SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...upon attempting to replace the shift shaft seal, I've come to the conclusion that I need to pull the motor. The previous owner had attempted to pull the seal, and it was already a little boogered up, so not much to work with.

The transmission makes a slight whine in 4th and 5th anyway, so if I'm going to pull the engine I probably should not put the trans back in without a rebuild. Problem is a rebuild at a shop costs around $1500.

Has anyone here done a trans rebuild without haviing to use a bunch of the special tools?

The hard part seems to be setting backlash, etc. I read the "fix my saab" tutorial, but he stopped short of explaining how to put the thing back together!

Should I attempt to rebuild this trans myself??????

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
We used to charge 1/2 hour labor to change the Shift Shaft Seal.
You've got it up to about $2000.
Consult a professional.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in rural Colorado - nearest Saab experts are 3 hour drive from here. I'm pulling the motor and trans, replacing oil pump and crankshaft seals, etc. Looking to have the trans rebuilt or find a freshly rebuilt replacement trans. This transmission probably has close to 200,000 miles on it at this point. Anybody with any ideas on where to get my transmission rebuilt or find a good one in Colorado?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts