SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure what the hose is that needs to be replaced. I took a bunch of photos (see below) of the area where you can see the green anti-freeze all over the area and appears to be coming from that house. I haven't replaced any of my car's hoses yet and it just ticked over 100k a month or so ago. Firstly, could anyone tell me what hose this is? Secondly, would I be okay not fixing this for a little while and then replacing most/all of the hoses when the weather gets warmer and I get more time to do so. It doesn't leak that much, but I don't want to be stuck where it ends up bursting and leaking everything out of the system.

I apologize for the photos, as they are not of the finest quality...but it is quite a difficult place to take a photo of with good lighting. For reference, this is on the very left side of the engine bay at the front of the car, somewhat close to the headlight. I guess I could be incorrect about this being the anti-freeze leak (what is it then?), but I know there is one because when I changed my oil this morning there was some green liquid in the area and this was the only cause I could see.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Frank_Drebin said:
Got any of it zoomed Out? I can't tell where this is.

Its down the hole where that green arrow is pointing. The actual hose is the one with the small green dots on it, im not sure what it is running from/to.

Hope that gives you some reference.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The second pic is excellent...This shows the engine comparment RS(sepentine belt area) ..
The "green dot" hose could be coolant for the turbocharger ???
I don't even know that this this is a coolant hose, at least for a 900ng...

IMO, at the 100 K, 7 year mark, nearly all of the coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, maybe even PS hoses shoube closely examined , changed as necessary and the condition of their supports and mounts be known to be good..

The fluid levels , how are they ?? And how quickly do they drop ?

The most likely hose to quit seems to be the heater hose set, around $ 30 from eEuroParts; quickly followed by the upper radiator hose...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i have a coolant leak too. i can see some wet-green signs when i take the grill out and i guess it's something next to radiator. i will also take couple pictures.

how often do u have to refill the cooland liquid?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
rc89pl said:
i have a coolant leak too. i can see some wet-green signs when i take the grill out and i guess it's something next to radiator. i will also take couple pictures.

how often do u have to refill the cooland liquid?
Coolant leaks can be hard to track. You could pressurize the system and listen for hissing. I found a coolant leak this way. I took an airhose, connected to the tank via the return inlet and capped the inlet hose. Put about 10psi on it and watched for bubbles and listened for hissing. On mine the Oring at the waterpump/block was leaking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fluid levels are fine, coolant drops very slowly over long periods of time. I think i've topped it up twice (just using a little bit of water) over 5 months now. I changed the oil today and it seemed a little low, but I had let the change run a little longer than usual...so some could have been burnt off. I think I will just end up ordering hoses to replace them all and just take care of it during my spring break in 2 months.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cbliss6 said:
Fluid levels are fine, coolant drops very slowly over long periods of time. I think i've topped it up twice (just using a little bit of water) over 5 months now. I changed the oil today and it seemed a little low, but I had let the change run a little longer than usual...so some could have been burnt off. I think I will just end up ordering hoses to replace them all and just take care of it during my spring break in 2 months.
Off topic, but I see that you have a MBC+A, how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it at all? I ask because I'm going to be getting one soon.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
white96850turbo said:
Off topic, but I see that you have a MBC+A, how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it at all? I ask because I'm going to be getting one soon.....
I really like it, it gave the car a bunch more power and really made it jump from a car that was fun to drive to a car that was a blast to drive. Everytime I stomp on the gas it really brings a smile to my face; it creates a very noticeable difference. I got mine through SPATL and I must say it was a great decision as he was very helpful in guiding me through the installation. I've had it on for 10k or so now and haven't had any problems so far. Although my car just hit the 100k mark so now its time for me to start caring for it a little bit more and do some preventative matienance.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The hose with the dots looks like the 1st power steering pressure line. So, if you have coolant leaking, it would not be from that hose.

To make sure, all you have to do it remove the flexible air intake hose (that only takes a screwdriver to loosen the clamps), and see where that line is connected.

(some power steering fluid has a dye in it, so it could be any color)

edit:

(here's what it looks like with the air intake hose removed)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cbliss6 said:
I really like it, it gave the car a bunch more power and really made it jump from a car that was fun to drive to a car that was a blast to drive. Everytime I stomp on the gas it really brings a smile to my face; it creates a very noticeable difference. I got mine through SPATL and I must say it was a great decision as he was very helpful in guiding me through the installation. I've had it on for 10k or so now and haven't had any problems so far. Although my car just hit the 100k mark so now its time for me to start caring for it a little bit more and do some preventative matienance.
Cool, thanks for the info, how much hp do you think you picked up? 30-40 hp?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PMI said:
The hose with the dots looks like the 1st power steering pressure line. So, if you have coolant leaking, it would not be from that hose.

To make sure, all you have to do it remove the flexible air intake hose (that only takes a screwdriver to loosen the clamps), and see where that line is connected.

(some power steering fluid has a dye in it, so it could be any color)

edit:

(here's what it looks like with the air intake hose removed)
The hose is the one that is listed as the pressure line leaving from the pump outlet. So thats the power steering pump right there? Interesting...i definitely see coolant so its probably coming from somewhere else. Perhaps I have two small little leaks, doh!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Cbliss6 said:
Perhaps I have two small little leaks, doh!
That is possible. Small leaks from the p/s hoses can persist for years, without losing much fluid, while making a mess. Steering fluid from that hose often ends up on the front subframe cross member, and you can only see it using a strong flashlight shining straight down.

The power steering pump is on top, the coolant pump below that, and the A/c compressor on the bottom. You can only see the coolant pump well, after removing the power steering pump. If you are trying to get to the coolant pump, you don't actually have to disconnect the p/s pump from the hoses (like in the pic below). If you remove it from the bracket, there is just enough room to move it aside, and leave the p/s hoses connected, and the power steering system sealed and intact.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Cbliss6 said:
The hose is the one that is listed as the pressure line leaving from the pump outlet. So thats the power steering pump right there? Interesting...i definitely see coolant so its probably coming from somewhere else. Perhaps I have two small little leaks, doh!
It can't be the power steering pump pressure or return pipe, if it really is coolant.

The only thing on that side that can leak underneith is the wp weep hole, meaning they start to leak to warn you the wp is going out and it gives you some time. The wp lower rad hose that goes from the wp to the radiator. Maybe the clamp is loose or its cut into the lower rad hose. Check you're wp clamps on that one. The other places on that side are the o-ring where the coolant hard line goes into the wp housing on the side or possibly that small U shaped hose could also be leaking or have a lose clamp. I think that is it:

Wp weep hole, wp o-ring from hard coolant line. U shape hose from hard coolant line to wp, the lower radiator hose to wp. Has to be one of those if its really coolant that is leaking.

Make sure one of you're oil lines that you have in the picture is not leaking, I had one of those leak on the crimped ends. Make sure its not the power steering lines that are leaking, some use Pentsion and its green too, I thought oe saab fluid is clear though. Check and see what fluid is low and what is being used up and check all the clamps and hoses. Clean it all off nice and see where the leak comes back!

John

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Cbliss6 said:

Its down the hole where that green arrow is pointing. The actual hose is the one with the small green dots on it, im not sure what it is running from/to.

Hope that gives you some reference.
The line you have green dots on is the power steering line....
John

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The water pump, Cbliss, the water pump.

Grasp its pulley and feel for slop or any rotation noise. If its Orings are old and hard, the leak will be very limited.

Thanks to PMI, this is being narrowed down to the pump, I suspect.
Credit Saab and GM with designing a durable pump, apparently, now the weakness is the Orings.

The pressure test should still be done....We cannot have any come-backs.......Frank Drebin has a good method.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John Z Williams said:
It can't be the power steering pump pressure or return pipe, if it really is coolant.

The only thing on that side that can leak underneith is the wp weep hole, meaning they start to leak to warn you the wp is going out and it gives you some time. The wp lower rad hose that goes from the wp to the radiator. Maybe the clamp is loose or its cut into the lower rad hose. Check you're wp clamps on that one. The other places on that side are the o-ring where the coolant hard line goes into the wp housing on the side or possibly that small U shaped hose could also be leaking or have a lose clamp. I think that is it:

Wp weep hole, wp o-ring from hard coolant line. U shape hose from hard coolant line to wp, the lower radiator hose to wp. Has to be one of those if its really coolant that is leaking.

Make sure one of you're oil lines that you have in the picture is not leaking, I had one of those leak on the crimped ends. Make sure its not the power steering lines that are leaking, some use Pentsion and its green too, I thought oe saab fluid is clear though. Check and see what fluid is low and what is being used up and check all the clamps and hoses. Clean it all off nice and see where the leak comes back!

John
I'm going to climb under my car tomorrow after work when it is warm & light out and so some investigating to try and find out what is really going on. Thanks for all the tips though, I will check out all the connections on hoses as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts