SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had the piping and muffler replaced on my Linear, though I did leave the factory resonator in place because I feared cabin noise. I was very happy when I picked it up... you can hardly tell it's there when the car is at idle. If you walk behind it, you can hear a slight rumble that wasn't present with the stock muffler, but that's it. Through the rev's, it starts off with a very low rumble and then the pitch increases (but it never whines or sounds ricey like someone slapped a coffee can on stock Honda piping). At 4.5-5K rpms you can hear the exhaust note start to get choppy... apparently this is the effect a turbo has on muffler sound. When you get off the gas, it goes back to a huge, deep tone with a slight burble... which sounds pretty sweet. I couldn't imagine not having the resonator on! You can sort of hear it cruising at 60mph in 5th gear, but it's not bad at all, just a slight bit of extra noise.

*EDIT*

Here's a video clip:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=magnaflow9371

Here are some quick pictures (my car is dirty!):

The best part is that this whole thing cost me $30... muffler, pipe and install. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
A cat back exhaust for less than the price of a trim kit. What's not to love there? Looks good. And the home-made opening treatment isn't really that notable unless you get really low, like the second shot. What a deal!

Glad you like the tone, also. I'm having my cat-back done on thursday, and will also have a resonator, though not the stock one. I was torn between with or without the resonator.

BTW, that's one of the cleanest dirty cars I've seen.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver always looks clean until you get up close. The pollen here in southern Maine is ridiculous this year. Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
your announcer didn't seem too thrilled to be holding the video camera ;-)

$30? You're kidding us, right? That looks like a very professional installation!! Nice catch!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Automaggot said:
Silver always looks clean until you get up close. The pollen here in southern Maine is ridiculous this year. Thanks for the comment!
Yeah, that's why I picked it as well. :) My last one was Cayenne, and it was just a bit easier to keep clean than a black car, unfortunately.

As for the $30, didn't you or your father win a magnaflow certificate in a golf outing or something? Excellent that you had a need for that; saved quite a bit of coin.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does anyone's Magnaflow knock against the underside of the trunk when going over large bumps in the road? Mine does, and it's getting annoying.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
black_linear said:
Any change in performance from the catback install? Faster spooling? I wonder how much the resonator affects performance.
I didn't really notice any change to be quite honest. I did it for cosmetic and sound reasons (call me rice!).

Does anyone's Magnaflow knock against the underside of the trunk when going over large bumps in the road? Mine does, and it's getting annoying.
Mine doesn't knock at all. The guys used two hangers on each side and it stays perfectly in place.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey BoZo9k, your exhaust looks great! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for all the parts and installation. Also, what's the part number on the muffler? I looked on the Magnaflow website and they have one with 2.5" tips and another with 3" tips. From the underneath it looked like a cat-back system, is it bolt on or weld?

And to everyone here with Magnaflow mufflers, do you notice any performance increase? Does the sound ever get annoying when just cruising to and from work?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AeroSwede said:
All I am thinking is; when you are driving around in your twin exhaust linear, who´s cruising the Aero vert? your wife? :cool:
LOL. That's my fathers. I'm not married, thank god. I'm only 22.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Automaggot said:
LOL. That's my fathers. I'm not married, thank god. I'm only 22.
Well is your father married? Tell him that you need the car better if he wants you to provide him with grandchildren :cheesy:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Turbopowered said:
Hey BoZo9k, your exhaust looks great! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for all the parts and installation. Also, what's the part number on the muffler? I looked on the Magnaflow website and they have one with 2.5" tips and another with 3" tips. From the underneath it looked like a cat-back system, is it bolt on or weld?

And to everyone here with Magnaflow mufflers, do you notice any performance increase? Does the sound ever get annoying when just cruising to and from work?

Thats Weld, 3'' Tips and cost me 350ish at a local performance shop near me, i prolly need to take a video, it really sounds amazing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts