SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm have a code of random misfire put in new plugs checked dic and it seems good. Here's the thing I do not here the fuel pump running at all but the car will start and run but some times will jerk when I give more gas or go into the boost with power loss it pulls good in first but falls on its face after that it seems as if it is not getting enough fuel. The plugs seem very dry and almost white in color at the tip like there not getting fuel. So we're do I start on this ?? Is there some to check other then the fuel pump. I have plains to pull the pump and check to see if the screens are clean check all the hoses on and around the pump. But after that what should I check before going out and buying a new pump???and is the pump out of a 2.3 na car the same pump that's in my 2.0t??
Thanks for your help guys
Thanks Jamie

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It's hard to say what's what as I'm not sure what routine maintenance has been done to the car. If I had to guess, I'd say your vacuum lines need replaced. Then see if the car runs better or not. The fuel filter is under the rear of the car, just ahead of the passenger side rear wheel, near the center of the car. They cost about $15, and come with 4 new copper washers. If it's original, it's a safe bet it needs replaced. The DIC might be failing too. Does the misfire happen once the car is at normal operating temps, or just when the engine is cold?

Even if a vacuum line looks OK, they have a tendency to rot or split in one area, and not in another. For $10 or so, you can replace the whole lot of them. Replace the ones going to the turbo and BPC as well. I suggest doing this, then see how the car runs and report back ;ol;

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The misfire seems there at all the times. Going to do v lines,dic ( local Saab garage gave me one to try that is good) change vaulve cover gasket,chech head bolts (hoping its not a bad head gaske), put on a new fuel filter and pull the pump to see if the pick up is dirty. After that i should no something I hope
Should be fun weekend lol!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
check your plug gap, this sounds like a common misdiagnosis of spark blow out. an excessive gap (PLUGS ARE NEVER CORRECTLY GAPPED OUT OF BOX. Dont care what anyone says.) can cause the spark to literally be blown out under high loads (post 1st gear) or high cyl pressures (WOT). this misfire then gets sent down to the O2 sensor and tells the sensor oh hey im running rich (unburnt fuel from the misfire), lets lean out the mixture. and since it cannot only lean out on cyl, they all run lean causing white (hot) plugs. a good sign of a failing DIC with misfire is a flashing check engine light.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What code are you getting exactly? Are you getting any CEL flashes on the dash? Sounds like a problem I had when my map sensor failed. If your HG is failing you'd be overheating, using coolant and creaming your dip stick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Week I did a compression check and the numbers are #1 140 #2 140 #3 130 #4 140 so I think my head gasket is ok. Put v line on tb and put in a used good dic. Going to take her in minute and see what happens

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
???????

Took her and she WAS running good went down to put some
Gas in her and the check engine light came on not sure what code it is throwing but do you think this could be a fuel problem??this is what I have done to her. New v lines off the tb cleaned tb new cps new plugs checked the compression seems ok put on a used good dic. Plugs look lean as if there not getting enough fuel so next I will be doing fuel filter and fuel pump. But before the pump and filter I think I'll go get the code pulled and if it's still random misfire do guys think it could be fuel?? If not what do you think??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checking codes

Well turned the car on but didn't start it and the check engine light just stayed on never flashed or went off. I waited for about minute and the light just stayed on??? I guess I'm going to have to bring it in to get hooked to the machine. I was also wondering were to hook up the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel system??? I have one from autozone but can't seem to figure out were it hooks up??? I have the t adapter for the fuel:evil:
Line BUT were do I tap in
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
blink codes are for obd-I cars. yours should be obdII and will be able to get direct codes with a free rented scanner from autozone.

Everyone I've talked to says the misfire codes are dic related, and even a brand new one wont guarantee those codes don't throw again. I would suggest seeing if you can clear your codes, then switch in a known good dic and see what happens after 20 miles of mixed driving or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts