SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the heck is the fuel filter? I've been searching around on here for a bit and on google, can't seem to find anyone that tells me where the filter actually is. I have been doing a few things to the viggen today and thought I'd toss in this new filter I have, but i'm about to pull out what hair I have left. I feel like I should already know where this is though. Thanks in advance!

jerel

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah, my canister was actually black because of how dirty it was. I was expecting it to be under the hood like most fuel filters I've ever changed, it was a shock when I didn't see something that shiny silver that looked like the filter under the hood. I got it changed, talk about fun! tommorow I change every bit of my brake fluid. thanks for the help everyone!

jerel

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
too many thinks

Many/most of the newer cars have the fuel filter in this general spot - I think they have run out of space under the hood. I do not believe this is a better location as it it very subject to corrosion...The manufacturers are making a mistake in designing the front of an automobile to be too small and short...

Bleeding the brakes/renewing the fluid :
Pressure method or gravity method(my idea) ?
Using the brake pedal is out - too many problems; is also more costly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
earthworm said:
Many/most of the newer cars have the fuel filter in this general spot - I think they have run out of space under the hood. I do not believe this is a better location as it it very subject to corrosion...The manufacturers are making a mistake in designing the front of an automobile to be too small and short...
I tend to agree, why would you put it right there so close to the wheels/ground/ick/crud that can do damage to such an important device? As you said, too small/too short up front now.

earthworm said:
Bleeding the brakes/renewing the fluid :
Pressure method or gravity method(my idea) ?
Using the brake pedal is out - too many problems; is also more costly.
I read as much as I thought I could handle about which method to use, I really like the gravity idea, but decided to go ahead and splurge for the power bleeder by Motive. Got that and the blue brake fluid (racing?!?!), cuz i'm a racer, you know.. ;)

The job went very well, one thing I didn't realize going into it was that I was definitely going to have to take the front wheels off in order to get the hose on the bleeder, the hose just wouldn't go on. Got away with not having to do this on the rear wheels though, so that was nice. The pump is super easy to use, and fast. I did it on Saturday, just this last weekend, it ended up taking me about 1.5-2 hours because of me messing around and learning the process. I'm probably going to buy the adapter kit for my WRX and do it this way too. I'd estimate that if I'm on the ball, I can easily do a complete swap of fluid in 30 minutes (if not faster) with this method. And yes, I did a full swap, I was at 73k or so, probably should have been done at 60k, in accordance with the 60k mile maintenance plan that everyone should abide by.. ;) After I did the brake fluid job I went ahead and flushed the coolant. Read a lot about that too, ended up finding the 6mm plastic 'bolt' that some people are calling a draincuck (?), after making a pretty good mess, I figured it out and now have the hang of that too. Working on Saab's is fun! I need a lift!

jerel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts