SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guy's

I been watching the salvage auctions here in OZ for ages and finally a manual turbo came up. So I bid on it and won.
It's been written off ,never to be re-registered. I'm trying to work out why it's written off. The body is great and the interior is great as well.

It's a Talladega model so it has the swish leather interior. It also has a "turbosmart" manual boost control, a sport rear muffler, a Kenwood stereo and the convert roof looks great.

I've got the battery on charge now and I'm going to give it a kick in the guts tomorrow and see what happens.

I can't believe how good it looks

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re

It looks great,isnt there a way to get it back on the road? Mabe it was stolen and then recovered or something like that.Its a shame if it doesnt haunt the hiways again!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what we call over here a "statutory write off" which means never to be re-registered.

I just can't work out why its been written off ?.

I'm hoping its not because it has a blown motor and gearbox :-(
Everything at a glance looks good.

I'm going to try to start it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
I just can't work out why its been written off ?.
The answer is quite obvious. Someone went and put the steering wheel on the wrong side. It's crazy, man! Man that is a beautiful example of a fine car. I just parted out my black '95 vert and I miss it. Good find for you, I hope.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to give it a kick in the guts tomorrow. I'll see what happens :eek:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would love to have a RHD car in the states. looks clean. Im interested to see whats gonna happen!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
man I wish you were in the states and going to part it out I would take all the door panels and trim peices, I cant get lucky here and find any for my vert

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Why did you buy it? Your is in very good shape. Would make a good track car if it wasn't a vert. Does the shift knob allow for the lift up ring to still work? I'd trade you mine for it as that rosewood coloring would match my trim. Mine is in good shape, just a little soft for my liking.

Also, if the PO's name is on the registration or can be found, you might be able to get answers from them (don't give them your address though LOL)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It's a shame the car can't be registered again -- probably not worth the expense to try and export it where it could be put back on the road.

Still, looks like a great source of options. Either parts for yourself, parts to sell (or both) or possibly as a major doner to resurrect a badly damaged (but still eligible to be registered) car.

Looks like later 9-3 SE bumpers, some nice interior bits along with the complete drive train and suspension.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why did you buy it? Your is in very good shape. Would make a good track car if it wasn't a vert. Does the shift knob allow for the lift up ring to still work? I'd trade you mine for it as that rosewood coloring would match my trim. Mine is in good shape, just a little soft for my liking.

Also, if the PO's name is on the registration or can be found, you might be able to get answers from them (don't give them your address though LOL)
I bought it mainly to have a spare gearbox.
The gearknob is a cheapy non-lift up.
The car came with no papers, nothing at all.

Nice find... did the girl come with it?
That's my daughter. Keep your filthy old man eyes off her :lol:.

It's a shame the car can't be registered again -- probably not worth the expense to try and export it where it could be put back on the road.

Still, looks like a great source of options. Either parts for yourself, parts to sell (or both) or possibly as a major doner to resurrect a badly damaged (but still eligible to be registered) car.

Looks like later 9-3 SE bumpers, some nice interior bits along with the complete drive train and suspension.
I'm going to keep the Motor, gearbox and drivetrain and parts out the rest.

·
Registered
805 Posts
any update old boy?

Looks in pretty good nick! Is that the MBC above the airbox?

Mate if it has the stock amp or a TD04 I'd be interested :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got it started, Blown head gasket tho. Which I don't care about because I was always going to rebuild the engine. The gearbox seems fine ;ol;.

It's got a T-25 Dan, Yeah that's the MBC near the airbox.

Do ya' Need Talladega interior ? :p.

·
Registered
805 Posts
nice home video mate! I was waiting for you to put the top down. Doesn't look like a write-off, seems to run about ok there.

Anything you need to use from it right now, or is it just for future-proofing when you start tearing up the transmission in QIK900?

if you do find a stock amp/wiring behind the glovebox, let me know :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice home video mate! I was waiting for you to put the top down. Doesn't look like a write-off, seems to run about ok there.

Anything you need to use from it right now, or is it just for future-proofing when you start tearing up the transmission in QIK900?

if you do find a stock amp/wiring behind the glovebox, let me know :)
I just got the car for the gearbox and driveline. It's only a matter of time before I shred mine :lol:.

I'll have a look for ya' Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Found some info on the rightoff:

"All NSW light vehicles written-off from 31 January 2011 are classified as 'statutory write-offs' on the WOVR and these vehicles can only be used for scrap or for parts. "

I'm not sure, but does this mean that you don't pass the rego inspection and fail to repair the vehicle, it will be written off?... Crazzzy legislation.... Proof that Vic is superior to NSW. =p

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found some info on the rightoff:

"All NSW light vehicles written-off from 31 January 2011 are classified as 'statutory write-offs' on the WOVR and these vehicles can only be used for scrap or for parts. "

I'm not sure, but does this mean that you don't pass the rego inspection and fail to repair the vehicle, it will be written off?... Crazzzy legislation
Thanks seabench, I done a bit of digging around as well and that's what I have found as well. It does seem crazy. I can apply to have the car re-registed, but it's coming apart. Watch the for sale section if anybody wants parts. Things will be going cheap.

. Proof that Vic is superior to NSW. =p
:nono; Typical Mexican :cheesy:.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts