SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the partial power steering sydrome? My power steering is only at about 50% capacity and or thereabouts. When I attempt to navigate a turn, the steering wheel is hard to turn, but upon executing the turn, it gets somewhat easier, only to revert back to a hard turn. I am begining to wonder if it may be my power steering pump? The cv joints look recent (purchased car in October 2007 from original owner). The gear box doesn't whine or leak, and the cv joint boots are not ruptured, nor are the joints themselves clicking. Might there be air in the system? The reservoir is up to level, although I did see some seepage/air bubbles coming from the ps reservoir cap? Otherwise, is a power steering pump another pita to deal with? I even sprayed the v-belts to no avail! Besides being very patient and mechanically inclined I don't mind the repairs, the car is a to have joy! Its just that winter is at our door step! Other than that if I can wait until the spring of 08 I shall indeed do so. What say you? Please all input would be greatly appreciated!:)

Best Regards

1991 900 turbo SE 16Valve 2.0 A.T. with 174,000 plus original miles I am the second owner.

·
4,637 Posts
Try this experiment:

With the engine running, turn the wheel lock to lock. If the stiffness comes and goes as you turn, it's probably a stiff universal joint on the steering column. It's usually the one just above where it clamps to the steering rack. Soaking that in penetrating oil might free it up or you can just replace it. Two clamp bolts, one in the footwell, the other on the rack and a big rubber grommet to refit...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cdaly said:
Try this experiment:

With the engine running, turn the wheel lock to lock. If the stiffness comes and goes as you turn, it's probably a stiff universal joint on the steering column. It's usually the one just above where it clamps to the steering rack. Soaking that in penetrating oil might free it up or you can just replace it. Two clamp bolts, one in the footwell, the other on the rack and a big rubber grommet to refit...
Thnnks, I shall do so tommorow. Could I use some PB Blaster for this task? In fact, as I can recall turning the wheel in this fashion, and it sort of exhibit as to what you just stated. This stiffness is a pita, especially when driving on the hwy and or trying to navigate a quick turn while driving in the city! Thanks again, I will keep you posted:) !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts