc.
Dio you guys think that since i drove the car without the belt i messed up the water pump?
Also I attach a pic to show where the metal broke.(where the rust is) Its the bracket where the small top pulley connects too. How do I replace that? Isnt it attached to the block? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
tucksayre said:
An excellent link and reply to a rather sticky situation.

We were all young once; myself, I had to learn every thing the hard way.
In a way, I agree with Frank - maybe not the best "bedside manner" - and this is important..
And, of course, Dario is correct, one can operate a motor vehicle without the serpentine belt - driving the poor thing even on the interstate - PROVIDING one is willing to stop every 1000 yards to allow the engine to shed its heat for 20 minutes..:cheesy: Remember, that without the belt we have little or no circulation of coolant.

Legal ? No
Wise ? Hardly
Economical ? Not really

At an age of 17, would I do this ? YES!

Now, as to why this $800 car no longer starts- nor runs -
IMO, best to drop the Automotive Technology and switch over the Auto Mechanics -101.
Spark
Compression
Fuel
Timing

·
Registered
556 Posts
Without going outside in the 25F flying snow weather we just received to confirm my installation, it looks like the upper pully bolt just came loose and then left! The end of the threaded hole may be damaged a bit but it may be just a case of bolting on a new pulley.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Dario said:
Well,. sometimes you dont have a choice. The girl needed it gone and I decided to drive it home. If I would have added more coolant or water it wouldnt have overheated. And anyways it only overheated for 10 seconds or so, then i twent back to normal, so I SERIOUSLY DOUBT
that any damage was done.
And you can drive it without a belt. As long as you have enough coolant/water in the radiator.

Anyways, you can avoid further comments, and let people who want to help post too.

ITs funny how you edited your first reply and deleted the part: YOUR QUESTION DOESNT EVEN DESERVE AN ANSWER>...
and then you edited and deleted from the second post: LIFE IS TOUGH, ITS TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID....
are you ashamed of yourself?? Dont want others to see your comments?
You should be...and what is that Xray in your profile? is that the size of your brain???
Don't be hard on him, he's a great and helpful guy and probably got mad as this was preventable :cheesy:

As for the LIFE IS TOUGH, ITS TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID comment, it's his signature cooment; many have one. It appears on all of his replies so don't be offended by that. It was never directed at you.

I think he replaced it because he thought it would be misinterpreted with the reply at hand :cheesy:

So relax. We're all here to help.

I think they were trying to fix the car they sold you and made a mess. They broke the tentionner lever and were probably replacing the pulley as well asnd never tightened it properly.

Don't be mad, even if the engine is bad you got a good deal at $800 :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
jperk said:
Running the car without the belt (thus no water pump) and overheating it, you may have warped the head....this may be why the car isn't starting (lack of compression).

Exactly what i thought when i posted last night

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When i first bought the car there was NO COOLANT. I added some before I drove it home. Also, there was NO OIL in the dipstick, so I added 2 quarts before I drove it.
But still, the car started fine, and it drove really well, no knocking, weird noises, shaking. It felt powerful too.. the car also started a couple of other times, and it was running great until the pulley broke.
What i think happened, is something got stuck, maybe the PS pump pulley was touching the water pump pulley, (because in the first attemp, the car couldnt start. I thought the battery didnt have enough juice but it wasnt the battery, the PS pump pulley was somehow touching the water pump pulley, and so the engine coudnt turn over freely. On the second attempt, the small top pulley bracket broke off, maybe becuase of too much stress.
Is that possible?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts