SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 9-3 se.

This is my new favorite car I have owned, though I still miss my Jetta(R.I.P).

What mods should I start with? I'm looking to have something that is quick, but still practical for a daily use.

·
Registered
428 Posts
GT3071 Turbo, Head/Cam, Huge Intercooler, 60 lb. Injectors, Water/Methanol Injection, Stage X ECU

Don't worry about simple exhaust or suspension until later. :lol:

I'm only kidding. There are so many past threads on this site that answer this question that it's ridiculous (I think I asked this when I first joined, don't feel bad).

Seriously though, just get a full exhaust, open air intake, fuel pressure regulator, and a stage 2 or 3 ECU upgrade. Don't forget about any suspension work you might want done to make the car feel good as new (rear anti-sway bar, steering rack brace, 6 point subframe brace, new shocks/springs). Also an upgrade in brakes would be nice if you plan on a large increase in horsepower.

That should do you nicely.

·
Registered
956 Posts
it really depends how much power you want and how quick you want it and how much your willing to spend. i would look into suspension like posted before, a rear arb, 6 point sub frame brace, steering rack clamp/brace, and koni kit. all these items will completely transform how your car handles and will still be smooth and a great ride. i have this set up of all those parts and love it!
for performance like i said before it depends how much power you want, and money, and blah blah blah. so to give you an idea-
3 inch turbo back exhaust, intake, fmic highly recommended, ecu = stage 3 = 260 hp 280 lb ft roughly
add bigger turbo like td0415t 5cm or t25/28 these are still smaller for quick spool drivability =stage 4 = 280+ hp 290+ lb ft
add injectors for stage 5 = 300+ hp 310+ lb ft
these are just estimates and i mentioned smaller turbos for drivability quick spooling since thats what you mentioned you want.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
the basics
steering rack and brace
22mm rear anti roll bar
manual boost controller with an anticipator if you feel like spending the money

since you are likely already ahead of most people, if you have a HOT 9-3se with 200hp which im pretty sure you do

if you want more then i would say shocks and maybe springs depending on how many driveways and speed bumps you have to navigate along with exhaust and stage 3 ecu

·
Registered
956 Posts
lowbudgethero said:
if you want more then i would say shocks and maybe springs depending on how many driveways and speed bumps you have to navigate along with exhaust and stage 3 ecu
i havent really had a problem with scraping even with the catalog front on the car with the koni kit. its not that low.... but maybe im just used ot being in lower cars but ive only had problems scraping when im on dirt or gravel roads with big holes and bumps and uneven road paths but for every driveway and city road even some construction roads ive been fine with

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
If the 8th letter of the VIN is "P" then you already have a viggen intercooler, uprated ecu and westegate.

Either way, you should definately upgrade your intercooler living in such a hot climate, just don't buy something you already have.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
sleet said:
i havent really had a problem with scraping even with the catalog front on the car with the koni kit. its not that low.... but maybe im just used ot being in lower cars but ive only had problems scraping when im on dirt or gravel roads with big holes and bumps and uneven road paths but for every driveway and city road even some construction roads ive been fine with
i didnt do the springs on my car and a small part of my underbody plastic got taken out off one of the ridculously big speed bumps at my college

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
fenfir said:
though I still miss my Jetta(R.I.P).
Not for long.

This is not an "official" statistic, but I'd bet my paycheck against any one else's judging soley by the many years I have spent on this site.... More VW's owners switch to Saab then any other make.

Time and time and time again, someone here will say "Just traded the *insert VW* for a Saab *insert make*". More then any other. Betcha'. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts