SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys pay to have one bent and once scratched rim fixed or get new ones?

Please give all the advice you care to type. Is it horrible on the suspension if its bent just a little? I cant really feel it driving around but the guy who changed my tires told me it was bent (not the saab dealer, so they arent trying to get $).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is it off-balance? Do you feel any vibration at high speed? If any one of these 2 questions is yes, I would advise you to replace it. If not, you can still live with them. The only real concern is when they crack. That would be a safety issue.

I bent a rim once and it was so bad that it was barely driveable luckily it was a steel rim that can be bought for $10.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the roads on st. marys / hillsborough / downtown raleigh are so bad its really hard to tell if its my car or the road. I rarely get a chance to let it go.. but when I do get to go above 70 I am not feeling anything other than what I believe to be small bumps in the road.

I have noticed lately (past 5 mths) that my cars steering wheel like to settle to the left when coming to a stop/slowing down. I have to turn 90 degrees on a big incline every day which I attribute to part of this problem.. would that make sense? I get alignments about every 6 mths, is this avg?

thanks for the helps fellas.

Cojoroh, I'll be looking for your SS man.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well if your in the market for som 17x8 like i am I would just make the change. I want better grip for the on and off ramps from and to the expressways. Now if your content with your 16" wheels then take to local body shop and have them get a refurb one. Its not as nice but with your old wheel as a core you will be out of 100 bux at the most.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The scratched rim presents only cosmetic concerns unless it is cracked.

The bent rim is probably OK if you don't feel a vibration. It may present a problem with mounting or balancing the tire. If the wheel can't be balanced, I doubt you will be given warranty coverage for the any new tire you put on that rim.

The other thing to watch for is slow leaks due to poor seating of the bead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had my 17" repaired last year for some scratches at the shop and they where asking me whether I've been driving it with a flat tire. I've heard people where saying that the OEM wheels have softer alloy and easily to get it bent. Anyhow, I had it fixed and looked brand new again. It's not cheap for the repair but still alot cheaper than new onces. I think this is a common problem with low profile wheels.

Check this thread
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34666

1 - 7 of 7 Posts