SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an 89 Saab 900 na, the other day while i was out in front of my friends house the idle started fluctuating and she died. I tried starting her back up and when she turned over i couldnt give her any gas and she would just die again. The engine would turn over and everything it just wouldnt stay running.

While at work my buddy went over and put more gas in her and she started up.

We got her back to the house and when I turn it over she idles low and is making a slightly ticking noise. I replaced the spark plugs and took her for a ride, she died on me within the first minute. Started up again and proceeded to drive around, when i would get into second and start letting out the clutch she would struggle and want to die again. She IS running just not very smoothly.

Also the check engine light is on, is there a way that i can check that without a reader?

Any ideas?
Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try filling up your tank. If it runs fine at full, but dying at under 1/2 tank, it could well be your pre-pump. The pre-pump's pickup is lower than the main fuel pump's and if it's not working, only the main pump is trying to pull fuel, which it cannot do without the pre-pump. (I think I have this right).

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Try filling up your tank. If it runs fine at full, but dying at under 1/2 tank, it could well be your pre-pump. The pre-pump's pickup is lower than the main fuel pump's and if it's not working, only the main pump is trying to pull fuel, which it cannot do without the pre-pump. (I think I have this right).
Seconded .. make sure you have a pretty full tank , if that changes things , definitely a Dying Pre pump .

Your comment re your buddy adding fuel suggests that you are on the tank dregs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys!
I will try all of this when I get home from work.

And stupid question but I have never heard of the pre-pump, only the main fuel pump. If it is faulty it should just be a quick replacement correct?

Really appriciate all the help!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, sort of-
the pump/pre-pump assembly (that's the only way you can get it) is held in with a ring nut. I was able to get it loose by *carefully* tapping it (round) loose with a big blade screwdriver. As I remember, it's a hassle to access.
The usual gasoline-related precautions apply...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts