SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grabbed this 2000 9-5 with 109k on the clock from copart. I won the car for 200 and after fees it cost me 400. The car itself is in really good shape. Seems well cared for. The interior is pretty good for 21 years old. It has heated front and rear seats. a/c and heater work. Glass and paint is good. It has a salvage title and I will be applying for a rebuilt title. Vacuum lines look really new and it runs really well. No check engine lights and the engine sounds smooth. Brakes appear new as well.

While inspecting the car at home the plugs were old but correct and the dic was a chinese knockoff. I had a spare set of new plugs from before my wagons b235r engine upgrade and I had an oem spare dic and installed it with the plugs. It has the wrong coolant. It will need a drain and refill. It DOES NOT have the pcv system update. I am going to drop the pan and clean and reinstall the sump along with the pcv update. I have already sourced a matching door and fender to replace the damaged ones. The only "frame" damage present is the lower door hinge is pushed inwards slightly. The area seem like it will be very easy to access from the area left of the hood release. I will probably be able to convince it back into place from the inside out with some love. Besides that it will need tires and it will be on the road as my wife's commuter.

I also have a good TD04-15T Turbo from a 2004 Arc. Once I have the car registered and on the road. I am going to toss that turbo in and have MPS do a tune on the ECU.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,746 Posts
looks like a good fun project!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good deal, nice find! The damage doesn't look too bad, I think you could probably get that straightened out fairly easily.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmm... slide hammer on the hinge? I’d just be worried about damaging the hinge.

Definitely doesn’t look too terrible. I’m not a body guy though, so what do I know!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm... slide hammer on the hinge? I’d just be worried about damaging the hinge.

Definitely doesn’t look too terrible. I’m not a body guy though, so what do I know!
Neither am I! Just jumped on it for the good price. I was doing to try to come from the inside out. The dent is right next to the left drivers foot. I'm going to pull back the carpet and the panel that's their and aee if I can use a big hammer and a block of wood to get it close enough to align the door.

-barry

·
Registered
192 Posts
That’s where I would start too. You may be able to get at it from the inside, that would certainly make things easier. I have a feeling it may be reinforced there though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. I was able to access the inside of the car adjacent to the hinge area. There is actually I nice little cutout offering clear access to the dented area. However with a dollie and a 3lb sled I can not get it to move and with an air hammer I was also unsuccessful. This area is made out of some strong stuff!

My plan next is to use a 4x4 a 2x6 and bottle jack and try to push it out from the inside. The bottle jack will focus the load on the affected area and the 4x4 and 2x6 will distribute the load on right side of the inside of the driver area. Hopefully this will allow me to push the affected area out and closer into alignment.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm all for DIY solutions but...the base of the A-pillar is formed to support the weight of the door, windshield surround, cowl and roof and I wouldn't try to push it out using the bottle jack. I don't think you'll ever straighten out the crease. The right side of the driver footwell isn't as stout as the A-pillar and you'll deform it for sure. Have it pulled from the outside. Go to a body shop and ask how they'd do it and a cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts