SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night, 11/17/07, I was t-boned in my 1986 Saab 900S 4-door n/a. The drivers side is pretty smashed, and since I can't really get a hold of insurance or anything today I was wondering what this damage might add up to and whether the car is totalled or not. I love the car so much and I don't want to lose her but I'm not sure about the repair costs. I think both drivers side doors need to be replaced, a rim and tire, and the rear drivers side panel. I'm not sure if there is any frame damage or if there is any structural damage. The car is still drivable (I put on the spare and got it home), but I don't have much experience with shop costs for Saabs since I always do it myself.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but regardless of whether it's fixable or not, from the insurances point of view, its totaled.

Usually you have the option of buying it back from them, usually for peanuts, and although it would then have a salvage title, you could pay for the repairs yourself and get it back on the road if it is fixable.

Without pics or a better discription of how it was t-boned, ie in a parking lot or at 50mph etc, its hard to tell exactly how badly its damaged, but more than likely, unless you know someone in the body repair business, it would probably be smarter to simply/easier/cheaper replace it with another 900.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Sokra_shilowa said:
Well last night, 11/17/07, I was t-boned in my 1986 Saab 900S 4-door n/a. The drivers side is pretty smashed, and since I can't really get a hold of insurance or anything today I was wondering what this damage might add up to and whether the car is totalled or not. I love the car so much and I don't want to lose her but I'm not sure about the repair costs. I think both drivers side doors need to be replaced, a rim and tire, and the rear drivers side panel. I'm not sure if there is any frame damage or if there is any structural damage. The car is still drivable (I put on the spare and got it home), but I don't have much experience with shop costs for Saabs since I always do it myself.
Sorry, but that's dead, mate.

My 3dr Turbo's very borderline financially viable, with just a dent in the rear wing. I've been quoted £650 (with a hint of mate's rates in the quote) to beat it out/finish/paint. To replace the wing would have been nearer £2,000.

If the rim's damaged, is the suspension?
If both doors, wheel and wing are damaged, are the B and C pillars?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Sorry, but that's dead, mate.

My 3dr Turbo's very borderline financially viable, with just a dent in the rear wing. I've been quoted £650 (with a hint of mate's rates in the quote) to beat it out/finish/paint. To replace the wing would have been nearer £2,000.

If the rim's damaged, is the suspension?
If both doors, wheel and wing are damaged, are the B and C pillars?
Why not just beat it out yourself ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it was in town so at 25 or below speed. I was suspecting it was probably insurance destroyed. The b-pillar is fine and the c-pillar looks okay the only thing that got bent up to do with the c-pillar was the front of the rear fender. I think from the looks of it the rear of my frame got tweaked a bit since my trunk is off center and stuff. The suspension seems to be alright and doesn't look like it is messed up.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Sokra_shilowa said:
well it was in town so at 25 or below speed. I was suspecting it was probably insurance destroyed. The b-pillar is fine and the c-pillar looks okay the only thing that got bent up to do with the c-pillar was the front of the rear fender. I think from the looks of it the rear of my frame got tweaked a bit since my trunk is off center and stuff. The suspension seems to be alright and doesn't look like it is messed up.
Best bet is to leave it to the insurance people to decide, but make sure you take all your own personal stuff out of the car before it's assessed. They'll know that they will have to pay up to the insured value to repair the car, or pay you out to write it off. When my 89 16V car was damaged some months back, the insurance company paid to have it repaired and the repair costs were A$4300, while the car is insured for A$5500. Due to the damage (driver's door bent toward front of the car which destroyed the a-pillar, driver's side front fender, and the bonnet/hood), I expected the car would be written off!

Anyway if the insurance company does write it off, make sure that if you want to strip the car for spare parts, you don't let the insurance company take it. The car is yours and belongs to you, so the insurance company cannot take possession of the car. You would never be able to re-register/insure it though as it'd be regarded as a statutory write-off.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Sokra_shilowa said:
Can you close all the doors and drive down the road without the car trying to turn around on you? If so the damage is mostly cosmetic and you can keep driving around like that ;)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
What hit you? ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
If the damage arround the doors is contained to the doors, and the posts are o.k., and the quarter pannel dent does not have much deflection, it sounds as if it may be "repairable" Of course it is repairable, by "repairable" I mean financially a worth while option. Side impacts are often very hard and tricky to fix. The insurance company will most likely determin it is a total. Find the private party book value for the car, and if the damage exceeds 80% of this, it will be considered a total loss by the insurance company. Usually the buy back value from the insurance company is about 20% of the private party book value. The formula for the math would be Private book value - 20% + cost of repairs. Of course repairs could consist of repairing the quarter pannel and installing used doors. I hope you come out of this with a favorable result.

-Word of caution, insurance companies like to low ball people with older cars. Similar situation happened to me 4 years ago with a subaru worth + - $2,800. The car was rear ended at high speed and was definately a total. The other insurance company called me and said they would give $500.00, then $800.00 take it or leave it. (the $800.00 was if I signed a release from liablilty for medical expenses for my whiplash injury). I only had liablilty on it, no collision so I could not go through my insurance company for the car settlement. I said I would settle for low book value, they refused a settlement. The adjuster actually laughed at me and stated that he knew I had no resources to take legal action because I was driving such an old car, I obviously did not have two nickels to rub together. What a jerk. I purchased a new Subaru on my own. I ended up suing them and getting far more than I was origionally asking for, but this took over a year. Be patient and stand your ground.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
c900 said:
You would never be able to re-register/insure it though as it'd be regarded as a statutory write-off.
You would in the UK - it'd be a CatC or CatD write-off and would need (for a CatC) a vehicle identity check just to make sure it isn't a ringer. A CatD wouldn't need anything.

AIUI, in the US you could, but it'd be on a "salvage title".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I can drive it around alright if I get a new tire and pull the fender out of the way. BTW the car that hit me was a Dodge Durango. Yeah so since the other driver was found at fault and their insurance should be paying for it I don't really know what will happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts