SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well first off...

i hit 150,000 on the way home frome school.

and the bad...

as you can see the oil light takes a few seconds to come on and then comes on and stays on if the rpm's are under 1000, now i just had the oil pan dropped and cleaned out. will the oil light only come on for low oil pressure? could this be a sigh of the oil pump on its last leg? also this only happens if i drive more than 15 miles and get in to boost. the oil level has not moved at all.
tomorrow im going to reset the ecu and see what that does. i hope that will make the light go away. also could this be the sensor that is bad?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the sensor is working correctly, the oil light is triggered around 4-7psi, which is very low - the pressure should be much higher even at idle. The sensor itself is not that difficult to replace if you can get under the car and is like a $5 part from Eeuroparts - however from the video it appears that the sensor is most likely working correctly (usually when they go bad, the oil light won't go on at all at startup and won't warn you when the pressure is low)

Just resetting the ECU won't make the oil light go away...
A good idea also may be to remove the pressure sensor and install a temporary or permanent oil pressure guage.
I wouldn't run or drive the car in its current condition until you determine that the sensor is bad (not likely) or fix the problem.

Since you just had your pan cleaned I would venture to say that as you guessed; the oil pump could be worn, One thing to check first would be the oil pressure relief valve for scoring:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90945&highlight=pressure+relief+valve

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well today im going to change the oil and call the shop to make 100% sure that they didnt miss anything. i dont understand how stuff could just fail 40 - 50 miles out of the shop.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it only comes on when the oil warms up, so im going to change the oil and filter and replace the sensor. i hope that will help. the only other thing i can think of is the shop it was at left/droped something in the oil pan when they took it off, mayb they pushed sludge through the pick up screen. im lost.;oops:

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the oil pumps on our car, do they wear out and slowly stop working or do they just stop working? mayb that could be it? im going to flush the oil system. ( add an oil flusher which breaks down sluge and oil, refil with cheap oil and just let it run and then use the oil flusher again and then drain and refil with lucas 20w50 racing oil and oil additive) i am also going to replace the oil pressure senson well the oil is out just to take that off the list of things that could be wrong. also i called the shop up and told them about what was going on and they said after i flushed out the oil and if i still had the problem to drop the car off and they would take the pan out and the pick up to make sure nothing is stuck in them.
and back to the oil pump where is it? is it a in pan one?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well after some more testing the oil light only comes on after the oil has been warmed up and the heat is off. if i have my heat on at all the light will never come on. if i shut the heat off then in about 2-3min. the light will come back on if the rpms go below 1000.

im lost, all of this started to happen the day i got my car back from the shop that cleaned the pick up screen and the pan. could it have gone back in wrong or something? does anyone have any pictures of the whole pick up out?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to try the oil pump and see where that gets me, has anyone done a pump before? anything i should know?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so today i ordered a oil pump with all seals needed and a new head gasket kit from eeuro and after i try that i will get back to you guys to see if that fixed it.

also i will install a oil pressure guage from jegs.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i put in an oil guage...

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but i seem to have great oil pressure...
this is start up when the engine is cold.

this is idle when the engine is warm ( a 30 mile drive)

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but here is what i dont get...

TURN SOUND OFF BEFORE YOU PLAY!!!

as you can see in the video the oil light flashes and will stay on, but if you could read the oil pressure guage you could see it says well over 10psi when the light should come on... but thats not the weird part, i took the pressure sensor out and as far as i know thats all that will make the light turn on.. right?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WaSaabiPSI said:
thats crazy. The only thing I can think of is there's another sensor somewhere.
thats what i thought to, but where...

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WaSaabiPSI said:
somewhere inside the engine maybe? i really have no clue. R u just going to run it with the gauge on it?
yes, i checked my workshop cd and i could not find anything. i thought mayb it was the guage, so i hooked up another one and it gave me the same readings. so im lost now... i think there is a short in the line for the sensor, i was just one hot wire going to the sensor and it just grounds out on the block and turns the light on. i still have the sensor and im going to take a look at it because now that im thinking of it the little rubber boot might have had a small hole in it because there was a small amount of oil around the sensor spring. does oil conduct? if so then that could have been that was going on, the oil would heat up enough to fit in the hole in the rubber boot and then at idle as the pressure wne down the rubber boot would move and let the oil come in contact with the hot side of the sensor and then making the light come on. or that could have nothing to do with it.

it must have been a bad sensor or something infront of it, my oil pressure never drops below 20psi, at start up its goes up to 70psi and then slowly goes down to 40psi and stays around there at 2krpms

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So what's the conclusion with this problem? Did you solve it? What is the oil pressure on the aftermarket oil pressure gauge you installed?

The stock gauges in any car arn't always accurate, including dummy lights.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First off he forgot to secure the oem oil pressure sensor wire to something that it couldn't ground itself against which is what triggers the oil light and the dinger. Also all his oil pressure numbers are correct and are exactly what I reported after installing my gauge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts