SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story and I'm too new to post pics, but I think you'll like it.
Wife's girlfriend bought a 900s new in 1992. blue, 5spd, blue leather. She loved it enough to buy another and the first one sat in her driveway for four years!
She gave it to me rather than see it die a slow death. She said she was giving to either me or my son. My son (Ian) kept calling and texting with build suggestions. I was going for a Rally car, he didn't like that. In one long conversation he lamented how he liked the 900 we had when he was growing up, I explained how I liked ice racing a 96.

"Hey, find me a 96, and I'll give you the 900".

Done!

Two hours later he found one in Queens NYC. Pretty rust free, only surface rust on the outside, underneath is super clean. 1972, V-4. Tan, tan interior, new headliner.

Guy dropped it off for a hum & a buff, then passed away. Been sitting for 12 years. He got it for $1200.

How many posts do I need to put up photos?

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the answer is 8. Here's a pic of the 96. Dropping off a 900s at my son's house, not all giddy about a car trailer in Queens.

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! What are your plans for the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hit the road at 5am to drop the 900 off at my son's house three hours away, then headed to Queens for the 96. Once in your life you should drive a car trailer through Queens! Oy.
I called Ian Saturday after noon and he already had the seats and carpet out, the headliner was drooping so that came out too. He's replacing the stock material with Swedish Tartan. He seems happy with it.

Quick question though: In the center of the 96's firewall is a T handle that connects to the transmission, I assume this is for free wheeling. Which direction is engage/disengage?

Thanks, Dan

Finally headed home.

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts
Yeah, just driving through Queens was enough for me... never mind towing a trailer... lol

I *think* pushing it in disengages the freewheel but it would only take you a second to verify while driving. The freewheel is weak and not needed on the V4, so I eliminated mine.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Nice! Are you planning on doing a build thread for this? I’m sure many here would follow that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, other than a junk yard, where can I find 96 tail lights?
I need the lenses and all the hardware.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, no luck there; I will probably go with a fuel cell.
In the mean time, I wet sanded the hood and made my interpretation of the Saab Griffin. Going to leave the "patina" but under the hood I am pulling the engine for clean and paint. The engine bay will b e painted gloss white while the engine will be Saab flag blue with yellow plug wires. It will also give me a chance to power wash under the engine! Oy, it's nasty!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Folks, I may end up with a fuel cell which offers 0-90 ohms, 70-10 or 240-33 ohms. Which selection would work with the OEM gage?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts
Folks, I may end up with a fuel cell which offers 0-90 ohms, 70-10 or 240-33 ohms. Which selection would work with the OEM gage?

Thanks.
Throw a multimeter on your old sender if possible...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After multiple leads and efforts, I can't get paperwork for this car. The PO dropped it off at a body shop and then passed away. It sat in their yard for 12 years.

Currently: I pulled the engine out, cleaned up the engine bay, painted the engine Ford blue. The interior is out as I welded in new metal at the foot pedals, then applied seam sealer. The wheels are painted Navy blue, no tires on yet.

Plans: I was going to put it on the road painted up as a Panamericana tribute car but without paperwork that's not happening.
I will advertise it with the local ice racing community first, but it could also be a cool Rally car.

I have ~$1400. invested and would like to get that back. I plan on putting the engine back in and make it run, but I'm not going to invest a bunch of time and money into something I can't drive. I will also reassemble the interior.

I will put on some tires that are round, black and hold air just to roll it around. Car is located in upstate New York.

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts
On a vehicle that old, you might be able to title it with just a bill of sale...? Worth looking into.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not in New York.

If you're new to ice racing-Rally and don't have a trailer, I'll throw in a free tow bar. Flat tow the 96 with the free-wheel option.

·
Super Moderator
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car was Titled in NY once, it's in their system. I would have to go through probate, lawyers etc with next of kin. Issues come up when a relative says "I remember that car, lets have it back" or something like that.

Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts