SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ignorant self from 6 months ago didn't know there was a difference between the orange and green coolants. So I topped off the coolant in my 2005 9-3 with green. Seeing as it was November in Minnesota, I had no issues with cooling.

Fast forward 6 months, It is now April and my car has been having issues where the engine will abruptly die (always while stopped in traffic or idling) and it wont turn back on. When I turn the key all the electronics come on but nothing happens when i try to start the engine.

The quick fix is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Then the car will start and I can usually drive for 2-3 minutes before it happens again. This will continue until I can get the car home. Then I let it sit and the next day it seems to be fine. Also turning on the defroster at full blast seems to help slow the symptoms.

Now I know what you're thinking- Crank position sensor. Replaced it, problems came back.

A couple other pieces of info:
-Every time the problem has come up has been when I have the top down. I think that may just have to do with the fact that it happens on warmer days when one would want to have the top down.
-This doesn't happen every day. I make my commute to work every day just fine(mostly interstate)
-Occasionally when I start the car it will be in Limp mode-disconnecting the battery fixes this.

I fear that as we get deeper into summer the problems will just get worse. Did all of this arise from mixing the coolants? I plan to flush the system this weekend, should this fix the problem? Is it possible that due to a messed up cooling system the new CPS went bad as well?

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Doubtful. Just a top off probably isn't the end of the world. You would know if it was coolant related as your car would overheat.

Any codes? CEL indicated?

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
That typically means the ECU is on its way out.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
would that account for the other problems that I have been having? Just to be clear, that's engine control unit, right?
All signs point to yes. Yes ECU is Engine Control Unit.

·
Registered
683 Posts
As diggs said, very unlikely the mixed coolant is your issue, especially with now high temp changes/warnings.

However, you have lost long-life coolant properties and will now need to do regular periodic flushes from here on out. Of course, I never viewed the orange as "lifetime" anyway and still do flushes with the orange stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
As diggs said, very unlikely the mixed coolant is your issue, especially with now high temp changes/warnings.

However, you have lost long-life coolant properties and will now need to do regular periodic flushes from here on out. Of course, I never viewed the orange as "lifetime" anyway and still do flushes with the orange stuff.
AC Delco Service Bulletin, April 9, 2004:
Contamination
Mixing conventional green coolant with DEX-COOL® will degrade the service interval from 5yrs./150,000 miles to 2yrs./30,000 miles (50,000 km) if left in the contaminated condition. If contamination occurs, the cooling system must be flushed twice immediately and re-filled with a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL® and clean water in order to preserve the enhanced properties and extended service interval of DEX-COOL®.

After 5 years/150,000 miles (240,000 km) -

After 5 yrs/150,000 miles (240,000 km), the coolant should be changed, preferably using a coolant exchanger. If the vehicle was originally equipped with DEX-COOL(R) and has not had problems with contamination from non-DEX-OOL(R) coolants, then the service interval remains the same, and the coolant does not need to be changed for another 5 yrs/150,000 miles (240,000 km)

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mixing green coolant with existing Dex-Cool won't harm anything, other than degrade the long-life properties of the original orange coolant. Given that you were a little low on coolant to start with, I'd guess that the orange stuff was due for a flush anyway.

I'll second the ECU suggestion.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Huh... I don't think that I've ever touched the coolant in my car before, like, ever -- ever touched it. Is that bad? I mean, I'm thankful that I've never had any trouble with the coolant in my car (knock on wood) but should I flush it or refill it soon or something?

It's a 2005 with 102k miles on it...

EDIT: Not trying to hijack the thread! Sorry!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Huh... I don't think that I've ever touched the coolant in my car before, like, ever -- ever touched it. Is that bad? I mean, I'm thankful that I've never had any trouble with the coolant in my car (knock on wood) but should I flush it or refill it soon or something?

It's a 2005 with 102k miles on it...

EDIT: Not trying to hijack the thread! Sorry!

Yes. Despite whatever the manual might say.

5 years / 150,000 miles was what should have been done, but now that OP has mixed coolant, OP needs to now be doing it every 2 years / 30,000 miles.

Very important to keep the dex-cool straight to avoid this hassle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts