SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new Fuel Pump. What is worse is that I have to wait for the part as it is coming from Sweden.

Now....having said this....what appears to be happening is that the unit is sending false readings to my fuel indicator in the car. It shows empty when I fill up the tank and after about 100 km, the indicator fluctuates between fuel and the half fuel marking. ar around 250 km, it appears to show the appropriate fuel reading.

My question to you guys:

Could the fuel pump ( which seems to be in the tank) send false readings on how much fuel is in the car?

The head technician has mentioned that I should use the trip odometer to estimate when I need to refuel the car. I already mentioned that I was doing that since the problem occurred.

The fun part will estimating when I need fuel as I will be travelling to Michigan (roughly 1000km). Which means that I will probably fill up once at home in Ottawa, once before Toronto? We do that anyway just to be safe as you never know what type of traffic situation one would end up on on the 401. Then sometime in Michigan.

Hopefully, by the time I get back, the fuel pump will arrive and my car will be fixed up.

Anyways....that appears to be the latest happenings on my car. The second major issue that his car has in the almost two years that I have had it. Not bad...

Paul

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
brunp said:
Could the fuel pump ( which seems to be in the tank) send false readings on how much fuel is in the car?
I'll bet the fuel pump and level indicator float are all part of the same assembly. Probably the fuel pickup and filter screen too. Either that or everything kind of plugs into the fuel pump. There must be one wiring harness that provides both power for the pump and connects to the fuel level sender.

So, I don't think your pump is bad. I think it's just all part of the sub-asembly they need to replace.

All guesses, BTW. Some members here, like SaabTech, might actually KNOW.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Paul,

Drove the 9-3 from Detroit to Montreal a couple of months ago. You should have plenty of margin with a fill up in TO. If I remember correctly, I started with a full tank, filled in Kingston, then on the way back just before Toronto.

Sucks that the fuel pump and level guage are integrated like they are. I'm looking at the same problem with my Silverado, but I've been putting it off for a while...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
second "major" issue and you think it's not bad??? in my book, yeah...that's kinda bad...from an '04. the only thing i've had to get fixed so far was the center mounted brake light. i think the switch went bad, causing the brake light to stay on, even after turning off the car. i had to unplug the actual light so it wouldn't drain my battery. that's really about it with my car. ok, well, i've had this re-occuring issue with the plastic knobs controlling the bass, treble, and fade on the base headunit. they all seem to develop a crack, which eventually starts creeping up towards the face/top of the knob. my original one did, and the replacement does too. i'm gonna give up as soon as they replace it one more time for scratches on the face of the ICM.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
brunp said:
I need a new Fuel Pump. What is worse is that I have to wait for the part as it is coming from Sweden.

Now....having said this....what appears to be happening is that the unit is sending false readings to my fuel indicator in the car. It shows empty when I fill up the tank and after about 100 km, the indicator fluctuates between fuel and the half fuel marking. ar around 250 km, it appears to show the appropriate fuel reading.

My question to you guys:

The head technician has mentioned that I should use the trip odometer to estimate when I need to refuel the car. I already mentioned that I was doing that since the problem occurred.

The fun part will estimating when I need fuel as I will be travelling to Michigan (roughly 1000km). Which means that I will probably fill up once at home in Ottawa, once before Toronto? We do that anyway just to be safe as you never know what type of traffic situation one would end up on on the 401. Then sometime in Michigan.

Hopefully, by the time I get back, the fuel pump will arrive and my car will be fixed up.

Anyways....that appears to be the latest happenings on my car. The second major issue that his car has in the almost two years that I have had it. Not bad...

Paul

The fuel pump sending unit is bad, or has a bad connection. The fuel pump is probably fine and should last the life of the car (unless you upgrade the power output :cool: )

FWIW: The fuel pump sending unit on my first Saab, an 86 900T went bad at 120K miles. I drove it like that for about three years, making four or five round trips between New York and Florida, and only ran out of gas once, when I tried to see just how long I could go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just be careful!

The fuel lubricates the pump, and if you run too low then the pump gets fried.

If you have any idea that you may be running low (or have run out) then do not crank the engine as this causes the pump to heat up and sieze.

Equally if you do think you have run out, leave the car for a good 30 mins to let the pump cool down, otherwise the cold fuel cracks the pump.

All found out during a drive home from the South of France to Scotland with a caravan on the back!

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I did some checking on AllData and there is a "Fuel Level Sensor" integrated in the fuel pump unit. The problem could be there.

Fuel Level Sensor (46)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts