SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs. certainly thinks so because I'm about to take the plunge and finally tune my 03 Aero. :cool:

So I figure if I'm going to do it...do it right. Now what to do...Nordic Stage 3? Maptun Stage 5 (YEAH BABY!) or do I just keep it simple and do a BSR PPC? I don't think I'd ever be truly happy unless I went all out for the Stage 5...but then is it worth putting that kind of $$$ into it?

BTW...this all started the other night when I was completely embarrassed by a VW R32 and my wife laughed at me! :cry:

Maybe it would be best just to wait it out one more year when warranty is done?

decisions...decisions...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If you want some really serious stages of tune 5+, you need Nordic or MapTun, talk to them, tell them your goal, see what they say ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
You think you've got an itch, I haven't won a single race every time I went to the drag strip. My best was 15.1 @ 97 mph and the car only seems to have a 2.4 60' time in it with the stock suspension. I was pulling on a trans am though my last run. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
cryptical said:
The Mrs. certainly thinks so because I'm about to take the plunge and finally tune my 03 Aero. :cool:

So I figure if I'm going to do it...do it right. Now what to do...Nordic Stage 3? Maptun Stage 5 (YEAH BABY!) or do I just keep it simple and do a BSR PPC? I don't think I'd ever be truly happy unless I went all out for the Stage 5...but then is it worth putting that kind of $$$ into it?

BTW...this all started the other night when I was completely embarrassed by a VW R32 and my wife laughed at me! :cry:

Maybe it would be best just to wait it out one more year when warranty is done?

decisions...decisions...

How'd you get embarrassed by a VW R32? :confused:

Stage 5? That sounds nice. How much hp would that gain?

G

·
I was only ever going to go for a stage 1..... Ha that's a laugh, its well addictive. Chris is right make sure you pick a tuner that can take you all the way. Even if you don't decide to go past stage 1, then you can if you change your mind.

Raven you should know by now that the 9-5 is no good at pull away's... what's your 0-60 mph time?? :)

G

·
aero1116 said:
Stage 5? That sounds nice. How much hp would that gain?
Depends on the model of 9-5 you start with and what tuner you use. But a 2ltr will be up near 280+bhp and the 2.3ltr might well be over the magic 300+bhp :cheesy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
How's your stage 4.2 car working out for you BobSaab?

Any problems with reliability/traction/gearbox/anything else?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Finn said:
Raven you should know by now that the 9-5 is no good at pull away's... what's your 0-60 mph time?? :)
Sub 7's I think, I don't know really, to busy hanging onto the wheel to do anything else. The drag strip measures the time it takes to reach 60 feet, basically a measure of how well you launch and 2.4 seconds is complete and total rubbish. Civics get off the line faster than I do. I want to hit 13's, I'm gonna need a lota power to compensate for that rubbish launch.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How's your stage 4.2 car working out for you BobSaab?

Any problems with reliability/traction/gearbox/anything else?
It is tight, sweet, and very fast.

No probs in any areas.

Keep in mind tho that I am relatively conservative at this point, and it is an autobox. I am not WOT all that much; use the S mode only occasionally. But when I do...holy moly that thing will go from 75 to 115 MPH in an instant. You definitely have to pay attention...

I just can't resist when some MB is pushing me from behind in the left lane, I just stomp on it and bang! I am gone brother!

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I was happy that even stock, not much was really running away from me at the drag strip. So how do these upgrades where they give you the ECU work? Do you have to send it away every time you want something changed?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I was happy that even stock, not much was really running away from me at the drag strip. So how do these upgrades where they give you the ECU work? Do you have to send it away every time you want something changed?
Yes kinda!

You send them an ECU they remap it.

For example I have sent Nordic my stock ECU with a new base saab software map, for them to custom tune, and the stage 4 stays in my car while I wait ;)

Either that or you pay a charge which is refunded when you send them your old ECU after fitting their new one ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys...been out all day playing in the sunshine! :cheesy:

To answer a few questions...

1) yes it is a manual transmission
2) Maptun Stage 5 #'s are 340hp & 480Nm of torque
3) as far as the VW R32....I don't know! Man we were playing around through some nice roads, and when we got to a light. We both knew we were going to launch. He pulled right ahead, I got to 3rd gear and was right behind him....then he was just gone :eek:

I suppose I should wait it out for another year to get what I can out of warranty. Thing is, I know someone right now that works at a SAAB indy who's psyched to install everything with me for a nice grilled dinner and a case of assorted good beers. I figure that might be too good to pass up on :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
cryptical said:
Sorry guys...been out all day playing in the sunshine! :cheesy:

To answer a few questions...

1) yes it is a manual transmission
2) Maptun Stage 5 #'s are 340hp & 480Nm of torque
3) as far as the VW R32....I don't know! Man we were playing around through some nice roads, and when we got to a light. We both knew we were going to launch. He pulled right ahead, I got to 3rd gear and was right behind him....then he was just gone :eek:

I suppose I should wait it out for another year to get what I can out of warranty. Thing is, I know someone right now that works at a SAAB indy who's psyched to install everything with me for a nice grilled dinner and a case of assorted good beers. I figure that might be too good to pass up on :cheesy:
Ahh, so you tried to take him from a dig. :nono;

As far as I know, the 9-5 is useless from a dig (I got outlaunched by a civic). Only from a roll for the aero.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts