SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've always liked BMWs myself and had the last year 2002 before they switched to the "3" Series concept.

Still, I like my Saab better as it is different vehicle especially with the small turbo powered engines although the straight sixes are nice motors.

The Saab brand also appeals to me more now than BMW which really is trying to compete with Mercedes and has lost some of its more sporting aspects in the process imho.

Jaime

·
Registered
231 Posts
BMW has a winner on their hands with the new 3. As the bread and butter of the BMW family, Chris Bangle has scored big with this design.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a 2000 323i back in late '99 and by far I like the 9-3 better. Not to mention I got a heck of a lot more options for the money. Don't get me wrong, I've had 3 BMW's already in my mere 34 years on this planet, and my current car is my first Saab. I still love the whole background history of BMW, and the cars they've produced in the past, but I'm still having fun with my 9-3!

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only reason I chose an Aero over the new 325i is BMW's terrible design. FAT FAT looking car ( the interior is almost perfect though) Its most probably superior to the Saab in many aspects, but then Bangle and Hooydonk- just keep away from my cars.
Theres also huge stereotyping going on with BMW drivers, and its probably true too. Most (not all) BMWs today are owned by the wreckless and incompetent,
on the other hand SAABs are driven beautifully.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, saw a black 325 2006 today and it's look very nice. But what make me choose 93 and not BMW? Insurance fees... 900$cnd for my SS and more than 2200$ :eek: for 3 serie or A4...and Saab are so ''unique'':cool: ...may be next time!?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
stryker said:
The only reason I chose an Aero over the new 325i is BMW's terrible design. FAT FAT looking car ( the interior is almost perfect though) Its most probably superior to the Saab in many aspects, but then Bangle and Hooydonk- just keep away from my cars.
Theres also huge stereotyping going on with BMW drivers, and its probably true too. Most (not all) BMWs today are owned by the wreckless and incompetent,
on the other hand SAABs are driven beautifully.
I'm convinced that turn signals are just not equipped on BMWs, or else don't work properly. There can't be that many people driving BMWs that don't know how to use a turn signal.

They are nice cars though but the stigma was essentially what kept me out of a 2004 330i - I'd drive it like it was meant to be driven, but people seeing me would think "just another BMW driver", whatever that means to them.

I'm not a fan of the new styling. The 3 is more acceptable than the 5 which is far more acceptable than the butt-ugly ugly-butted 7. I expect BMW's to be simple on the outside but exciting to drive. I wonder what made them feel they needed avant garde styling?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I was invited by BMW canada to test-drive the new 3 series 2 weeks ago. They set-up different fast slalom, emergency braking, emergency lane change courses for the invited attendees like myself, to put the new 3 series through it's paces.

General impressions:

Really nice attractive exterior, pleasantly surprised (given the not so nice spy pictures of it on the internet)

Interior is alright, just didn't like the second "dome" cluster housing the Nav. I think our 9-3SS SID dome looks nicer and placed at the right place. Interior materials used were top notch, well worthy of the BMW badge.

Fit/finish: Really tight and firm feel to the doors closing and opening. true to BMW quality.

Engine: Tested both the 325i and 330i, 215hp and 255 hp, respectively. I have a 2001 330i myself, so I can say that the silky smooth high acceleration engine is typical and the new 6 speed autotrans is remarkable. Don't feel the need to have a manual with those valvetronic engines.

Handling: Typical BMW. Took the cornering course (60 degree high speed cornering turns, plus turning through 120 degree turns at 30 mph without having to even step on the brakes, letting the tail slide a little before the RWD grabbed on again). everytime, we came out of the car following a part of the course, we had smiles :D on our faces. The whole time, the car was pretty much flat through the corner manuveres.
In the slalom course, the car was weaving through those cones (separated by 1.5 car lengths only) like it was dancing with it's "eyes" closed. No "body rolling" detected whatsoever. This was done at 50 mph.

Braking: Those huge brake discs and ABS made no issue with braking from 60 mph to 0mph.

Overall, i am impressed. But This has been what I have been pretty much experiencing with my own 2001 330i sport anyway. So no, I won't be changing it any day soon. :D

Is this better than the 9-3SS? Overall, yes. No question about it. But again, there isn't too many 9-3SS around, so I guess that makes the difference of having the 9-3SS. :cheesy:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I soooooooo nearly got myself a 2001 330ci sport instead of my 2203 93ss Aero. Just that BMW is now more common than Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra here in the UK.

If i could have parts from both cars i'd be well happy... !

Fit and finsish of the BMW
Rear wheel drive of BMW

Design of the 93 inside and out

BMW M3 engine give to Saab to Turbo up!!! ahhhhhhhhhh i'd park that car right next to my Aston V8 , 911 GT2, TVR Tuscan, Noble M400, Ferrari 430, Pagani Zonda, Lamborgiiiii..... ... blah blah

<wakes up>

:roll:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Saw one live for the 1st time yesterday. Stuck in $%#*& NJ traffic for awhile, so I got to get a good look. Was a 330i with the sport package, in graphite. Stunning. The last one was nice, but a bit conservative. This is a little more bold, but not too much - Didn't like the 7 series, the 5 was better, now the finally got it right, IMO . Front looks sharper, I like the tail lights, and I love the curving line down the side of the car. And it's a little bit bigger, which is good. I know they are all over the place, but I wouldn't care if I was driving this beauty

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow, I think this forum is turning into a 3-series admirers place. Strange for Saab, as it used to be the opposite.

Went to the showroom, seen the new 3, I think it looks ugly. Got the Aero. I may be biased though, having air force roots. And yeah, I cant get over the BMW driver stereotype thing. You see all kinds of jerks in them.

Okay, the 3 may be superior in many aspects but noone can make me regret that I bought a Swedish built Saab. Few years later, when Saabs wont be built in the hands of the Swedes, I may go for a BMW if and only if they dump Chris Bangle's designs. Because then, Saabs will most probably not be the Saabs we used know. Too bad GM already started to screw them up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I must admit it. I've never been a big Beemer-fan. But new 3-series really is the first BMW I like for its looks. No plans on changing my 9-3 for it though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Obviously a tad biased, but...

Not crazy about the new body styles on all of the BMW lineup from 3 to 7 series. Kinda boxy and plasticky looking, especially the trim pieces

The last generation body looked great, this new lineup doesnt do it for me

I couldnt agree that the 3 series is superior to the 93's. They are direct competitors.

The BMW might have the edge HP wise, but NM is no contest.

The 2.0 liter inline 4cyl Saab engine IMO is more efficient than the 2.5 liter inline 6 cyl BMW engine

My Linear walks past virtually every 323/325 I see on the highways...and something tells me they arent getting the gas mileage I am

And something tells me they pay a bit more for thier car insurance in addition to thier monthly car payments

When it comes down to it....for the price you pay for the 3 series, there is alot of competition out there that gives you similar specs in a car for less money. I dont understand why so many people keep buying them - the ultimate hype machine

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find it interesting that whenever BMW (and other similar brands) is mentioned, someone will mention that a lot of BMW buyers are image concious lemmings and/or jerks and how that fact influenced their purchase decision. Isn't this buyer just as image concious, if not more so, than the "typical" BMW buyer? That he is worried about that other people will think he is a lemming/jerk just because of the hood emblem?

Jerks will be jerks, whether they are driving a Ferrari or Ford F150.

I don't have a Saab or a BMW. Been looking at both for the past year and it will be September or later before a decision is made. Will check out the new IS250/350 as well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts